+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why I think OL is the biggest area of need

I'm going to bring up positions on the roster that we're hurting at and explain why I think we have a plan in place to handle it.

DE: I think the staff has been secretly grooming Ojomo all this time. If they didn't have long-term plans for him they would have waived him at the start of the season (and someone would have picked him up off waivers). JPP, Kiwi, Ojomo, and perhaps Tuck (since they said he's not going anywhere this year) should make a decent enough combo without having to pick up any big FA or spend draft picks. I will say, however, that even if Tuck stays, he should relinquish his status as Captain to someone with a little more passion than him; it was obvious he was just going through the motions this year. I don't know if it was due to injury or just not being as hungry for a ring anymore, but we need a real leader to step up.

DT: From what I remember, we still have Canty and Joseph on the roster. Also, I don't think we're anywhere near to giving up on Markus Kuhn, who looked great in the rotational role prior to his ACL injury. Austin I don't like as much, but perhaps if he could stay healthy for long enough and produce some next year, he could still fill a role for us.

OLB: This year we got absolutely devastated by injuries. Yet we still have Boley, Rivers (if we re-sign him), and Williams. I think Williams has great potential to become a starting linebacker, IF he can stay healthy (which is his greatest problem). What we need in this position is some quality depth... Paysinger is decent, but better suited to special teams than actually playing linebacker. I wouldn't mind seeing Rivers on the strong side and Williams on the weak side.

MLB: This is probably the second biggest need after OL, and if Te'o or Ogletree fall to #19 I could see us spending our first round pick on one of them.

CB: The biggest concern is getting Hosley up to speed and finishing his pro transition (he looked pretty good in the Baltimore game) and keeping Prince healthy. Webster should be relegated to a more backup role as he is in hard decline now. Given our depth at safety, we should default to the 3 safety set whenever we need a nickel package. Rolle and Hill are both good at the slot corner position...

OL is by far our biggest need. Getting Beatty locked up for a long time should be our top priority this offseason (to the point that if we had to let either Beatty or Cruz walk, I'd keep Beatty). Boothe was okay, but not worth the money he'd be looking for. Baas, despite how terrible he is, we are stuck with him for another year, so a late pick on a C that we can groom to take over the starting role would be nice. Snee is due to go the way of Diehl any day now. And we don't have any answer on the roster for RT. Diehl has declined to the point where he shouldn't be in the NFL anymore, Brewer can't even beat out Diehl so he must be REALLY bad, and Locklear got all kinds of hurt and I don't think he'd be able to return to form.

If only we could get KC to bite on a first round tender on Cruz or Stevie. Then we could get Luke Joeckel and not have to worry about the tackle positions for a LOOOOONG time... At least I can dream.
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 01-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

You're willingness to get rid of Cruz is a little surprising. Between Nicks and Cruz, Cruz has been the more durable WR. You aren't going to put or get a 1st rounder for Stevie Brown Brown so Cruz would be your only hope there. You have to be asusming Nicks will get and remain healthy for the entire season.

I think we "need" to sign Bennett, Beatty and Cruz. After that, The OLine needs to be either a high draft pick for RT or a one year FA.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I'm not entirely willing to get rid of Cruz, and I still consider him a very important asset to secure for next season. But it's still a far cry from Beatty. I'm saying that if we could only keep ONE of either Beatty or Cruz, i'd keep Beatty. Still would love to keep both though. We have other receivers that can get the job done, even if they're not necessarily as good as Cruz. We do NOT have an O-line, especially if Beatty goes. Boothe is average and will ask for way more than he's worth. Baas is terrible. Snee is due to decline. Diehl is beyond done at this point. As for our depth at OL, Locklear may be too injured to continue, Brewer is so bad he can't even beat out Diehl, and Cordle is average (though I wouldn't mind him taking over at LG if Boothe goes) We might as well just field a backup QB and our camp fodder at OL and reload for 2014 at that point...

The current roster that I would like to resign the most, in order, are as follows:

1) Beatty
    2) Cruz
    3) Bennett
    4) Stevie
    5) KP
    6) Rivers
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 01-16-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

We'll disagrere about Cruz who's been the leading receiver for two years in a row with over 1,000 yards. If someone else was also doing that, you might have a point. But before we get into Nicks can do it, he hasn't because of injuries.

This isn't going to come down to Cruz OR Beatty. We are not going to be that CAP strapped.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    We'll disagrere about Cruz who's been the leading receiver for two years in a row with over 1,000 yards. If someone else was also doing that, you might have a point. But before we get into Nicks can do it, he hasn't because of injuries.

This isn't going to come down to Cruz OR Beatty. We are not going to be that CAP strapped.
    We're already millions over before even re-signing anyone, and have more free agent talent on the team to re-sign than anyone else. Cruz is going to want at the very least 6 million, Beatty about the same. We restructured a lot of contracts last season, and now we're paying for it.

Veteran
    Cruz has the largest fanbase than any player on this team, I think the Giants will want keep him (at the right cost) over some O lineman. Oline is replaceable through FA or from the Early round in the draft. Cruz, not so much.
    Last edited by Cloud57; 01-16-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    We're already millions over before even re-signing anyone. Cruz is going to want at the very least 6 million, Beatty about the same. We restructured a lot of contracts last season, and now we're paying for it.
    We've been here before. Reese finds a way to make it work. This may be the year we let some veterans go that we'll all hate to see leave. But if we "plan" on losing Cruz, as you've suggested, and we get a college player who is not NFL ready in palce of a proven play maker, John Mara will not be a happy camper.

If they can't afford Cruz, that's one thing. But to use him as draft bait seems, well I just don't agree.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-16-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    Cruz has the largest fanbase than any player on this team, I think the Giants will want keep him (at the right cost) over some O lineman.
    His fanbase won't enter into it. It's a business and, for me, we don't have a "reliable" alternative to Cruz at this moment. I am all in favor of Nicks coming back and staying healthy and shooting the lights out, but I don't think we can bank on that happening just yet

We are far better off with Nicks and Cruz consistently on the field at the same time.

My main problem with JR is that he's focused so much on skill positions that he's ignored the trenches for so long. Only first rounder that JR has drafted that was an OL, DL, or LB was JPP, and that was more because JPP was a workout warrior in the combine. Personally, I feel that Eli can make anyone a pro-bowl receiver, IF he has good enough protection. If Eli had the all-pro O-line, he could throw all day using Barden, Jernigan, and freaking Sinorice Moss...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    My main problem with JR is that he's focused so much on skill positions that he's ignored the trenches for so long. Only first rounder that JR has drafted that was an OL, DL, or LB was JPP, and that was more because JPP was a workout warrior in the combine. Personally, I feel that Eli can make anyone a pro-bowl receiver, IF he has good enough protection. If Eli had the all-pro O-line, he could throw all day using Barden, Jernigan, and freaking Sinorice Moss...
    OK