Closed Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Cruz leave?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueReign View Post
    Don't want to see Cruz go, pay the man! With that being said, we also need to pay Nicks whom which Cruz' success is predicated from.
    Luckily, we don't have to worry about Nicks until this time next year
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    241--

1) You again imply Cruz is not an extraordinary find by the Giants org when you state "Cruz was UDFA remember", as if any team can come with such a find, in any given season following the draft. Well no, they can't. Why do you think he received so much attention by the end of last year? In part because he did make some fantastic plays like his first career TD, vs Namdi, the juggle TD catch vs Seattle, and of course the 99 yarder Christmas Eve. But another big reason, not to be diminished, was because he was that good and because he'd been snubbed by the NFL Combine and had been overlooked by 31 other teams.

2) It doesn't matter what you--or any of us--would be "happy" to pay Cruz. It's a market place, and Cruz will justifiably look for a contract that adequately reflects the value he believes he gives the team, and in the context of what other receivers are getting that rank close to him. On the other hand, Cruz has gone out of his way to say publicly how much he wants to continue with the Giants, and that can make a difference in negotiations. And I believe him.

3) I happen to think he's not interested in "breaking the bank", but he does deserve a competitive contract--in terms of length and/or annual average with probably a guarantee of 1/4 or 1/3 of total contract as so many key player contracts seem to include these days.

4) For all any of us know, it could well be a contract worth 5-6 mill a year. There's been higher numbers relating to Cruz' "demands" thrown around on this board, but they are 100% without merit--zero sources to support such claims.
    1) marshall 4th round
    houzh 7th
    jennings 2nd
    nelson 2nd
    austin udfa
    jackson 2nd
    welker udfa
    colston 7th
    steve smith (panthers) 3rd
    And a bunch of other late 1st round picks are great recievers. it's not hard to find WR talent in the NFL.

Doesn't matter for the rest, you basically made the same points. I don't think Cruz's play this year justifies him getting a big contract,
    If they give him 5-6 million a year with the garunteed money not huge then I'd be happy with how Reese handled it.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    241--

1) You again imply Cruz is not an extraordinary find by the Giants org when you state "Cruz was UDFA remember", as if any team can come with such a find, in any given season following the draft. Well no, they can't. Why do you think he received so much attention by the end of last year? In part because he did make some fantastic plays like his first career TD, vs Namdi, the juggle TD catch vs Seattle, and of course the 99 yarder Christmas Eve. But another big reason, not to be diminished, was because he was that good and because he'd been snubbed by the NFL Combine and had been overlooked by 31 other teams.

2) It doesn't matter what you--or any of us--would be "happy" to pay Cruz. It's a market place, and Cruz will justifiably look for a contract that adequately reflects the value he believes he gives the team, and in the context of what other receivers are getting that rank close to him. On the other hand, Cruz has gone out of his way to say publicly how much he wants to continue with the Giants, and that can make a difference in negotiations. And I believe him.

3) I happen to think he's not interested in "breaking the bank", but he does deserve a competitive contract--in terms of length and/or annual average with probably a guarantee of 1/4 or 1/3 of total contract as so many key player contracts seem to include these days.

4) For all any of us know, it could well be a contract worth 5-6 mill a year. There's been higher numbers relating to Cruz' "demands" thrown around on this board, but they are 100% without merit--zero sources to support such claims.

FINALLY
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Youre only as good as your last season.

Being at a skill position like wr and rb that is.. qb's are more consistent but wr's and rb's can have one bad year and drop off quickly.

or one bad injury.

But that hasn't happened with Cruz and he's already set records in his first season. Your logic is silly, as Cruz is hands down the most explosive WR we've ever had. The Giants have always had possession receivers, I can't remember the last explosive WR we've had, possibly Stephen Baker but that was a long long time ago. Just admit it, you don't like Cruz because of all his commercials and publicity, not because you honestly think he's easily replaceable.

I don't care about his first season it's irellevant, Plaxico Burress had a good 2007-2008 year for us, should we sign him? And no, we haven't had a lot of good receivers period.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantsfan241 View Post
    I don't care about his first season it's irellevant, Plaxico Burress had a good 2007-2008 year for us, should we sign him? And no, we haven't had a lot of good receivers period.
    His whole body of work will determine what the offer will be. That includes back to back 1,000+ yards season, Pro Bowl selection, his drop issues, and his chemistry with Eli. Nothing is irrelevant.

He had an off year this year without Nicks commanding attention as he does when he's healthy. Cruz benefits off Nicks and didn't have a great season like the year before, he can't carry the load like Nicks did once.

Closed Thread