+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not go LB the first 2 rounds? If possible

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Ogletree is probably one of those prospects who needs to go to the right team and the right conditioning/weightlifting program to become a star MLB. Blackburn could probably teach him some good things before he would take over the reigns in year 2. Actually sort of comes off as the "David Wilson" of this year's LB prospects. Has the most upside from an athletic perspective, extremely young, and needs additional coaching to become more instinctual at the position.

I'd still prefer another pass rusher in the 1st and if we do pickup a LB, I want someone like a Barkevious Mingo or Jamie Collins who could play the Sam and always present a threat as a pass rusher from the outside too.
    thanks enigma. thats basically what i said, that he physically didnt look the part of a nfl mlb, too lean and lanky imo. some poster like accosted me bc of that statement tho so I wasnt sure. but yeah thats why id be upset if we took him rd 1. we need some guys to make immediate impacts and ogeltree desnt strike me as that as a mlb.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Depends on where he ends up.If a team can keep him clean or doesnt mind giving up some against the run for increased athletic ability against the pass than he can play MLB right away. He can play outside anywhere for anybody.He needs to add some strength to his base until Id say he is a 4-3 MLB anywhere.
    well then it would be moot bc with us, we wouldnt be able to keep him clean as a mlb esp with the dl as currently constituted. and we already have williams, boley, rivers, paysinger as olb players. hed be a nice new toy i just dunno i think we could improve the team better than ogeltree rd 1. rd 2 would be a diff story i guess

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    thanks enigma. thats basically what i said, that he physically didnt look the part of a nfl mlb, too lean and lanky imo. some poster like accosted me bc of that statement tho so I wasnt sure. but yeah thats why id be upset if we took him rd 1. we need some guys to make immediate impacts and ogeltree desnt strike me as that as a mlb.
    He actually looked really good against Alabama and even stronger than Te'o did when it came to 3rd and shorts and goal line stands too. He will just have issues against run heavy teams with his current weight until he adds around 10 more lbs. The few times he did struggle against Alabama it was his lack of lower body strength that didn't let him make the tackle.

Meh, I think the Giants are going to take their chances on Blackburn and Rivers again instead of a Day 1 LBer but who knows.

Robert Lester out of Alabama is a senior. Although not sure if he will go to early on the Board before we pick. Not sure where he stands in Mock drafts..

Just checked and he must be WAY down draft boards for some reason. Didnt see him through first 4 rounds of some mock drafts. He seemed like a solid LB on a champion defense
    Last edited by miked1958; 01-20-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

One Mock I looked at had us taking Tao. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-d...ail.comAnother had us taking Jordan

4-New York Giants!!!!!

DE/Pass Rusher, and CB are the most important positions we should address.

Unless Warmack is on the board. I know most people wouldn't be stoked with a Guard in the first, but we need maulers on the OL and it'd be nice to get the dependence of the offense off of the skill position players who might get too pricey in the rapidly approaching future.

Off subject.. i realize this a a LB thread. but By the way they are projecting Barrett Jones (who I've watched for 4 yrs at Alabama) which I feel will be an excellent pro in second round. He won 3 Titles with Alabama at 3 different OLine positions. We could use a guy like this

4-New York Giants!!!!!

Veteran
    I think we should go Oline in the 2nd round

Quote Originally Posted by KillaRich View Post
    If the looney TE'O is there and Rutgers/Elizabeth, NJ's own Khaseem Greene is there in the 2nd.... I say do it......

LB core would be Greene/TE'O/Boley .... I know its 2 rookies...but we cant be any worse...Greene rotates with J-Will.....I always liked Chase but Herz will obviously be the backup MLB

Lose Osi no problem...Move Kiwi back to his natural position and watch him thrive....

then go O-Lineman ...Unless an O-lineman is BPA in the first..... then this whole idea is pointless lol
    I doubt Boley is on the team next season. He's a very likely cap casualty candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    Off subject.. i realize this a a LB thread. but By the way they are projecting Barrett Jones (who I've watched for 4 yrs at Alabama) which I feel will be an excellent pro in second round. He won 3 Titles with Alabama at 3 different OLine positions. We could use a guy like this
    Very versatile which would be nice here. I really hope our front office can overlook the fact that his ceiling, although not to high, still provides us a solid player.

I'm sick of these project tackles/turned guards/turned tackles again that leave us WITH NO ONE! The more solid guys we can get on the OL, the better we will be moving forward. If we do decide to go the heavy (pardon the pun) route of offensive lineman, it'll be a testament to how we approach the looming contract situations of Cruz and Nicks.

With either offensive dynamic, whether the focus lies heavily on the OL or the skill position players, I'm confident that we can be very successful. We've won with both formulas in the past.

+ Reply to Thread