+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Okafor?

Question Alex Okafor?

While I've been hearing a lot about Ezekial Ansah (mostly due to the JPP similarities I think), wouldn't Alex Okafor make more sense?

Assumedly he'd be used mostly in Tuck's spot ... he's stronger at the point of attack and against the run. And tons more polished.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty high on him myself. He has a quicker first step off the snap, but I think Ansah is stronger at the point of attack and against the run...Also I think it was difficult to gauge Ansash's true potential as a pass rusher this season b/c of how much time he saw at Nose tackle and 5 tech defensive end

Quote Originally Posted by juice33s View Post
    I'm pretty high on him myself. He has a quicker first step off the snap, but I think Ansah is stronger at the point of attack and against the run...Also I think it was difficult to gauge Ansash's true potential as a pass rusher this season b/c of how much time he saw at Nose tackle and 5 tech defensive end

Well that's kind of my point ... Ansah's really raw and he doesn't have near the measurables of JPP (sort of a JPP-lite).

Ansah doesnt have near the measurables of JPP? How are we figuring that?

I expect Ansah to put up a much better combine performance than JPP did

if Reese trades back I could see Okafor as a target.. just not at #19

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Ansah doesnt have near the measurables of JPP? How are we figuring that?

I expect Ansah to put up a much better combine performance than JPP did
    Ansah will definitely have a better 40 time (remember my 40 rant from the last two years?) but he's not nearly as fluid as JPP (flexibility). He doesn't have that quick first step the way JPP does, and doesn't have his wingspan (and that obviously won't change). He's a high motor guy that dogs plays and is fairly decent at shedding the block (make no mistake ... I'd be thrilled with either prospect in the draft).

Okafor has a better pass rush, plays the strong side like a beast (assumedly where we'd want him) is a high motor guy and much more polished (bigger school, plays with more football awareness (as you'd expect from a Texas guy), more forced fumbles, etc ...).

So while either would be awesome additions to the Giants lineup (imo), if both are available, doesn't Okafor make more sense as a potential starter (or back up that sees a ton of snaps) in 2013?

P.S. - And yes, Ansah is the *exact* type of athelete the Giants draft.

Quote Originally Posted by carter.525 View Post
    if Reese trades back I could see Okafor as a target.. just not at #19
    I think Okafor (and Ansah) will be gone by the mid 1st round (10-20 pick somewhere).

What he did to Oregon combined with a solid Combine will be what scouts will remember most.

I think Ansah may very well have a similar (within an inch or two) of JPP. And I think his first step may be better.

But I also dont think the argument of polished vs. raw means anything. Id take the raw guy with more upside any time.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I think Ansah may very well have a similar (within an inch or two) of JPP. And I think his first step may be better.

But I also dont think the argument of polished vs. raw means anything. Id take the raw guy with more upside any time.
    Yeah I saw someone posted he had a 91" wingspan (which can't CAN'T be accurate).

Polished vs. raw means a lot to me ... at least in so far as one is realized and one is only potential to be realized (sort of the difference between Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt).

Both are high motor guys for sure (good thing). Both have outstanding rush abilities (although I don't see how you can say Ansah has a better first step) and both play the run well (although I'd still argue Okafor edges Ansah here as well). Okafor played against better competition and produced on the biggest stage.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGo3BVi_7Do

(Again let me repeat ... I'd be thrilled with either ... just wanted opinions of one vs. the other)

I was comparing Ansah vs JPP. Okafor is the quickest out the gates of the three. Though he is by far the smallest. 3" and maybe 10-20 pounds smaller. (30 pounds smaller than JPP)