+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can We Cure All Our Ills by September?

I'm of the opinion there are to many holes to plug. The O-line needs help, the D-line needs help badly, the LBs need help, and we need a 3rd quality CB. If Booth isn't resigned we'll need 2 players on the OL. IMO all 3 DL positions are up for grab besides JPP. At least one 3 down LB, preferably a MLB, and a CB is needed. I don't think we will do all of that this offseason. This is what I think the priority should be:

1) The DL needs to be our #1 priority. Stopping the run. I know you guys are in love with Joseph and Canty and we remember the greatness of old Tuck and the promise of a young Kiwi, but it's time to wake up. I say the most efficient way to improve our run defense and pass rush is find a stout run defending DT that can collapse the pocket to play besides JPP. Canty was decent, but he plays the run like lemon meringue pie. Something like the Kevin Williams & Jared Allen duo in Minnesota is what I have in mind.

2) Beatty must be resigned. I think this is an automatic, other wise it would have been the #1 concern on my list. Once again I'm calling for an upgrade in our run blocking to take some pressure of Eli. I want a mauler at RT. We don't need great pass blockers, just average. Eli is great at getting rid of the ball.

3) We need a 3rd quality CB. Frankly, I like Hosely, but I'm not sold on him and with the way Webster was looking this season Prince may be the only CB that I trust right now.

4) We simply have to have a 3 down MLB with better playmaking ability.

Veteran
    nope it may take more than one year of draft picks to fix these problems

While I believe in our FO, next year could be very bad. If we resign Beatty and Boothe (I believe he's a FA as well), I think that our o-line's not bad. Locklear was playing well, or maybe we can upgrade in the draft.

The D-line and secondary scares me. DT is very thin in talent and we're loosing at least Osi at DE.

no, they need to do a lot to get it right by 2014 . Schedule isnt to bad if Eli plays better they will hang around a playoff spot. I dont see any way the Defense wont be a complete train wreck

All-Pro
    There is hope. The defense was 12th in points allowed. How much better can they be if the offense picks it up next year? There is also the draft. Who's to say they don't get 4-5 guys that make huge contributions as rookies? Lots of rookies contribute. They need to hope Austin can finally make a contribution. That could solve the DT problem. Draft a pass rushing DE opposite JPP could solve another problem. If J Williams stays healthy they have their speedy LB everyone is asking for. The secondary could use another CB. On offense they need a RT, health, and the 2011 Eli.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    There is hope. The defense was 12th in points allowed. How much better can they be if the offense picks it up next year? There is also the draft. Who's to say they don't get 4-5 guys that make huge contributions as rookies? Lots of rookies contribute. They need to hope Austin can finally make a contribution. That could solve the DT problem. Draft a pass rushing DE opposite JPP could solve another problem. If J Williams stays healthy they have their speedy LB everyone is asking for. The secondary could use another CB. On offense they need a RT, health, and the 2011 Eli.
    We need to bring somebody in for DT via free agency or high in the draft, like round 1 or 2. Austin is not the answer.

We need an upgrades at DT,OL, LB, need another 1 or 2 CB's, And at least ne starter DE- Osi's gone and if they were smart about it JT wouldn't be here either, unfortunately. It's going to be interesting to see how JR and Co. get thru the off season. We have over 20 FA's ready to do battle and many of the High priced FA's we " SCORED" with and other non performing players must be reckoned with in order to solidify this team. I do not envy his position. Go JR!!!Go Giants!

i think moving kiwi to start where tuck was playing, and making tuck a situationa pass rusher with ojomo n tracy rotating to keep them all fresh, and our DL is back in business. I dunno how u feel L.Joseph needs to prove something, he's been a solid DT for us. Canty was injured, dont forget he missed ALL of preseason and 8 weeks iirc of the reg. season. he wasnt close to being himself and he was still making solid plays. a healthy line of jpp canty joseph kiwi with tuck, ojmo, and tracy all rotating in would compare to the dl in 2011 imho.

with OL, I agree, we need a kick *** RT but he can be a sleeper we get for cheap who ends up playing solid and thats fine too.

Agree we need a corner as well.

I think we fix everything up by the end of the draft. Brewer could be the RT next year and we could draft one of 'bamas OL. i actually believe this team will be a top contender...

Of course we can. Our first priority has to be the OLine. If we can keep Beatty and Boothe we just have to find a RT through FA or an NFL ready high draft pick.

We have players on the DLine and Secondary who can step up. Kiwi will replace Osi.

LB is next to add some more speed to deal with these mobile QBs. Williams is already there, Rivers is fast if healthy.

We're not that far away if we can stay healthy.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-16-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I don't see any reason why we can't.
    We have plugged more holes in the past as have many other teams.
    No one remembers who came in second.