+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I think outside linebacker may be a bigger need.

In the Tampa 2 the most important linebacker is the weak side backer. The giants have boley who just isn't physical and is declining, rivers who spent all season hurt and is a FA, and J Will who was hurt all season and had some struggles against the run as well. A dominant weak side backer would change this defense a ton. And J will could move to the other lb spot and be a sub package guy.

Favorite Lb for me in this draft is Arthur brown. Who I do think could eventually become a middle backer, but he has a very nice skill set for weak side too
    Most important position in a Tampa 2 is the MLB not the WILL. MLB is the joker (from the typical MLB role). The WILL performs the same function in the Tampa 2. The MLB has to cover more ground (and gets dropped into coverage more) in a Tampa 2.

Ogletree could play either though imo. JWill could *not* play MIKE or SAM with any consistency. How do you put a guy who you say is weak against the run (and I agree ... JWill is not strong against the run) at the SAM or MIKE spots?!

Not sure Arthur Brown has the size for either the WILL (kind of short compared to Ogletree) or the MLB (light). At 6'1, I'm not sure how much more weight his frame could take and still sustain his speed which is one of his strong points.

Ogletree and Brown are currently ranked really close to each other but I have a feeling Ogletree will rise while Brown will stay around a mid to late 2nd rounder (meaning Brown might be available to us where Ogletree might not).

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    Ansah has the Giants written all over him.
    I think so too and I have a hard time seeing Reese picking an MLB in the first three rounds (although I think we need one).

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    Add gerald hodges...
    Gerald Hodges is a sensational OLB prospect.. I am huge Ogletree, Greene, and Minter fans first and foremost, but have no problem with Brown, Hodges , and Red**** either.. Red**** had a monster season and really turned it on toward the end, had like 15.5 TFL or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Most important position in a Tampa 2 is the MLB not the WILL. MLB is the joker (from the typical MLB role). The WILL performs the same function in the Tampa 2. The MLB has to cover more ground (and gets dropped into coverage more) in a Tampa 2.

Ogletree could play either though imo. JWill could *not* play MIKE or SAM with any consistency. How do you put a guy who you say is weak against the run (and I agree ... JWill is not strong against the run) at the SAM or MIKE spots?!

Not sure Arthur Brown has the size for either the WILL (kind of short compared to Ogletree) or the MLB (light). At 6'1, I'm not sure how much more weight his frame could take and still sustain his speed which is one of his strong points.

Ogletree and Brown are currently ranked really close to each other but I have a feeling Ogletree will rise while Brown will stay around a mid to late 2nd rounder (meaning Brown might be available to us where Ogletree might not).
    I think Brown is a WLB all day.. Hes not even listed at 230 for petes sake.. Hes also on the short side.. I'd rather have Brown at WLB, and maybe draft Kevin Red**** to play the middle in the 4th, if hes on the board still...

Both the Will and Mike get dropped the same. The mike just has a deeper drop, while the will has more responsibilities against the run.

The will absolutely is more critical to have a great player.

The bucs, bears, vikings, colts, etc. When they were running the Tampa 2 all had tremendous Will backers.

Lance Briggs, Derrick brooks, chad Greenway, Cato June, etc. all are better than the middle backers on their teams apart from Briggs, though you could argue he is as good as Urlacher.

As for being too short, Lets see

Briggs - 6'1
    Greenway - 6'2
    Brooks - 6'0
    June - 6'0

Arthur Brown is 6'1. So his size is not an issue in the least

As for J Will. He is a weak side backer as well. But now that he is up to 230+ he could play some Sam. He already spends a lot of his time on the field matched up against TEs
    Last edited by slipknottin; 01-17-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    I think Brown is a WLB all day.. Hes not even listed at 230 for petes sake.. Hes also on the short side.. I'd rather have Brown at WLB, and maybe draft Kevin Red**** to play the middle in the 4th, if hes on the board still...
    He's listed at 231 on his college page.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Both the Will and Mike get dropped the same. The mike just has a deeper drop, while the will has more responsibilities against the run.

The will absolutely is more critical to have a great player.

The bucs, bears, vikings, colts, etc. When they were running the Tampa 2 all had tremendous Will backers.

Lance Briggs, Derrick brooks, chad Greenway, Cato June, etc. all are better than the middle backers on their teams apart from Briggs, though you could argue he is as good as Urlacher.

As for being too short, Lets see

Briggs - 6'1
    Greenway - 6'2
    Brooks - 6'0
    June - 6'0

Arthur Brown is 6'1. So his size is not an issue in the least

As for J Will. He is a weak side backer as well. But now that he is up to 230+ he could play some Sam. He already spends a lot of his time on the field matched up against TEs
    The thing that scares me about Brown, is he reminds me alot of Jordan Dizon when he came out.. Almost identical prospects, but Dizon coulden't hold up in the pros, with that small body, and when all u do is make tackles, and ur body is that small, its kinda hard to make a living in the pros, and Brown is similar, as he dosen't make many plays, but makes a ton of tackles with his smallish bodytype.. 6ft 229lbs, is what i think he is..

How u can say Ogletree and Minter are small, and then act as if Browns WT is no issue at all, is a mystery to me?

Ogletree is really growing on me.. I like the fact that he can cover and is a 3 down LB..

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    The thing that scares me about Brown, is he reminds me alot of Jordan Dizon when he came out.. Almost identical prospects, but Dizon coulden't hold up in the pros, with that small body, and when all u do is make tackles, and ur body is that small, its kinda hard to make a living in the pros, and Brown is similar, as he dosen't make many plays, but makes a ton of tackles with his smallish bodytype.. 6ft 229lbs, is what i think he is..

How u can say Ogletree and Minter are small, and then act as if Browns WT is no issue at all, is a mystery to me?
    He's listed at 6'1 231.
    Same size as Lavonte David

And ogletree is small for his frame. He's 6'3 so he should be 245+
    Minter is short. Probably under 6'.

And t he bigger issue with size is the position. Minter would be ok probably as a weakside backer with his size. But not as a mike. And I don't think minter has the skill set to play outside.

Ogletree could eventually fit as a mike. But he needs to gain 15+ pounds
    Last edited by slipknottin; 01-17-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Alec Ogletree has a frame to add weight, and has extreme athletic ability(gurantee he destorys the combine for LB prospects), and makes more plays, lead his team in tackles despite missing 4games, has played Saftey before, which to me is a added plus, if for no other reason but to have more perspective on other positons on the field..etc This guy could easily be a 6ft 3in 240lb athletic playmaking machine in a yr or 2...

If i'm picking a LB , its gotta go lke this

Ogletree
    Greene
    Minter
    Brown
    Red****/Hodges

Thats the way i personally value the LB's...