+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NY Giants Keep Or Dump: Chase Blackburn

http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/20/...ase-blackburn/

Excerpt: "The New York Giants were incredibly fortunate to find Chase Blackburn sitting on his couch in Ohio in the midst of their 2011 season. Michael Boley was injured, neither Mark Herzlich nor Greg Jones were ready for the challenge and the Giants had no answers to fill their void at MIKE linebacker. Blackburn came to the rescue and immediately improved the quality of play that Big Blue had bee receiving at that position. Blackburn's performance in 2011 and at times in 2012 was nothing short of heroic. He doesn't have anywhere near the athleticism that many of his competitors possess, yet he finds a way to play productively at the highest level.

No matter what happens this offseason, Blackburn will remain a beloved member of the Giants organization. His hard work, determination and leadership were instrumental aspects of Big Blue's 2011 Super Bowl victory. Furthermore, his interception on a Tom Brady pass in the fourth quarter of last seasons title game sparked the drive that brought Big Blue their fourth Lombardi trophy. Big Blue coaches, players, front office members and fans all owe Chase Blackburn for the memories he helped create in last season's magical payoff run.

However, as we say here nearly every day at Giants 101, the NFL is a business. For the Giants defense to ever truly be considered an elite unit, the team is going to have to find a way to solidify the middle. It starts up front with the defensive tackles, but Blackburn's play at the second level was detrimental to the overall success of the unit. He's not fast enough to cover tight ends and back out of the backfield or to be a consistent factor against the run. In essence, he's a below average NFL linebacker who possess great awareness with marginal talent." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    Dump him only if he can be replaced with someone better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    Dump him only if he can be replaced with someone better.
    That's really going out on a limb
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

keep, he's cheap and knows system

They may be forced to replace all three linebackers.

Kiwi moves to DL
    Boley may be released
    Blackburn is a FA

Rivers is a FA

Really the only guy who is certain to be back next year is J Will.

Im not sure how feasable it is to replace all three starting LBs in one offseason. So I would think Blackburn will be brought back.

But that doesnt mean they wont attempt to bring in some competition for him.

Chase's best years were 11 and 12! he took advantage of an opportunity and is still grateful for it!

i think hes the type who remains grateful and play as hard as he can for the Giants, no other team just the Giants!

i'd like to see him stay for his experience and game attitude! that can carry over to younger players!

keep him for cheap.. as a back-up, depth.. probally end up the started again though.

Back Up! I hope!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bearbryant View Post
    Back Up! I hope!
    as long as he's there I fear he's gonna be the starter again

lets trade him for a 1st rounder