+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Giants Must Find Solution At MLB This Offseason

http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/16/...his-offseason/

Excerpt: "The New York Giants defense faces a major question mark at the middle linebacker position that must be addressed before the start of next season. Starter Chase Blackburn is an unrestricted free agent this offseason, and General Manager Jerry Reese must decide whether to resign him or look at other options for a middle linebacker whether it comes from a player already on their roster, free agency or the draft.

Despite being touted as on of the teams' deepest units, last season's linebacker squad anchored a Giants defense that ranked 31st allowing 6,134 yards. The defense also ranked 28th in the passing game (254.3 yards per game), and 25th against the run (129.1 yards per game). The team may suffer the same results again unless some type of upgrade is made.

Blackburn, who will be 30-years-old before the start of next season, was the starter in 23 of the last 25 games. Though Blackburn gave the Giants some consistency at the position with 98 tackles, it didn't seem he was able to make the key play when the team needed it like he was able to the season before. The player with most experience after him on the Giants roster is undrafted free agent Mark Herzlich. The Giants made it clear he was being groomed to be their future at linebacker, but in his limited opportunities, Herzlich's performance left something to be desired.

The Giants have several other youngsters who they could fill in at middle linebacker in Jacquian Williams and Spencer Paysinger. Williams, a second-year player drafted out of South Florida by the Giants, showed promise at times but battled injuries all season. The Giants also sent a fifth-round pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for Keith Rivers who also has issues staying healthy. The other option currently on the roster is Michael Boley, who saw his playing time inexplicably diminish." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    we've had crap linebackers for the last 10 years. I'll be fine with that again, as long as we fix our dline.
    Not me. I like Giants Football....that means good defense, and especially, good linebackers.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Not me. I like Giants Football....that means good defense, and especially, good linebackers.
    In the 80's it was... the 2000's success was all about the DE's. But I would love just one LB who can rack us up 100 tackles. It would make alll the difference in the world in the run game.
    If you dig up the dirt in Oakland, you will find Giant bones

3/18/14 Draft:
    1-Aaron Donald DT Pitt
    2-Kareem Martin DE UNC
    3-Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Neb
    4-C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
    5-Bryan Stork C FSU
    5-Chris Watt G ND
    6-Jeff Janis WR SV

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    In the 80's it was... the 2000's success was all about the DE's. But I would love just one LB who can rack us up 100 tackles. It would make alll the difference in the world in the run game.
    Maybe a season healthy Williams
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Im sick of seeing young LB's every year stepping up while we have the same B.S....& every draft theres some draft genius that claims theres not LBs that were worth taking & defends these bums that we have.....Remember that P.O.S Goff had a fanbase somehow????? People were waiting on dillard, Somehow Danny Clark got a pass, Wilkison got a pass, Greg Jones was crowned all pro before he ever took a snap......Were VERY lucky that Williams actually seems to be a half way decent LB.....
    Rivers is another teams throwaway.....Blackburn could be a OK backup

we've had crap linebackers for the last 10 years. I'll be fine with that again, as long as we fix our dline.
    How about fix the Dline & upgrade our LBs for once....People act like they could care less, yes we all know CB's & passrushers are more valuable....But untill we play 8 men on D & take LBs out of our scheme, then how about we upgrade whats clearly the weakest part of our D...Im pretty sure real LBs wouldnt make our D any worse...

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    How about fix the Dline & upgrade our LBs for once....People act like they could care less, yes we all know CB's & passrushers are more valuable....But untill we play 8 men on D & take LBs out of our scheme, then how about we upgrade whats clearly the weakest part of our D...Im pretty sure real LBs wouldnt make our D any worse...
    i don't think we'll have the $$$.

i don't think we'll have the $$$.
    $$ for what?

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    $$ for what?
    Resign JPP. The list of Free agents this year and next is ridiculous. On top of that, we'll probably need to draft dline and oline this year. No time/money for LBer.