+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Giants Must Find Solution At MLB This Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    i don't think we'll have the $$$.
    $$ for what?

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    disagree completely, it works for many teams,,,,what facts do you have to back what you are saying because I would love to see them. this team has major holes that BPA might not fix. BPA is the reason for many of the holes. normally I have no problem with BPA, we just have too many holes this year.
    I'm talking specifically about the 1st round because that's normally where you'll find the best player who can also make an immediate impact. The Giants FO has done a very good job, going back to '04, of drafting in the 1st round -- Wilson (jury's out but he showed stuff), Prince (nice 2nd year), JPP, Nicks, Phillips, Ross, Kiwi, Eli. Some of these guys were both need AND BPA, and some were just BPA (JPP and Prince). Each of these guys contributed nicely, and some better than others, to 1 or 2 SB's. And I 100% completely agree with BPA in the 1st round because you never know when your supposed depth is going to be depleted by injuries (i.e. our secondary year in and year out even though we use high picks every year on that unit). Get the value/talent out of that round, as well as the 2nd.

Before '04, our 1st round picks (for a long time) were busts or just not worthy of 1st round material -- William Joseph, Cedric Jones, Thomas Lewis, Petitgout, Wheatley, Allen, Dayne, Bunch, Derek Brown. There is no way that I'm going to complain about the players that we've been picking in the 1st RD over the past 8 or 9 years.

We get a really good LB that falls to us in the 1st round and is BPA, then great. But our FO has put a premium on D-line and secondary because their D philosophy is getting to the QB to sack/or at least make him hurry and make mistakes.

JR and the FO SAY, I believe, that they take BPA in the later rounds as well, but I don't believe that. I believe that's when they start reaching and filling "need" holes and that's when they start making bad picks.

Yes, get a MLB (draft or FA), but our LB starters may not be that bad next year. Kiwi needs to be a DE again -- he's not a LB. Williams should be a good LB for us, and Boley may have a better year next year. Get a new MLB, but I wouldn't go crazy on the LB corp. Hopefully we'll find a steal in the middle rounds of this year's draft.
    Last edited by JJC7301; 01-18-2013 at 06:13 PM.

All I can say is that solution at MLB isn't in the actual roster. Is Reese going after a FA MLB impact player ? I don't think so. Then it has to come via draft. Work your magic Mr. Reese but please don't bring any future MLB project like the ones we all have witness the last years.

Quote Originally Posted by JJC7301 View Post
    I'm talking specifically about the 1st round because that's normally where you'll find the best player who can also make an immediate impact. The Giants FO has done a very good job, going back to '04, of drafting in the 1st round -- Wilson (jury's out but he showed stuff), Prince (nice 2nd year), JPP, Nicks, Phillips, Ross, Kiwi, Eli. Some of these guys were both need AND BPA, and some were just BPA (JPP and Prince). Each of these guys contributed nicely, and some better than others, to 1 or 2 SB's. And I 100% completely agree with BPA in the 1st round because you never know when your supposed depth is going to be depleted by injuries (i.e. our secondary year in and year out even though we use high picks every year on that unit). Get the value/talent out of that round, as well as the 2nd.

Before '04, our 1st round picks (for a long time) were busts or just not worthy of 1st round material -- William Joseph, Cedric Jones, Thomas Lewis, Petitgout, Wheatley, Allen, Dayne, Bunch, Derek Brown. There is no way that I'm going to complain about the players that we've been picking in the 1st RD over the past 8 or 9 years.

We get a really good LB that falls to us in the 1st round and is BPA, then great. But our FO has put a premium on D-line and secondary because their D philosophy is getting to the QB to sack/or at least make him hurry and make mistakes.

JR and the FO SAY, I believe, that they take BPA in the later rounds as well, but I don't believe that. I believe that's when they start reaching and filling "need" holes and that's when they start making bad picks.

Yes, get a MLB (draft or FA), but our LB starters may not be that bad next year. Kiwi needs to be a DE again -- he's not a LB. Williams should be a good LB for us, and Boley may have a better year next year. Get a new MLB, but I wouldn't go crazy on the LB corp. Hopefully we'll find a steal in the middle rounds of this year's draft.

what have you seen to think our LB's wont be that bad next season? they are atrocious. we need to take a legit prospect in the 1st like alec ogeltree if he makes it to us. I would say LB is a very big need on this team and has been for some time.

what have you seen to think our LB's wont be that bad next season? they are atrocious. we need to take a legit prospect in the 1st like alec ogeltree if he makes it to us. I would say LB is a very big need on this team and has been for some time.
    I hope Reese feels the same way.. the LB spot needs to be addressed, 1st or 2nd rounder & a FA..

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    I hope Reese feels the same way.. the LB spot needs to be addressed, 1st or 2nd rounder & a FA..
    me too,,and I hope it's not with some late round scrub.

Blackburn has the heart, passion, and experience, but no longer has the speed to be a consistent reliable starter. He'd be a great in backup role coming in on certain plays here and there.

me too,,and I hope it's not with some late round scrub.
    like Greg Jones or Dillard..

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    like Greg Jones or Dillard..
    who was the kid from VA Tech,,,i have removed him from memory.

id be pissed if we took ogeltree. no way hes a mlb at the nfl level in that build. too skinny/lanky imo. hed be a good WS LB but we already have like 3 of them in williams, boley, and rivers...plus, from what ive seen of ogeltree, once an OL got his hands on him, Ogeltree was useless. Looks like he has issues getting off blocks. Theres just no way I could see Ogeltree starting for us at MLB day 1. thats just me and i admit im not great with college player analysis so if someone can prove me wrong Im not above admitting i was incorrect

+ Reply to Thread