+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Do We Always Play Soft Zone Coverages?

Why Do We Always Play Soft Zone Coverages?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-g...ants-secondary

Every time our defense plays well in the playoffs it's because we play aggressively. We play more two man press which gives our line more time to get in. There was so much complaining this year about chipping and three step drops. If we played man press we would have extra people in coverage due to the chip blockers (LB would be able to cut off short routes) and the short routes timing would be disrupted. I understand we cannot solely play man but during the regular season but it seems like we are always in cover 3 with our corners 8 yards off the wrs or playing cover 2 and getting burned with miscommunications. Our D was also playing a lot of soft zones during the regular season in 2011 until we made the playoffs and switched our style. The joke is that we actually have players who excel in man press. Prince, rolle, williams, webster (at least he used to or maybe still can if he learns how to pick the ball up in flight or swat better..he also needs to stop peaking and trying to intercept the ball all of the time i.e. against oggletree or jordy nelson). This is just some food for thought, but I really believe that with the way the league is now with passing dominance, we need to start playing defenses that allow us to play as tightly as possible (Except against Aaron Rodgers cuz our cover two seems to shut him down). I hope I didn't put you guys to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Mlerman17 View Post

Every time our defense plays well in the playoffs it's because we play aggressively. We play more two man press which gives our line more time to get in. There was so much complaining this year about chipping and three step drops. If we played man press we would have extra people in coverage due to the chip blockers (LB would be able to cut off short routes) and the short routes timing would be disrupted. I understand we cannot solely play man but during the regular season but it seems like we are always in cover 3 with our corners 8 yards off the wrs or playing cover 2 and getting burned with miscommunications. Our D was also playing a lot of soft zones during the regular season in 2011 until we made the playoffs and switched our style. The joke is that we actually have players who excel in man press. Prince, rolle, williams, webster (at least he used to or maybe still can if he learns how to pick the ball up in flight or swat better..he also needs to stop peaking and trying to intercept the ball all of the time i.e. against oggletree or jordy nelson). This is just some food for thought, but I really believe that with the way the league is now with passing dominance, we need to start playing defenses that allow us to play as tightly as possible (Except against Aaron Rodgers cuz our cover two seems to shut him down). I hope I didn't put you guys to sleep
    didnt we try to play man to man vs the ravens? I dont think its that simple.
    Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelousmik View Post
    didnt we try to play man to man vs the ravens? I dont think its that simple.
    The problem (and the reason why we stuck with a lot of soft zone) is that Webster either regressed or was injured (not quite sure which since those details were never really made public), and sucked in man coverage. Hosley was better than him by that point in the season. If we had Prince and Hosley (at his end of season form) together we could have run that 2 man press coverage more often...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

If the Giants want to play more Press man they better draft another CB high. The only 1 really suited for it anymore is Amukumara . Should of kept Coe around if they wanted to play more press

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    The problem (and the reason why we stuck with a lot of soft zone) is that Webster either regressed or was injured (not quite sure which since those details were never really made public), and sucked in man coverage. Hosley was better than him by that point in the season. If we had Prince and Hosley (at his end of season form) together we could have run that 2 man press coverage more often...
    I disagree with Hosley. Hosley is at his best in off or zone where he can keep the player in front of him and make plays on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mlerman17 View Post

If our Defensive scheme is successful against the top QB in the NFL, then what is your point exactly?
    Fewell had by far his best game against the Saints. He disguised coverages and had Brees completely flummoxed...so he definitely has the knowledge to game plan effectively. The bigger mystery is why he had his best games against the best teams on the schedule and his worst game plans and calling against the worst teams on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    If our Defensive scheme is successful against the top QB in the NFL, then what is your point exactly?Fewell had by far his best game against the Saints. He disguised coverages and had Brees completely flummoxed...so he definitely has the knowledge to game plan effectively. The bigger mystery is why he had his best games against the best teams on the schedule and his worst game plans and calling against the worst teams on the schedule.
    No he did not have his best game against the saints. We benefited from two random fumbles a tipped int and a nice pick by brown. The saints moved the ball at will against us but shot themselves in the foot over and over again. Against the packers was his best game IMO. There we ran a lot of press cover 2 and refused to play with a cushion. U cannot play man against the packers because of all of their back shoulder throws. Remember what the pack did to the texans press man this year.

+ Reply to Thread