+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    All-Pro Eliscruzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warwick NY
    Posts
    6,503

    ESPN is actually comparig Tom Brady to Joe Montana....

    I find this debate laughable the fact that Brady hasn't beaten us twice and for the fact they haven't won since spygate.Don't get me wrong he is great but Joe Montana stands alone in the post season.

  2. #2
    All-Pro Eliscruzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warwick NY
    Posts
    6,503
    Plus Joe's competition in the 80's was brutal. Who did Brady have to beat?? Are they even still in the league besides Peyton??

  3. #3
    Veteran TroyArcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    Plus Joe's competition in the 80's was brutal. Who did Brady have to beat?? Are they even still in the league besides Peyton??
    Good point but I would argue the 49ers teams of Joe Montana were much better all around teams that Brady has had. I bet they have way more HOFers.

  4. #4
    ESPN is all about making comparisons, it’s what they do and what gets attention from fans. But saying that I think it’s not that farfetched. The NFL was a different game when Joe played, rule changes have done that. But it’s still the NFL and the best players play in this league. In my opinion Joe Montana was the best qb ever; they didn't call him Joe cool for nothing. Watching him play in the super bowls was like watching someone play catch in the back yard, nothing fazed him. Joe Montana is the only player to be named Super Bowl MVP 3 times, so when it comes to winning the bar is set at Joe Montana.

    Now to Tom Brady, he plays very similar to Montana, has great accuracy, pocket presence, and he wins.. Except against us (Giants) Tom Brady could retire today and would easily be in the conversation as a top 5 qb all time. It seems every year the Patriots are in the hunt in the playoffs, and a big part of that is because of Tom Brady. Everyone is so amazed by how good that offense is, no matter who they plug in at skilled positions. But it all starts and ends with Tom Brady. So in conclusion I think it’s a fair comparison...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    It seems every year the Patriots are in the hunt in the playoffs, and a big part of that is because of Tom Brady. Everyone is so amazed by how good that offense is, no matter who they plug in at skilled positions. But it all starts and ends with Tom Brady. So in conclusion I think itís a fair comparison...
    I agree that it is a fair comparison, but I also think the division and the system are a big part of it.

    In 2008, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at the helm. How many times has Eli Manning won 11 games or more? Only twice by my recollection. This isn't to compare Eli to Brady, but Matt fricken Cassel managed 11 wins in that division and offensive scheme.

    And every single year the Patriots are better than the Dolphins, Bills, and Jets. What does that say really?

  6. #6
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by GMEN86900711 View Post
    I agree that it is a fair comparison, but I also think the division and the system are a big part of it.

    In 2008, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at the helm. How many times has Eli Manning won 11 games or more? Only twice by my recollection. This isn't to compare Eli to Brady, but Matt fricken Cassel managed 11 wins in that division and offensive scheme.

    And every single year the Patriots are better than the Dolphins, Bills, and Jets. What does that say really?

    NE has a great system going but divisional rivals are still divisional rivals-- they're still pros and you have to play them twice a year. Throw divisional games out the window... Carolina beat Atlanta this year. The Eagles beat the Giants and so on and so forth.

    I see your point because I've been on that side of things... I was very jealous of the Pats schedule. But an average team like Dallas went 2-2 in the AFCE last year, and beat Miami on a last second FG.

    You still have to be good to win in the AFCE and you also have to take care of business, which is difficult to do with all the parity in the league.

    When I really thought about it, I realized I was holding the Pats accountable for being better than everyone in their division-- needless to say that's pretty silly.

    Besides, it's not like they fold in the playoffs when the competition increases.

  7. #7
    All-Pro Eliscruzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warwick NY
    Posts
    6,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    NE has a great system going but divisional rivals are still divisional rivals-- they're still pros and you have to play them twice a year. Throw divisional games out the window... Carolina beat Atlanta this year. The Eagles beat the Giants and so on and so forth.

    I see your point because I've been on that side of things... I was very jealous of the Pats schedule. But an average team like Dallas went 2-2 in the AFCE last year, and beat Miami on a last second FG.

    You still have to be good to win in the AFCE and you also have to take care of business, which is difficult to do with all the parity in the league.

    When I really thought about it, I realized I was holding the Pats accountable for being better than everyone in their division-- needless to say that's pretty silly.

    Besides, it's not like they fold in the playoffs when the competition increases.
    really... they folded what the last 4 years when the competition heats up.

  8. #8
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    really... they folded what the last 4 years when the competition heats up.
    Sometimes I think you like to argue for the sake of arguing

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    really... they folded what the last 4 years when the competition heats up.
    They lost 2 very close SuperBowls over the last 5 years, hardly folding. They got blown out by Baltimore Ravens in playoffs a few years ago and beside that, there is not much anyone can really say about Tom Brady. The guy has had maybe 5 bad games in the last 5 years. Heck, Eli had more than 5 bad games this past season alone.

    Tom Brady in my opinion, is The Greatest QB of all time. Joe Montana and Bart Starr are the only other 2 that I think should even be in the conversation. Granted, Terry Bradshaw was 4-0 in SuperBowls but he wasn't the QB that Tom Brady is. Peyton Manning is awesome in the regular season but the postseason is what separates he and Tom.

    I think the entire SpyGate hoopla is way overblown. The very fact that NE Patriots went 16-0 during 2007 regular season and have been back to SuperBowl 2 times since SpyGate, proves it didn't really help them that much.

    I think Tom Brady will play for 4-5 more years and probably win another SuperBowl or 2.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by GMEN86900711 View Post
    I agree that it is a fair comparison, but I also think the division and the system are a big part of it.

    In 2008, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at the helm. How many times has Eli Manning won 11 games or more? Only twice by my recollection. This isn't to compare Eli to Brady, but Matt fricken Cassel managed 11 wins in that division and offensive scheme.
    This is my argument. I think by giving Brady so much credit you're taking away from what Belicheck does. Tom Brady is still a great player worthy of top 5 all time consideration, but having Belicheck to back him up helps tremendously. Just like Eli is boosted by having TC to back him up. Every coach brought up in the Parcells regime knows how to make do with what he has. Missing the playoffs at 11-5 is just a fluke, plain and simple. If the Dolphins weren't so good in 2008 and the Patriots had gone to the playoffs that year, Cassel could have led that team to a Super Bowl victory, just like Hostetler did for us when Simms got hurt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts