+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Chip Kelly Hired as Eagles Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    The same was said of Pete Carroll when he joined Seattle coming from USC who is perennially a top 3 recruiting program if not #1 in the country.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz4Life View Post
    The same was said of Pete Carroll when he joined Seattle coming from USC who is perennially a top 3 recruiting program if not #1 in the country.
    Chip ain't a defensive guy. Carroll also got lucky in getting Wilson. Guy looks like the real deal. Kelly will have Foles....

Quote Originally Posted by hadenough View Post
    The whole basis of Oregon was speed. DeAnthony Thomas might be the fastest guy in college. He never had a top QB...cause he needed an option guy. Never had a top HB?? LaMichael James was considered a heisman finalist snub.
    You're mistaking guys who became productive with guys who were top talents coming in.

James was the 12th ranked HB coming into college ball. And running a 4.4 isnt anything special either.

DeAnthony Thomas was one of like 4 5 star recruits that Chip had while at Oregon.

And option QBs can and often are very high recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    Chip ain't a defensive guy. Carroll also got lucky in getting Wilson. Guy looks like the real deal. Kelly will have Foles....
    Carroll is a very unorthodox coach and I wouldn't say he was lucky to land Wilson. More like other NFL teams were foolish to let him slip so far. He looked past the one negative physical trait that scouts had dogged Wilson for and that is his height. Everything else was there in plain view from his playing at Wisconsin.

You're right that Chip is not a defensive guy, but that just means he will need the right defensive coordinator to be successful. Look at how much Gus Bradley has done for Pete Carroll.
    Last edited by Giantz4Life; 01-16-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

If people think that all the eagles are going to do is run option reads, they are kidding themselves. Chip Kelly is a good coach because, like any good coach, he puts his players in the best possible scenario to succeed. While at New Hampshire, he chucked the ball fifty times a game. At Oregon, he ran it fifty times a game.

I'm more interested in seeing his defenses. I wonder what coordinators he will bring with him. It's not like we ever heard of Oregon coordinators even interviewing for other NCAA jobs. His defenses in Oregon never really played base 4-3 or 3-4, and he would usually have five - six defensive backs on the field at a time.

I think this is one of the worst possible situations for a new coach to walk into, especially when they have absolutely NO NFL experience. Although the Eagles were 4-12 last year, they still have the pieces to win the NFC East. Just because Kelly is a first year guy does not mean he wont be expected to win starting next year. If he struggles for two years, he will lose his job.

It's funny because everyone used to talk about how Reid always managed to out-coach Coughlin time and time again....now they have a new HC straight out of college with zero NFL experience and the consensus is that we're about to get owned by Philly even more so.

So what does it boil down to, is our coaching staff that awful in your eyes that we don't have any confidence facing anyone, or are you guys just saying Philly is a better team overall?

Personally I think this mass hysteria is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz4Life View Post
    Carroll is a very unorthodox coach and I wouldn't say he was lucky to land Wilson. More like other NFL teams were foolish to let him slip so far. He looked past the one negative physical trait that scouts had dogged Wilson for and that is his height. Everything else was there in plain view from his playing at Wisconsin.

You're right that Chip is not a defensive guy, but that just means he will need the right defensive coordinator to be successful. Look at how much Gus Bradley has done for Pete Carroll.
    I'd say he lucked out with a QB as good as Wilson for sure. They would have 100% gone with Flynn but Wilson turned out to be so good that they benched their expensive veteran FA future QB investment for him.

New Eagles coach

Eagles got their man, Oregonian "Chip."

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Easy: hit the QB hard no matter whether he has the ball or not... too bad PF is too pansy to do that.
    i think thats the best way myself take away the options and smash the QB over and over until he cant walk

Eagles have some good pieces to work with its not like he is walking into a complete train wreck. They have to get a QB though and thats a huge deal. Thank god they didnt end up with Russel Wilson thats who they wanted but the hawks took him before they picked in the 3rd round

+ Reply to Thread