+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN is actually comparig Tom Brady to Joe Montana....

Quote Originally Posted by GMEN86900711 View Post
    I agree that it is a fair comparison, but I also think the division and the system are a big part of it.

In 2008, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at the helm. How many times has Eli Manning won 11 games or more? Only twice by my recollection. This isn't to compare Eli to Brady, but Matt fricken Cassel managed 11 wins in that division and offensive scheme.
    This is my argument. I think by giving Brady so much credit you're taking away from what Belicheck does. Tom Brady is still a great player worthy of top 5 all time consideration, but having Belicheck to back him up helps tremendously. Just like Eli is boosted by having TC to back him up. Every coach brought up in the Parcells regime knows how to make do with what he has. Missing the playoffs at 11-5 is just a fluke, plain and simple. If the Dolphins weren't so good in 2008 and the Patriots had gone to the playoffs that year, Cassel could have led that team to a Super Bowl victory, just like Hostetler did for us when Simms got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    Plus Joe's competition in the 80's was brutal. Who did Brady have to beat?? Are they even still in the league besides Peyton??
    Good point but I would argue the 49ers teams of Joe Montana were much better all around teams that Brady has had. I bet they have way more HOFers.

It's not an outragious comparison. I think Montana is better though.

Besides toughness, being clutch and some important stats, at the end of the day I ask if I had to win a game- a game where my life depends on it- who would you have as your QB For me it's:

1)Unitas
    2)Montana
    3)Elway

In that order.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    NE has a great system going but divisional rivals are still divisional rivals-- they're still pros and you have to play them twice a year. Throw divisional games out the window... Carolina beat Atlanta this year. The Eagles beat the Giants and so on and so forth.

I see your point because I've been on that side of things... I was very jealous of the Pats schedule. But an average team like Dallas went 2-2 in the AFCE last year, and beat Miami on a last second FG.

You still have to be good to win in the AFCE and you also have to take care of business, which is difficult to do with all the parity in the league.

When I really thought about it, I realized I was holding the Pats accountable for being better than everyone in their division-- needless to say that's pretty silly.

Besides, it's not like they fold in the playoffs when the competition increases.
    really... they folded what the last 4 years when the competition heats up.

Seems pretty fair to me. I think some Giants fans are blinded by the fact that we beat Brady's patriots in the SB twice. He still won 3 of them and has made it to 5. He's easily one of the best QB's to ever play.
    Close or you hit the bricks

Quote Originally Posted by sharick88 View Post
    Seems pretty fair to me. I think some Giants fans are blinded by the fact that we beat Brady's patriots in the SB twice. He still won 3 of them and has made it to 5. He's easily one of the best QB's to ever play.
    Yeah your right I was just getting sick of the Brady praise lol. He is definitely top 5 all time, I still have Joe ahead though, losing sb doesn't count. Jim kelly never got credit for making it to the sb 4 years in a row.

If Brady wins the Superbowl this year, he is the consensus G.O.A.T

Sure Montana had tougher competition but look the guy had the best football player of all time to throw too and he also had amazing defenses. He also had a great running game.

Brady is the best QB in the league and there is no denying it and will go down IMO the best of all time.

a San Francisco Newspaper actually started that debate (saw it on NFLN Around the League)

both went to Michigan also.

what I hate is that the AFCE is weak as brittle glass. the Patriots are 20 times the best team than any other in that Div.

never the less Tom is a good QB, if the Ravens get after him and put him on his back a few times, he has a tendency to get pedestrian...some of us Giants fans know that well.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Quote Originally Posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
    a San Francisco Newspaper actually started that debate (saw it on NFLN Around the League)

both went to Michigan also.

what I hate is that the AFCE is weak as brittle glass. the Patriots are 20 times the best team than any other in that Div.

never the less Tom is a good QB, if the Ravens get after him and put him on his back a few times, he has a tendency to get pedestrian...some of us Giants fans know that well.
    Montana went to ND

Montana and Brady have one thing in common. They both played in excellent systems and great players. Montana's teams were LOADED. He is blessed to have played on that team, put Marino on it and he becomes the undisputed GOAT and Montana would've been an afterthought.

+ Reply to Thread