+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's missing from our offense that you see in the consistent offenses?

What's missing from our offense that you see in the consistent offenses?

One thing you see offenses like New England, Denver, Green Bay, pretty much the better offenses through the air, all have well designed 4-5 yard short pass plays. The are high %, and can be based on a number of ways to exploit the D, such as body positioning or quick double moves, having crossing routes set picks in the zone the ball will go to...basically watch Denver, NE, GB, and notice how they can be just as effective with the short stuff as the long stuff.

And it confuses me bc in SB 46, we often moved the ball downfield with those shorter routes to the flats, and TE's...so I know KG is at least cognizant of it. The games our offense was shut down, it felt like we were relying on the same patterns that were putting us in the hole we were in, we never seemed to mix things up. and that baffles me bc eli can break down defenses. he doesnt get that chance when 3 of 4 routes are all downfield with their back to Eli, and he holds on and either takes a sack or forces it for bad news...didnt seem like we used bennett enough imo, thats 1 way i thought we could have taken advantage of those quicker passing plays, but we used bennett downfield as much as underneath when he wasnt blocking. oh well, hope they implement more of those kind of passing plays this offseason.

Veteran
    Screen, dumps to the RB, TE.. basically any play that doesn't rely on going 10+ yards out

Consistency.

QB play. Eli has always been streaky. He could use a real RT... that wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Consistency.
    That pretty much sums it up.

One game they can run, the next they can't. One game Eli throws into small windows, the other he couldn't hit the ground if he aimed. One game David Wilson kills the opposing team and the next Bradshaw gets most of the carries. They are the Keystone Cops of the NFL.

I agree the short and intermediate passing game is extremely erratic. If Hakeem doesn't play it is very anemic. We need more use from the Tight end. I don't know why but despite Bennett looking good he still never made a big play when it counted and didn't overpower people. We rely too much on the long ball and big play. That's the main thing. We do not throw any screens whatsoever. Not since Tiki's hayday. And our offensive line, while good pass protecting and not allowing sacks does seem to get overpowered when trying to run block. Despite that we score a lot of points. So imagine if we cleaned things up. Also, the offense is too complicated. Water it down and concentrate on executing. The offense always does well when they dumb it down. I'm not a fan of too many option routes. Specially when your quarterback outsmarts himself and is one step ahead of the receivers.
    Last edited by BROADWAYSTORM; 01-13-2013 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Consistency.
    +1

I do see the Giants missing the consistency a solid O-line can give. I miss the strong, hard nose, hard will O-line we had some 5 years ago and as we all know you build a championship franchise from the inside out or in other words you start to build the trenches, the foundation. That been said I'm very concern seeing our actual situation having an aging O-line and some unsigned important FA like Beatty and Boothe staring down the path of probably walking away for " greener pastures " . Again I have a real and plausible concern about our O-line.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    I do see the Giants missing the consistency a solid O-line can give. I miss the strong, hard nose, hard will O-line we had some 5 years ago and as we all know you build a championship franchise from the inside out or in other words you start to build the trenches, the foundation. That been said I'm very concern seeing our actual situation having an aging O-line and some unsigned important FA like Beatty and Boothe staring down the path of probably walking away for " greener pastures " . Again I have a real and plausible concern about our O-line.
    I agree with the O-line play being inconsistent. Even the guys playing the positions were changing from week to week due to injury...but that is life in the NFL...injuries, that is.

If I were given free reign to select people to make the Giants better, you would see a lot more big boys roaming the streets of NYC. They would play on both sides of the ball and would allow us to avg. 4 ypc and not allow the other team to avg. over 3 ypc....and lead the league in sacks.

That's the ticket.

The play of the O-line, they couldn't move any D off the line when they really needed to. Everything starts there and works its way out, limited time in the pocket for Eli etc. Fix that and you fix a ton of things. Scheme wise, they need to change things up a little, just as all the players know what we are doing all of the other teams do as well.

+ Reply to Thread