+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 113

Thread: Manti Te'o Story is a Hoax?.....

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    Agree. But, the more I read about it and the more I see the numbers of people duped by this stuff the more I believe him. I guess me being raised in a time where you actually met someone and went out with them a few times before you called them a girlfriend or whatever confused me.

    The hard thing for me was to believe that someone would be so naive, but apparently it is a common thing.
    I see both sides personally. From what I've heard and researched, Mormons aren't exactly the most computer tech savvy people in the world. It's very possible that the idea of a group of people "trolling" Te'o as a fake model girlfriend never crossed his head and it probably doesn't help that he is a young handsome man that has a bright future. In that situation, you might not even fathom someone pranking you because you could get almost any woman to want to be with you. He was also worried about the shame he would bring to his family by making such a "unique" relationship public and Samoans are big on the public perception view.

    On the other side, we are talking about a top 50 college player that has a lot to gain or lose depending on his draft status. Gaining a media following is not only huge in the case of the Heisman race but to also stay fresh in the heads of NFL scouts and GMs. Could it be possible that this Roniah fellow is just being set up to take the fall for Te'os future? Not sure.

    I'm just not willing to commit to either side of the black and white spectrum until hard evidence is presented and honestly, we may never see it too.

  2. #102
    Veteran Rat_bastich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    I see both sides personally. From what I've heard and researched, Mormons aren't exactly the most computer tech savvy people in the world. It's very possible that the idea of a group of people "trolling" Te'o as a fake model girlfriend never crossed his head and it probably doesn't help that he is a young handsome man that has a bright future. In that situation, you might not even fathom someone pranking you because you could get almost any woman to want to be with you. He was also worried about the shame he would bring to his family by making such a "unique" relationship public and Samoans are big on the public perception view.

    On the other side, we are talking about a top 50 college player that has a lot to gain or lose depending on his draft status. Gaining a media following is not only huge in the case of the Heisman race but to also stay fresh in the heads of NFL scouts and GMs. Could it be possible that this Roniah fellow is just being set up to take the fall for Te'os future? Not sure.

    I'm just not willing to commit to either side of the black and white spectrum until hard evidence is presented and honestly, we may never see it too.
    Yep, wouldn't commit to either side because the story, even though becoming more believable because of the numbers that fall for the same scam, it still stinks. But, that being said, I wouldn't let this story deter me from picking the kid in the draft if he was my guy.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    HUH?????.....WHAT????? Are you comparing CArroll calling a TO just before a kicker kicks a FG and then supposedly says he didn't call TO to Te'o who made up SEVERAL stories about actually a girlfriend that wasn't really. I don't know either Te'o or Carroll personally, but using that example you gave what Te'o did was worse than what Carroll did. And BTW I can't stand Carroll.And why the heck would I take you, a strangers, word for Eli having cancer. At the very least I would check online, the news, etc. to confirm it. I can't tell if your post is serious or not, but I read the Schapp interview with Te'o and I believe him even less. Skim through it yourself.http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-jeremy-schaap
    No, Im saying Carroll is equally a liar and you can't dismiss it as gamesmanship because its still a lie. As for you taking my word as a stranger, Teo was told by multiple people that they knew this girl aka...she existed. He also talked to a female on the phone. To say his story doesn't jive is ridiculous. Did he lie? Yes. He said he met her and he clearly didn't. Does that mean you don't trust anything he says ever again bc "well he's a liar....can't trust him now!"? If that's your argument Id be surprised if you talked to your parents for lying about Santa Claus or the tooth fairy. Kid lied because he was embarrassed he had strong feelings for a girl he only talked to on the phone. If that's not plausible to you I don't know what to say. Is it weird? Yes. Crazy? To a point. But those are the reasons he lied about meeting her. How do you explain that? Playcate me for a moment and trust that he loved her without meeting her. Just online and phone calls. Pretend that's true. How do you expect him to explain that? A 22 year old kid. While his friends and teammates are out getting laid he's discussing scripture between this girl and his parents (texts he showed to ESPN, but those must have been made up and of course he should have questioned if she existed even though he was having these deep, mulitperson discussions). You can't relate. We get that. But if you try to put yourself in those shoes, pretend its your life and not some guy on a screen that misses tackles in the title game then his story may become a bit more believable to you.

  4. #104
    Veteran Cool Papa B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by ImElectric2 View Post
    No, Im saying Carroll is equally a liar and you can't dismiss it as gamesmanship because its still a lie. As for you taking my word as a stranger, Teo was told by multiple people that they knew this girl aka...she existed. He also talked to a female on the phone. To say his story doesn't jive is ridiculous. Did he lie? Yes. He said he met her and he clearly didn't. Does that mean you don't trust anything he says ever again bc "well he's a liar....can't trust him now!"? If that's your argument Id be surprised if you talked to your parents for lying about Santa Claus or the tooth fairy. Kid lied because he was embarrassed he had strong feelings for a girl he only talked to on the phone. If that's not plausible to you I don't know what to say. Is it weird? Yes. Crazy? To a point. But those are the reasons he lied about meeting her. How do you explain that? Playcate me for a moment and trust that he loved her without meeting her. Just online and phone calls. Pretend that's true. How do you expect him to explain that? A 22 year old kid. While his friends and teammates are out getting laid he's discussing scripture between this girl and his parents (texts he showed to ESPN, but those must have been made up and of course he should have questioned if she existed even though he was having these deep, mulitperson discussions). You can't relate. We get that. But if you try to put yourself in those shoes, pretend its your life and not some guy on a screen that misses tackles in the title game then his story may become a bit more believable to you.
    Okay.....

    Since this story came out I have tried to put my self in Te'o's shoes- the life of a 21-22 year old student athelete in a D1 program. I can relate/understand the internet relationship. Getting to know someone on social media sites. I can see why he would make up lies about meeting each other at the Stanford game and other situations. I can see how someone wouldn't want to feel embarassed that he meet someone online. I can even understand him lieing to his family about her.

    The thing that I can't understand is him not seeing her face to face. In schapp,s interview he spoke about them making plans to see each other on about 3 or 4 different occasions. But something always seemed to come up. The life of a student athelete is very busy. I went through that myself. The little time you do have between practice, classes and studying I had usually went to resting, lounging, watching TV etc. But if this is a girl that I have deep feelings for, even if it's for 1 day; heck even a half day; I am going to find a way to meet her. I just have to. Even if I had to bring my book with me and study on the plane ride going to see her I'll do it. I had a girlfriend in college and after we graduated she got a job offer in Atlanta. It broke my heart. for about 8 months I would fly out there and sometimes she would come here to NY to see me. We broke up mainly because of the long distance, but I made an effort to go and see her. It was costly but i wanted to do it.

    i just can't believe that if you talk to a person you really like you wouldn't push beyond the obstacles you have to go and see her. Love and attraction is still love and attraction whether it's now or 20, 30, 50 years ago.

  5. #105
    And that's the part where I do understand the skepticism. Because I think the crux of this story is "his heart helped make him a fool". And the fact that he was content in NOT meeting her, not going above and beyond for someone he feels so strongly about is what gives someone pause. That said, I think it speaks to who Teo is as a person. I think he's trusting to a fault and that it stems from faith. I think that's why the Director of Athletics from N.D. cried for him. The kid is honest and mistakenly puts his values on others. I mean, obviously time will tell, but I'm on his side. I don't want to draft him, didn't even before the national championship game tbh, I just hate to see someone's life ruined because of media sensationalism and the lies of others. Perhaps Im a little sensitive because I was close to 2 people who, despite most of us warning against it because how fishy it seemed, fell for similar online scams.

  6. #106
    Veteran Cool Papa B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by ImElectric2 View Post
    And that's the part where I do understand the skepticism. Because I think the crux of this story is "his heart helped make him a fool". And the fact that he was content in NOT meeting her, not going above and beyond for someone he feels so strongly about is what gives someone pause. That said, I think it speaks to who Teo is as a person. I think he's trusting to a fault and that it stems from faith. I think that's why the Director of Athletics from N.D. cried for him. The kid is honest and mistakenly puts his values on others. I mean, obviously time will tell, but I'm on his side. I don't want to draft him, didn't even before the national championship game tbh, I just hate to see someone's life ruined because of media sensationalism and the lies of others. Perhaps Im a little sensitive because I was close to 2 people who, despite most of us warning against it because how fishy it seemed, fell for similar online scams.
    I Understand what you are say, and if somemore information comes out that shows Te'o was duped I will be the first to say on this forum that I was wrong and a lot of people owe himan apology. But after looking at everything I still doubt that Te'o wasn't in on this.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I Understand what you are say, and if somemore information comes out that shows Te'o was duped I will be the first to say on this forum that I was wrong and a lot of people owe himan apology. But after looking at everything I still doubt that Te'o wasn't in on this.
    Much respect. If we still had the beer glass emotions I'd raise one to you.

  8. #108
    im fully convinced manti teo lied to cover up that he's gay. the guy's a D1 college football player at notre dame, hot girls flocking towards him everywhere he goes, yet he chooses an online relationship for a year? not buying it. then he tells us she died right after his grandma's death? I think he knew the media and others were going to pressure him about this gf of his and why she's not around him for his loss. think about it, the guy is mormom and playing in a sport where there's never been an openly gay player and at notre dame of all places...he has to hide it. he never went to the girl's funeral? come on now.

    just using my gut here.

  9. #109

  10. #110
    Anyone hear the voicemail messages Teo played on Good Morning America? I know this story is somewhat passing by, but to me there's no zero doubt that he was taken for a ride with no part in it.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts