+ Reply to Thread

before anybody asks , we need a win or a tie.

i'm not in any way suggesting that either one of these two lousy defenses could keep someone from scoring for an entire quarter......

but in the event that the game does wind up in a tie .....we still win the division.

head to head....1-1-0 vs 0-1-1
    the pen is said to be mightier than the sword.....
    but when is the last time your sword ran out of ink ?

Re: before anybody asks , we need a win or a tie.

Yes, but a tie is very unlikely. Giants should just win the game plain and simple. It's all or nothing for either team. Last wildcard spot is between Falcons and Bears, most likely Falcons after all is said and done.

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]Yes, but a tie is very unlikely. Giants should just win the game plain and simple. It's all or nothing for either team. Last wildcard spot is between Falcons and Bears, most likely Falcons after all is said and done.[/quote]

Improbable as it is, should the get game get (deep) into overtime, our coaches still need to know that a tie is an acceptable outcome.

I remember a game a few years ago where the Eagles played unnecessarily conservative in overtime and tied a game they basically needed to win. This was the game where Donovan McNabb admitted in the postgame presser that he didn't know ties were possible.

Every once in a while, it matters...

[quote user="Tenspro2002"][quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]Yes, but a tie is very unlikely. Giants should just win the game plain and simple. It's all or nothing for either team. Last wildcard spot is between Falcons and Bears, most likely Falcons after all is said and done.[/quote]

Improbable as it is, should the get game get (deep) into overtime, our coaches still need to know that a tie is an acceptable outcome.

I remember a game a few years ago where the Eagles played unnecessarily conservative in overtime and tied a game they basically needed to win. This was the game where Donovan McNabb admitted in the postgame presser that he didn't know ties were possible.

Every once in a while, it matters...[/quote]

I think that would be the Eagles tying with the lowly Bengals at that time 13-13 because McNabb forgot that ties can happen. "McNabb later stated that he was not aware that a game could end in a tie. " -wiki. But that helped them get a 6th seed playoff spot over all the 9-7 teams and !@#$@!#% led them to an eventual upset over the Burress-less Giants in the playoffs. That's the most recented tied regular season game to date. The last Giants tied game was 7-7 vs. Redskins where they contemplated about Brad Daluiso kicking a 72? yd game winning FG before just punting it and letting the defense solidify the tie. Giants won the division that season 10-5-1 with Danny Kanell.

Ah, thanks for the correction. So the tie helped the Eagles, in spite of McNabb's total ignorance on the subject.

[quote user="Tenspro2002"]Ah, thanks for the correction. So the tie helped the Eagles, in spite of McNabb's total ignorance on the subject.[/quote]

and would help us if it comes to that......
    just hope TC realizes it and keeps it in mind
    just in case.

[quote user="stormblue"][quote user="Tenspro2002"]Ah, thanks for the correction. So the tie helped the Eagles, in spite of McNabb's total ignorance on the subject.[/quote]

just in case.[/quote]

Yes, if it came down to the last minute/seconds of overtime and the Giants have the ball. Coughlin should be considerate enough to just clock the ball instead of trying any FG that could be block-returned for a TD. However, i cannot put it past Gilbride to run a lateral pass screen-play turned into a turnover TD in that situation....

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="stormblue"][quote user="Tenspro2002"]Ah, thanks for the correction. So the tie helped the Eagles, in spite of McNabb's total ignorance on the subject.[/quote]

just in case.[/quote]

Yes, if it came down to the last minute/seconds of overtime and the Giants have the ball. Coughlin should be considerate enough to just clock the ball instead of trying any FG that could be block-returned for a TD. However, i cannot put it past Gilbride to run a lateral pass screen-play turned into a turnover TD in that situation....[/quote]

That's a great point. If we get down to the 2-minute warning in overtime, we need to play it as if we have a 1-point lead and try to run out the clock (and end up in "victory" formation). If I see a 3rd-and-1 long passing play in that situation, I want Gilbride fired on the spot.

agreed