+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giants May Be In For Rocky 2013 Offseason

http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/20/...013-offseason/

Excerpt: "Obviously, it's still way too early to give a definitive prognosis on the likelihood of the New York Giants returning to title contention in 2013. Free agency has yet to begin, the NFL Combine hasn't taken place and the draft boards are still fluctuating. We don't even know which team the Giants will be chasing to reclaim the title of defending Super Bowl champions. However, one thing we do know is that this offseason will require an admirable level of patience from Giants players, coaches and fans alike.

First off, anything the team does will be predicated upon the salary cap. Big Blue is currently faced with a$4.17 million salary cap deficit which will limit the moves the team can make in the offseason. Obviously, it's never been Jerry Reese's style to make gaudy free agent signings to become cornerstones on the roster. For the Giants, free agency has been utilized to plug minor holes, not glaring needs.

However, this offseason, the roster will see significantly more turnover than it did a year ago. Osi Umenyiora is gone, Kenny Phillips is likely to leave as well, while 25 other players will be classified as free agents. Victor Cruzneeds a new contract and two starting offensive linemen, Will Beatty and Kevin Boothe, are going to see considerable interest from team's around the league. Given the salary cap situation the Giants are in, it's going to be tough to retain the talent on the roster.

The Giants have dealt with rocky offseasons before. Prior to 2011, we saw he likes of Shaun O'Hara, Rich Seubert, Barry Cofield, Kevin Boss and Steve Smith all leave. Despite grave predictions of where the Giants would end up at the end of the season, Big Blue stormed their way to another Lombardi Trophy. The Giants will head into 2013 with a considerable amount of talent, but it's going to be a tough road to next training camp." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Most offseasons are rough in the salary cap era. I can't say it's worse than the three other teams in the division.

There are a couple of players that will have to be resigned, I think Beatty is one of them. Probably could loose Boothe but Beatty at LT is a key to the Giants future. Other than Beatty I don't think there is anybody that can't be replaced on the line. Canty is another player that we will likely have to move forward with. We were thin at DT this year and our ability to stop the run will not get better if we let him go. I like KP and Boley but it will be difficult to keep them all. Yes we'll watch the team get torn apart and rebuilt, don't know how it will look but the Giants have been through difficult times before. They really have to get their cap under control; Eli's cap hit is one of the big reasons why we are in such sad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    Most offseasons are rough in the salary cap era. I can't say it's worse than the three other teams in the division.
    Very true
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Jerry Reese master of the draft, idiot in free agency. He's the reason he can't keep his good draft picks. Signings like Rolle, Canty, Baas, etc. Yes they are all solid players who for the most part contributed to our super bowl victory, but he overpaid all of them by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by WiIdcat View Post
    Jerry Reese master of the draft, idiot in free agency. He's the reason he can't keep his good draft picks. Signings like Rolle, Canty, Baas, etc. Yes they are all solid players who for the most part contributed to our super bowl victory, but he overpaid all of them by millions.
    It's easy to look back and say they were overpaid. Reese doesn't enjoy the benefits of a crystal ball. He also signed Bennett, Andre Brown, and Stevie Brown in FA.

# 80

And Weatherford allowed us to get out of Dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch842 View Post
    And Weatherford allowed us to get out of Dodge.
    +1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It's easy to look back and say they were overpaid. Reese doesn't enjoy the benefits of a crystal ball. He also signed Bennett, Andre Brown, and Stevie Brown in FA.
    Also injuries don't make a guy overrated,canty is a big presence when healthy as we saw last year, no one here is privy to scheme run by coaches,so to omplain about rolle is off base as well, this whole team had an of year, next year they'll come back hungry,hopefully healthy, that being said , Beatty and Philips , 2 priorities far as I'm concerned, Stevie could be a flash in the pan but Philips when healthy has been a solid solid backfield presence. By the way baas needs to be cut, had such high expectations for him, but he's just whiffing on blocks his 2nd year here ,I mean come on guy, get it together.haha.

I think Canty IS the problem with the run. I wonder if people here actually watch football.