+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: ESPN is actually comparig Tom Brady to Joe Montana....

  1. #1
    All-Pro Eliscruzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warwick NY
    Posts
    6,510

    ESPN is actually comparig Tom Brady to Joe Montana....

    I find this debate laughable the fact that Brady hasn't beaten us twice and for the fact they haven't won since spygate.Don't get me wrong he is great but Joe Montana stands alone in the post season.

  2. #2
    All-Pro Eliscruzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warwick NY
    Posts
    6,510
    Plus Joe's competition in the 80's was brutal. Who did Brady have to beat?? Are they even still in the league besides Peyton??

  3. #3
    ESPN is all about making comparisons, it’s what they do and what gets attention from fans. But saying that I think it’s not that farfetched. The NFL was a different game when Joe played, rule changes have done that. But it’s still the NFL and the best players play in this league. In my opinion Joe Montana was the best qb ever; they didn't call him Joe cool for nothing. Watching him play in the super bowls was like watching someone play catch in the back yard, nothing fazed him. Joe Montana is the only player to be named Super Bowl MVP 3 times, so when it comes to winning the bar is set at Joe Montana.

    Now to Tom Brady, he plays very similar to Montana, has great accuracy, pocket presence, and he wins.. Except against us (Giants) Tom Brady could retire today and would easily be in the conversation as a top 5 qb all time. It seems every year the Patriots are in the hunt in the playoffs, and a big part of that is because of Tom Brady. Everyone is so amazed by how good that offense is, no matter who they plug in at skilled positions. But it all starts and ends with Tom Brady. So in conclusion I think it’s a fair comparison...

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,130
    I think it is a very fair comparision.

    I grew up watching Joe Montana play and I watch Tom Brady play. I think Tom Brady is better. Tom Brady is the best QB I have ever seen.

  5. #5
    You can see why they do it. Only Montana and Bradshaw have won 4 SBs and Bradshaw was not a QB god. There are very few people you can compare Brady to.

    They're also among the only 5 QBs to win multiple SB MVP awards. A list that also includes Eli.

  6. #6
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,489
    Seems fair to me.

    In fact, I think if Brady wins it this year then it may be hard to make a case for Joe other than he never lost a superbowl.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    It seems every year the Patriots are in the hunt in the playoffs, and a big part of that is because of Tom Brady. Everyone is so amazed by how good that offense is, no matter who they plug in at skilled positions. But it all starts and ends with Tom Brady. So in conclusion I think itís a fair comparison...
    I agree that it is a fair comparison, but I also think the division and the system are a big part of it.

    In 2008, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at the helm. How many times has Eli Manning won 11 games or more? Only twice by my recollection. This isn't to compare Eli to Brady, but Matt fricken Cassel managed 11 wins in that division and offensive scheme.

    And every single year the Patriots are better than the Dolphins, Bills, and Jets. What does that say really?

  8. #8
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,232
    It's a fair comparison.

    If you remember, Montana was on the receiving end of a few bad playoff losses to the Giants too.

  9. #9
    Veteran TroyArcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    I find this debate laughable the fact that Brady hasn't beaten us twice and for the fact they haven't won since spygate.Don't get me wrong he is great but Joe Montana stands alone in the post season.
    Brady is better

  10. #10
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by GMEN86900711 View Post
    I agree that it is a fair comparison, but I also think the division and the system are a big part of it.

    In 2008, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at the helm. How many times has Eli Manning won 11 games or more? Only twice by my recollection. This isn't to compare Eli to Brady, but Matt fricken Cassel managed 11 wins in that division and offensive scheme.

    And every single year the Patriots are better than the Dolphins, Bills, and Jets. What does that say really?

    NE has a great system going but divisional rivals are still divisional rivals-- they're still pros and you have to play them twice a year. Throw divisional games out the window... Carolina beat Atlanta this year. The Eagles beat the Giants and so on and so forth.

    I see your point because I've been on that side of things... I was very jealous of the Pats schedule. But an average team like Dallas went 2-2 in the AFCE last year, and beat Miami on a last second FG.

    You still have to be good to win in the AFCE and you also have to take care of business, which is difficult to do with all the parity in the league.

    When I really thought about it, I realized I was holding the Pats accountable for being better than everyone in their division-- needless to say that's pretty silly.

    Besides, it's not like they fold in the playoffs when the competition increases.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts