+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nico Johnson LB, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    Because there's somebody that is better in passing situations than him.. CJ Mosley, who is one of the best linebackers in college football. Like I said before, his biggest problem has been the talent surrounding him. CJ Mosley (easily a 1st round draft pick) and Dont'a Hightower ( a first round draft pick). Doesn't mean he couldn't also be effective.
    Being benched because there are better players on your team in college does not bode that well for him in a league with even better players...

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Being benched because there are better players on your team in college does not bode that well for him in a league with even better players...
    Looked like he played less snaps this season compared to 2011. Last year it seemed like Nico was playing the bulk of the snaps and being subbed situationall,y this season its Mosley playing the bulk. Also Im not sure if its because they needed better blitzers or pass rushers on the field because they lost Upshaw but the SOLB Hubbard was cutting into his snaps 2. Along with the other Mike LB Depriest.
    I dont think he is a bad player or anything just limited in the Giants 4-3 defense. Better fit in a 3-4 has experience at both inside spots
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 01-23-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Because there's somebody that is better in passing situations than him.. CJ Mosley, who is one of the best linebackers in college football. Like I said before, his biggest problem has been the talent surrounding him. CJ Mosley (easily a 1st round draft pick) and Dont'a Hightower ( a first round draft pick). Doesn't mean he couldn't also be effective.
    Exactly. Nico was a RB In high school, he is agile,has good speed and smarts. He also played LB in High School didn't come out of the game. Saben had the luxury of Mosley in passing situations. To say Nico would be a run LB only is off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
    Exactly. Nico was a RB In high school, he is agile,has good speed and smarts. He also played LB in High School didn't come out of the game. Saben had the luxury of Mosley in passing situations. To say Nico would be a run LB only is off the mark.
    He wasnt just pulled for Mosley. He was also behind Depriest . What he did in HS means nothing. Almost every good college player played both Offense and defense really well in HS. Nico was the back up strongside inside LB and the Run Package Weakside inside LB
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 01-23-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    You'd have a point if it wasn't Alabama.

You'd have a point if he was going to have worse competition in the nfl.

I would agree with this in certain situations like Brockers last year for LSU as a RS Soph. However Nico is a Senior and has consistently been pulled every year he has played and this season it want just for 1 player. Last year he was pulled just for Mosley and with Hightower there as the MIKE I wouldnt hold it against him. This season however he was passed over as the Starting Mike for the Soph Depriest and lost even more snaps to Mosley. He also lost snaps to Hubbard although it may have been to generate more of a pass rush since Alabama lacked a player as good as Upshaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    i didnt say he was a bad player or anything just not very good moving backwards . Dont think he is a 3 down LB in the NFL
    We're not talking about a first round pick here. Taking a guy like Nico Johnson in the 4th round is a great get. Saban teaches just about every player on his defense how to play coverage... Even players on the DL drop into coverage. He would be better coached and have a higher football IQ than many players that late in the draft as well (and probably most of the draft). Besides, look at the linebackers we have... We need some guys that move well and can help against the run. What were we, 25th against the run? If we can only get 2 downs out of the guy and it helps our whack rushing defense, I'll take it. I don't think the guy is going to be a star in the NFL, but we haven't exactly been taking linebackers early in the draft. If we wait til the 4th round (par for the course) and Nico is still there.. he's probably the best guy available... and that's what we're talking about here.

I don't recall Alabama's defense ever having any problems when he was playing. I'll be honest, I'm kind of sick of people always talking about linebackers moving backwards too. We're talking a mid round guy here, if you want a guy that sheds tackles, shuts down RBs and covers like a safety, take one in the first round. 4th round, I'll take an SEC guy that can move forward and side to side (what he'll be doing most) and has experience winning championships.
    Last edited by BlueSabbath; 01-23-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I would agree with this in certain situations like Brockers last year for LSU as a RS Soph. However Nico is a Senior and has consistently been pulled every year he has played and this season it want just for 1 player. Last year he was pulled just for Mosley and with Hightower there as the MIKE I wouldnt hold it against him. This season however he was passed over as the Starting Mike for the Soph Depriest and lost even more snaps to Mosley. He also lost snaps to Hubbard although it may have been to generate more of a pass rush since Alabama lacked a player as good as Upshaw.
    He didn't lose any snaps to Hubbard.. Hubbard played a different position. Saban runs different schemes for different teams. Nico could start one week and then not start for quite a while, depending on how the schedule panned out. I'm pretty sure he was always the starting LB in their base 3-4. When they faced more pass heavy defenses, yes, his playing time decreased because that's not what he's best fitted for. That's exactly what teams tried to do against Alabama, so yes, his snaps decreased as teams were forced to abandon the run. BUT, I think he could be adequate and brings enough against the run and in terms of IQ and leadership for me to like him as a pick if we haven't taken a guy by the 4th or so and he's still there. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And trust me, I'd rather have CJ Mosley and when that guy DePriest is ready, probably him as well. They're not and I don't think this is a very good year for drafting LBs.
    Last edited by BlueSabbath; 01-23-2013 at 10:07 AM.

I still wonder what exactly the point of adding a two down linebacker who offers nothing as a pass rusher is.

Do they need a new SAM that can't cover and has to come of the field that badly?

+ Reply to Thread