+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to blow up a running play.

Everyone talks (rightly so) about how LT was a feared pass rusher....but check out how Taylor used the other team's blockers to destroy a running play.

Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 01-22-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

There's a reason he's credited with changing how the game is played
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Awesome Video, gets the juices flowing doesn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I really dont expect Michael Boley to be the greatest OLB of all time

I really dont expect Michael Boley to be the greatest OLB of all time.My might to pull back those expectations some they may never have a player that great again

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I really dont expect Michael Boley to be the greatest OLB of all time.My might to pull back those expectations some they may never have a player that great again
    LT was amazing and they say he was only a pass rusher. I still believe he was the greatest defensive player ever.

g.o.a.t.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The "changed the game" thing is sort of not true. He did, but not really because he was a great player. It was because he didn't do what he should have done.

A lot of the plays he made early in his career he just rushed up field instead of dropping back into coverage

Sort of similar, I suppose, to Ed reed and Polamalu deserting their zone to try to make a play.

Now I'm not trying to take away how great he was, because he was. But teams had just never had an outside linebacker blitzing all the time like that. Now a days teams just handle those guys with the OT. But then the OT was dedicated to he DE. And LT got matchups against backs and TEs. Or often nobody at all.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 01-22-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Taylor had amazing physical gifts.....but he also had something that is just lacking from the LBs we have.....an intense desire to be the guy to make the play. In the highlights, there are so many plays where the action is nowhere near him.....early on the tape, he misses a tackle, and then springs back up to make the play.

That seemed to be totally missing from this defense, with the possible exception of JPP, and with honorable mention to Blackburn, Rolle, and Stevie Brown. Prince seems to show some of it too.

I fault Fewell somewhat for this, and it goes back to my intense dislike for "react" defenses. I thank God that Taylor had Belichick, and not Fewell, as his DC....the guy might not be in the Hall otherwise.

In short, a mindset was missing.....the sort of mindset that made Lawrence Taylor so much more than all the wannabe "next Lawrence Taylors"......it's the mindset that made separated Pete Rose from his peers. It's what allowed an otherwise average athlete like Billy Martin to become a Yankee legend.

So yeah, I get the "there will never be another LT" explanation. But for ****'s sakes, this is the NY Giants, and I expect our defense to play with some passion.....that could have helped make the difference this season.

I'd love to see what Taylor would do against the read-option fad that is sweeping the NFL right now.....he turn the play into a cartoon.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 01-22-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell