+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Giants Keep Or Dump: Keith Rivers

NY Giants Keep Or Dump: Keith Rivers

http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/18/...-keith-rivers/

Excerpt: The New York Giants knew what they were getting when they traded a fifth-round draft pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for linebacker Keith Rivers last offseason. Rivers was an incredibly athletic specimen with a complete inability to stay healthy, as he had missed the entire 2011 season with a wrist injury. Although the team hoped the former first-round pick out of USC would be able to break out of his shell this year, RIvers saw limited playing time in just 11 games while making 44 tackles.

The Giants did not get what they wanted out of Rivers this season. His presence on the field was inconsistent at best, which made it hard to keep him incorporated into the defensive gameplan. When he was able to play, he seemed lost at times and inhibited the defense's ability to operate at full strength. As Rivers enters free agency, he is hoping that he can sign another short term contract that will allow him to prove his ability.

The question now for the Giants is whether they should further pursue Rivers. Obviously, he was a disappointment last year and he did not develop into the player many thought he would become. However, he has tantalizing potential that has not been harnessed by any of his coaches throughout his four-year career. Perhaps, if his athleticism hasn't translated into production by now, it never will. But is that a chance the Giants can afford to take?

The depth chart at linebacker is thin. With the potential departure of Michael Boley, it's only going to get thinner. Rivers is a young, athletic, versatile player that has all the physical tools to develop into an impact player on the defensive side of the ball. He has yet to demonstrate an ability to stay healthy, but that doesn't mean next season can't be the year he puts it together. After a year in Perry Fewell's scheme, Rivers has the potential to return in 2013 with an advanced knowledge of the defense and all the talent necessary to excel within it." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

This is going to be nice and short. Goodbye Keith Rivers!

Veteran
    He's only good for about 4 games, dump him if we can get someone better.

I'm not opposed to keep him for the vet min. He was a decent player when he was on the field. Though that was rare

Veteran
    Keep him.. for the right price

Do we have anyone at linebacker who is better? Maybe, but not by much. Can we afford him? Sure, he would be a cheap add. So why not give him another chance and hope he can put it all together?
    Do not feed the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Do we have anyone at linebacker who is better? Maybe, but not by much. Can we afford him? Sure, he would be a cheap add. So why not give him another chance and hope he can put it all together?
    This

Regarding who the Giants will have at linebackers for the 2013 season, that won't be truly answered until after free agency and the draft. Last time I checked, there's still people on the Manti Te'o train. Is Keith Rivers at a high risk of being signed by another team? I don't think so.

Rivers when he played played well but he also lived up to his history of staying injured!

i think hes in the same boat as Barden.

if the Giants want he he can prolly be had for a decent price!

A depth guy that the Giants did not give too much away to get. I would definitely bring him back as a depth guy and with his history I am not sure anyone would give him a huge contract. The guy was nothing but potential and that was about it.

+ Reply to Thread