+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 88

Thread: What is the best giants team ever?

  1. #21
    1986 by a landslide. It's not even close. No miracle catches off a helmet or sideline heroics. Simply dominated.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Ne..._Giants_season

    Divisional playoffs 49-3 over Montana's 49ers
    Conference playoffs shutout the Redskins 17-0
    Super Bowl 39-20 over Denver

    Roster included 5 stud LB's
    Last edited by moosedrool; 01-12-2013 at 02:07 AM.

  2. #22
    Some would say the '56 team... That or the '86 team.

    In terms of historical context I'd have to say the 56 team. Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry on the staff, all those great players like Charlie Connerly, Sam Huff, Frank Gifford, the Rosies, etc.

    I think it doesn't get respect because it's been 50+ years... Before our times. But the Giants in that era were special (6 championship games in 8 years, so many innovations going on). The bad news is they lost 5 of those 6 championships and that's why history groans on them. But a staff that had Lombardi and Landry on it at the same time, just imagine!

    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 01-12-2013 at 06:44 AM.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    2008 would have been if Plaxico didn't shoot himself... but we got Nicks out of all that (no way in hell he would have fallen to 32 in the 2009 draft) so it all worked out.
    That's what I was going to say. Other than the Browns game that year this team dominated until the Plax shooting.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
    Is it the 1986 team or the 2007 team? Is it one of the pre merger teams? Or someone else?

    Like the answers but I'm surprised that the pre merger teams aren't coming up. YA tittle or the Sam Huff teams?
    The 2011 team by a country mile!
    As great as the '86 and 90 teams were, they weren't the best team in the NFL the next year like the 2011 team was!
    The 2011 team came the closest to repeating
    The 2011 team was the only team in the modern Giants era to win the division and even make the playoffs the season after a SB championship.

    I don't count the Sam Huff era because as great as those guys were in their time, the game was so different then, and those players don't compare to the athletes of today.

  5. #25
    1986 team was the best the 2008 Giant team was very good until Plax shot himself and the DLIne wore down.Im not sure if u guys remember but Fred Robbins was unstoppable at the beginning of that season. He was as good as I have ever seen a Giant DT until he got hurt that year,

  6. #26
    All-Pro B&RWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    7,830
    The '86 team would be the best. If you are comparing it to any team after '86 then you clearly don't remember the '86 team. IMO we beat a better Buffalo Bills team in '90. The Eli era hasn't been about dominance. Under TC we get hot and get on a roll. The most dominant TC team was 2008 and we shot ourselves in the foot that year . Hehehe, did you see what I did there, did you see what I did there?
    Last edited by B&RWarrior; 01-12-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: remove random hyperlink that I didn't add again

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    1986 team was the best the 2008 Giant team was very good until Plax shot himself and the DLIne wore down.Im not sure if u guys remember but Fred Robbins was unstoppable at the beginning of that season. He was as good as I have ever seen a Giant DT until he got hurt that year,
    The 86 team was great, but how can you say that they were better than the 2011 team when the 86 team didn't make the playoffs the next year?
    The 2011 team not only made the playoffs but won the division, and were the best team in the NFL.
    And could we please stop with the "til Plax shot himself" nonsense? It's a myth. Talk about what people remember....do you remember how mediocre a season Burress had been having in 2008, leading up to his shooting? Do you remember how everyone was ragging on Burress for dogging it after signing his new lucrative contract the offseason?
    Burress was having very little impact on that season in any meaningful or positive way......we weren't one and done because of his absence. He was already done for the season when the Giants won the Division.

  8. #28
    All-Pro B&RWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    7,830
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    The 86 team was great, but how can you say that they were better than the 2011 team when the 86 team didn't make the playoffs the next year?
    The 2011 team not only made the playoffs but won the division, and were the best team in the NFL.
    And could we please stop with the "til Plax shot himself" nonsense? It's a myth. Talk about what people remember....do you remember how mediocre a season Burress had been having in 2008, leading up to his shooting? Do you remember how everyone was ragging on Burress for dogging it after signing his new lucrative contract the offseason?
    Burress was having very little impact on that season in any meaningful or positive way......we weren't one and done because of his absence. He was already done for the season when the Giants won the Division.
    The only reason they missed the playoffs was because of the players strike in '87. That '87 team was better than 2011 team and the 2007 team. Best means most dominant that year. Next years results don't play into how dominant they were that year because next year represents a different team. I'll repeat 1986 was the most dominant year the Giants ever had. This isn't even a good argument for anybody who actually watched our 1986 team. In fact I'd take the '85-'87 Giants over any Giants team EVER!!!

    FYI our offense went into the dumps when Plax got shot in 2008. If you're saying losing Plax didn't change anything then your rewriting history. Check the stats, check the game tape, check everything, it all shows a drop off without Plax.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    The 2011 team by a country mile!
    As great as the '86 and 90 teams were, they weren't the best team in the NFL the next year like the 2011 team was!
    The 2011 team came the closest to repeating
    The 2011 team was the only team in the modern Giants era to win the division and even make the playoffs the season after a SB championship.

    I don't count the Sam Huff era because as great as those guys were in their time, the game was so different then, and those players don't compare to the athletes of today.
    What in the world are you talking about?? Do you mean the 2008 team? And if so, I don't care how many regular season games they won. They went one and done in the post season. Can't be the best team. Who cares about winning a division after SB win. It has nothing to do with what year was the greatest team.

    1987 players strike, 1991 Ray Handley. Can punish the 86 & 90 teams for what happened the year after.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    The 86 team was great, but how can you say that they were better than the 2011 team when the 86 team didn't make the playoffs the next year?.
    Because each year is different due to injuries, and 1987 they had many injuries, the players strike, and three games with replacement players!

    17-2 in 1986, and look at the dominating scores in the playoffs and Super Bowl. 2011 was a miracle run with small margin victories. It's not even close.
    Last edited by moosedrool; 01-12-2013 at 01:57 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts