+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NY Giants' Positional Reviews: Defensive Tackle

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/18...-marvin-austin

Excerpt: "We continue our series of positional reviews for the New York Giants today by turning to the defense for the first time. We will begin our look back at the 2012 defense and a look ahead to how the 2013 Giants' defense might be different by starting at the defensive tackle position.

We have already discussed the Giants' defense quite a bit since the 2012 season ended, and one of the themes has been that the run defense just has not been good enough. In 2012 the Giants surrendered 4.6 yards per rushing attempt, 26th in the league and not nearly good enough. In 2011 the average per rushing attempt against the Giants' defense was similarly awful -- 4.5 yards per attempt.

How much of the blame for that inadequate run defense falls on the defensive tackles? My belief is there are bigger issues at linebacker and sometimes with the run support from the defensive end position, but the tackles can't be blameless. Let's look at the players who comprised the Giants' defensive tackle rotation in 2012 -- and, yes, we need to go into this understanding that the Giants at times use defensive ends Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul and Mathias Kiwanuka inside in place of their tackles.

Linval Joseph
    -- The three-year veteran out of East Carolina has emerged as an excellent defensive tackle. He had 59 tackles, five for loss, and four quarterback sacks in 2012. He had a Pro Football Focus score of +6.3. PFF credited Joseph with 28 stops -- plays resulting in an offensive failure -- in 2012, and only seven defensive tackles made more. Joseph is a good player, but at this point not a dominant, Pro Bowl-caliber player. Maybe in 2013 he takes that step.

Chris Canty
    -- Still a very good player, but after eight years in the league one with questionable knees. He played well for the Giants 2012 with three sacks and five tackles for loss, but played in only nine games. He compiled a +6.6 PFF grade in his limited playing time.

Rocky Bernard
    -- Started off well in 2012, missed a few games with an injury, and was never really the same. The 33-year-old Bernard has been in the league for 10 years and is little more at this point than rotational depth." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

they need a bigger psh from their interior DL....
    Joseph may take another step forward. They need a healthy Canty or a better solution....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Joseph may take another step forward. They need a healthy Canty or a better solution....
    I think Canty, if he can get healthy, is still effective. What about Austin and Kuhn?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I think Canty, if he can get healthy, is still effective. What about Austin and Kuhn?
    I have hopes for Kuhn. I liked what I saw last year. He is one of those player who knows he needs work to improve and I think he will.
    Austin....ur guess is as good as mine.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

I have hopes for Kuhn. I liked what I saw last year. He is one of those player who knows he needs work to improve and I think he will.
    Austin....ur guess is as good as mine.
    Austin just has to step it up this season. The "two years out of football" thing has worn out its welcome

I never liked Canty. I'm hoping that they can bring in better talent at both DT and DE.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Austin just has to step it up this season. The "two years out of football" thing has worn out its welcome
    Austin is done, IMO, but I give him every opportunity in training camp to prove himself. Kuhn? He'll never be anything more than back-up, at best. I saw nothing promising from the decent amount of play time that he had.

Joseph-Good. Canty- too little for too much. Bernard- good depth. Austin- Wake up Kid, your window is closing fast. Kuhn- shows promise but needs weight and strength. We need a good DT!

Quote Originally Posted by bearbryant View Post
    Joseph-Good. Canty- too little for too much. Bernard- good depth. Austin- Wake up Kid, your window is closing fast. Kuhn- shows promise but needs weight and strength. We need a good DT!
    Do we move Tuck to DT and use Tracy and Ojomo in DE rotation?

No way Tuck cant handle it