+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Nico Johnson LB, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    He wasnt just pulled for Mosley. He was also behind Depriest . What he did in HS means nothing. Almost every good college player played both Offense and defense really well in HS. Nico was the back up strongside inside LB and the Run Package Weakside inside LB
    Your correct, essentially what he did in High School has no bearing on what he can do at the Pro level. I guess my point was he was an every snap player in high school and was dominant running the ball and working sideline to sideline on defense as well as pass coverage. He played HS ball an hour from where I live so I saw him several times when our local school played them. IMHO from what I have seen in person both at Andulusia High School and the University of Alabama be a run only LB is not an accurate assessment. Alabama is loaded with interchangeable talent. Concerns about his coverage ability exist only because he was not asked to do it. He has good speed, agility, smarts and toughness. To say he is going to be a 2 down LB is just tunnel vision. He was quoted this week at the Senior Bowl " I want to showcase everything I know I'm good at and showcase the things people have said I am not good at. People don't think I'm good at pass coverage. I have never really had a true chance to showcase that I can play on passing downs." I guess we will have a better gauge to decide what he can bring to the table after the Senior Bowl but right now it's a bit premature to label him a run only 2 down backer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
    Your correct, essentially what he did in High School has no bearing on what he can do at the Pro level. I guess my point was he was an every snap player in high school and was dominant running the ball and working sideline to sideline on defense as well as pass coverage. He played HS ball an hour from where I live so I saw him several times when our local school played them. IMHO from what I have seen in person both at Andulusia High School and the University of Alabama be a run only LB is not an accurate assessment. Alabama is loaded with interchangeable talent. Concerns about his coverage ability exist only because he was not asked to do it. He has good speed, agility, smarts and toughness. To say he is going to be a 2 down LB is just tunnel vision. He was quoted this week at the Senior Bowl " I want to showcase everything I know I'm good at and showcase the things people have said I am not good at. People don't think I'm good at pass coverage. I have never really had a true chance to showcase that I can play on passing downs." I guess we will have a better gauge to decide what he can bring to the table after the Senior Bowl but right now it's a bit premature to label him a run only 2 down backer.

I obviously agree with this and that's sort of my point. Just because Nico hasn't been used much in pass coverage, doesn't mean he can't do it. Maybe it does though, I see potential. Saying that Saban didn't trust him on passing situations is fair criticism but he also had the luxury to change out with incredible talent. Arthur Brown couldn't make it on the field at Miami, so he transferred. If Nico had transferred my guess is that he would have been a full time starter and we'd see more of what I think he can do. Not to mention, just because Nico played mostly on running situations, doesn't mean he never dropped into coverage. He did. I've gone back and watched a couple games and he does disappear in games when Alabama takes the lead or as mentioned, on obvious passing situations. But what I see when I watch him is a guy that moves really well, plays gaps really well and knows how to tackle. Long story short I totally understand some people being skeptical, but I see a lot of things that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I wouldnt pigeon hole him that much he could play on early downs possibly I just dont think he would be a Nickel player. I
    Nico Johnson is Erik Walden.. Another words, he can be decent, but nothing 2 special probably and most likely a 3/4 backer... I can understand why some might be intrigued, but i don't think he'd be that much a help to us, as he dosen't get to the QB to often, and litteraly only is a 2down run stuffer.. I'd rather draft Kevin Red**** and put em at SLB, then have Nico, to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Nico Johnson is Erik Walden.. Another words, he can be decent, but nothing 2 special probably and most likely a 3/4 backer... I can understand why some might be intrigued, but i don't think he'd be that much a help to us, as he dosen't get to the QB to often, and litteraly only is a 2down run stuffer.. I'd rather draft Kevin Red**** and put em at SLB, then have Nico, to be honest...
    I'd have no problem with Red****.

Yes a better fit

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    I'd have no problem with Red****.
    Hey Bluesabbath, who did u used to be on here? I thought i read u had trouble getting ur account switched over and had 2 start new one.. U seem like one of the old regs?

Hey Bluesabbath, who did u used to be on here? I thought i read u had trouble getting ur account switched over and had 2 start new one.. U seem like one of the old regs?
    I've had a couple.. I can't even remember my original. I remember trying a ton of different names that were already taken, can't remember what I ended up with. Didn't post on the boards for a really long time (had websense at work and I don't do internet at home)... so I lost that one... then I was using (pretty sure it was) CRITTERS last year and maybe the year before. I believe the boards went down for some time and when I came back I couldn't get that username to work anymore. So I just started this one. I've actually been meaning to ask if the boards were down for everyone for a long while. I still recognize most of the posters on here though even though the site is different.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    You mean like an early 2nd rounder? Oh wait...

What position on this team have they drafted early that they haven't needed?
    I think hes reffering to a LB that actually fits our system

Wow, I was able to find one of my mocks from last year.

1. Kevin Zeitler (OG)-Wisconsin
    2. Lamar Miller (RB)-Miami or Doug Martin (RB)-Boise St
    3. Brandon Boykin (CB/KR)-UGA
    4. Michael Egnew (TE)-Missouri
    5. Joe Adams (WR) Arkansas
    6. Demario Davis (LB) Arkansas State (my sleeper. I think his draft is going to jump up though when he hits the combine)

I know I did others cause oddly enough I was pushing for Dont'a Hightower in the first. Also remember I was high on Vick Ballard as midround guy and Bryce Brown with our last pick, Dequan Menzie, Senio Kelemete, Bernard Pierce, Olivier Vernon. Probably some others that haven't panned out.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    Wow, I was able to find one of my mocks from last year.

1. Kevin Zeitler (OG)-Wisconsin
    2. Lamar Miller (RB)-Miami or Doug Martin (RB)-Boise St
    3. Brandon Boykin (CB/KR)-UGA
    4. Michael Egnew (TE)-Missouri
    5. Joe Adams (WR) Arkansas
    6. Demario Davis (LB) Arkansas State (my sleeper. I think his draft is going to jump up though when he hits the combine)

I know I did others cause oddly enough I was pushing for Dont'a Hightower in the first. Also remember I was high on Vick Ballard as midround guy and Bryce Brown with our last pick, Dequan Menzie, Senio Kelemete, Bernard Pierce, Olivier Vernon. Probably some others that haven't panned out.
    I was definetly with Miller/martin & egnew/Adams....I was huge on Lavonte David, when he came close to our 2nd rounder i thought forsure we'd get agressive & move up, but oh well...

+ Reply to Thread