+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: Nico Johnson LB, Alabama

  1. #31
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,969
    If you're a linebacker that can't play three downs, we don't need you regardless of what round. Said the same thing about Greg Jones even though he was a 6th rder.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I still wonder what exactly the point of adding a two down linebacker who offers nothing as a pass rusher is.

    Do they need a new SAM that can't cover and has to come of the field that badly?
    I still wonder why our linebackers suck and have sucked for years yet we fail to address the situation with an early pick.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    If you're a linebacker that can't play three downs, we don't need you regardless of what round. Said the same thing about Greg Jones even though he was a 6th rder.
    I don't think he'd just be a two down guy if we drafted him. While he's not the best linebacker against the pass and does have some weaknesses, my point is that I think he'd be serviceable in pass defense and upgrade our rush defense. If he sucked, well, par for the course with the way we've been drafting LBs. I thought Dillard and Jones would suck... I don't think NJ would. Not really much more we can say on the guy... if you guys have some other targets for 4th or later, let's talk about them.

  4. #34
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    37,658
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    I still wonder why our linebackers suck and have sucked for years yet we fail to address the situation with an early pick.
    You mean like an early 2nd rounder? Oh wait...

    What position on this team have they drafted early that they haven't needed?

  5. #35
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    37,658
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    I don't think he'd just be a two down guy if we drafted him. While he's not the best linebacker against the pass and does have some weaknesses, my point is that I think he'd be serviceable in pass defense and upgrade our rush defense. If he sucked, well, par for the course with the way we've been drafting LBs. I thought Dillard and Jones would suck... I don't think NJ would. Not really much more we can say on the guy... if you guys have some other targets for 4th or later, let's talk about them.
    He's a two down linebacker in college. Why would he all of a sudden be a three down player in the nfl?

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    He's a two down linebacker in college. Why would he all of a sudden be a three down player in the nfl?
    Because of the talent around him. I'm not guaranteeing he will. Just that in this draft, if we pick late, I'd gamble on him. Yall are making good points, just call it a gut feeling.

    The only DE you have on your mock is in the third round and you seem to admit he'd only play on passing downs.
    Last edited by BlueSabbath; 01-23-2013 at 12:31 PM.

  7. #37
    Would rather have a SAM LB who can offer pass rushing abilities on 3rd down and can also offer sound coverage skills with natural hips. Johnson is a good teammate but I think he's a ST player in the NFL.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    Because of the talent around him. I'm not guaranteeing he will. Just that in this draft, if we pick late, I'd gamble on him. Yall are making good points, just call it a gut feeling.

    The only DE you have on your mock is in the third round and you seem to admit he'd only play on passing downs.
    A Situational Pass Rusher is a hell of a lot more valuable than a 2 Down LB

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Would rather have a SAM LB who can offer pass rushing abilities on 3rd down and can also offer sound coverage skills with natural hips. Johnson is a good teammate but I think he's a ST player in the NFL.
    I wouldnt pigeon hole him that much he could play on early downs possibly I just dont think he would be a Nickel player. I

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    A Situational Pass Rusher is a hell of a lot more valuable than a 2 Down LB
    I agree (sure as hell wouldn't want our only DE taken that early to be someone I think is only a situational pass rusher though) but again, I don't necessarily think Nico would only be a 2 down LB on our roster. Like I said, more of a gut feeling and thinking if we address LB late, I want someone with championship and SEC experience... and again, this has a lot to do with what I think of this class of LBs. I don't like that many outside of some early guys. A different year, I probably wouldn't be arguing much for a LB of his caliber. Still looking at some other guys that will be around late but for now, I'm all for Nico if we wait (which just to be clear, I don't want us to do).

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts