+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NY Giants Keep Or Dump: Michael Boley

http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/16/...michael-boley/

Excerpt: "Before the 2012 season, New York Giants' Michael Boley was being heralded as the most complete linebacker on the roster, His ability to cover tight ends down the field, as well as provide run support made him an invaluable resource to Big Blue's 2011 Super Bowl victory. However, just like the Giants 2012 campaign, Boley's season did not go as planned. After battling nagging injuries for much of the year, the eighth year veteran saw significantly reduced playing time in the final three games of the season.

Boley will enter the final year of his contract in 2013 at 31 years old. He's owed $4.25 million, which quite frankly, is not a bad price for a versatile weak-side linebacker. If the team believes Boley's shortcomings were due to something other than a declining skill-set, then this is less of a debate than many are making it out to be. However, with the Giants tight salary cap situation, the team may very well look to younger options to fill Boley's role on defense next season.

Spencer Paysinger
    has been a player that the Giants have liked ever since they signed him as an undrafted free agent out of Oregon two years ago. When Boley was on the sidelines during the stretch run of the 2012 season, Paysinger benefited most in terms of increased playing time. He has good size, above average athleticism and the ability to make tackles in the open field. It's unclear whether Paysinger's ready to take on full-time linebacker duties, but his emergence could allow the Giants to cut Boley loose and wipe out nearly their entire salary cap deficit in one shot.

Jacquian Williams
    is another second year player who many thought would come out and have a strong 2012 campaign. However, he was plagued by a multitude of injuries that never allowed him to become a productive player on the defense. That said, Williams has experience starting on defense and has shown the athleticism to accomplish anything the coaching staff could ask of him. He has excellent size and his elite speed give him incredible range. He needs to bulk up a little bit over the offseason, but Williams is an athletic specimen that has the ability to develop into a mainstay on the Giants defense." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

boley started out with an int the first 3 games iirc. it looked like he was gonna have an awesome season, and then it was like he just vanished. wasnt making any plays on the field.

i really have to question the hunger of some of these guys; boley, tuck, osi, webster...i mean those guys in particular were grossly underperforming, many instances, they were in somewhat good position but did nto have that hunger to make the play imo. dunno if im ready to quit on boley, but id keep an extra close eye on him and the depth players behind him. would paysinger be a downgrade from boley of the 2nd half of the season? he was hurt granted, but it seems hes always got some nagging injury.

I think the fact that he had almost no snaps in the last 2 games is telling... either he got hurt somewhere along the line or he's declining.

might be time for the Jacquian Williams era to begin at weak side LB.. hopefully he can stay healthy

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I think the fact that he had almost no snaps in the last 2 games is telling... either he got hurt somewhere along the line or he's declining.
    He was dealing with hip and hamstring injuries
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    He was dealing with hip and hamstring injuries
    Do you think this is something that will be healed by camp or will he have nagging issues in 2013?

Veteran
    Dump him

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Do you think this is something that will be healed by camp or will he have nagging issues in 2013?
    The offseason can be enough time to heal those types of issues assuming surgery isn't required on his hip which has not been indicated that I know of.

I still think J Will had all those injuries because he gained weight in the offseason. Hopefully he is better this year now that his body has had more time to adjust.

I think Boley is a goner, just because of how little they played him towards the end of the year.