+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    Who do you have in mind ?
    alec ogeltree, love the kid. some will complain that he cant shed blocks but that is not accurate. does he need help in that department? yes..is it just a matter of getting stronger and adding weight? I would think so. You can find weakness in every prospect in the draft, that's why they are prospects. he plays MLB for Georgia in the SEC against top players and teams. he is a converted safety a la brian urlacher and the boy can run. he also excels in coverage and against the run. He currently stands 6'3 232 with a long athletic frame with plenty of room to grow, and possesses all the tools to be a 3 down LB. the problem is I believe he is gone by 19, and if so then nobody else interests me in the first. possibly arthur brown or kasheem greene in the 2nd if they are still there.

I also think he has the tools to be a MLB at the next level but I feel like he is going to be available at 19 but that been said don't think the Giants are willing to spend the a first for him.
    Last edited by G-Men Surg.; 01-21-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Error

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    alec ogeltree, love the kid. some will complain that he cant shed blocks but that is not accurate. does he need help in that department? yes..is it just a matter of getting stronger and adding weight? I would think so. You can find weakness in every prospect in the draft, that's why they are prospects. he plays MLB for Georgia in the SEC against top players and teams. he is a converted safety a la brian urlacher and the boy can run. he also excels in coverage and against the run. He currently stands 6'3 232 with a long athletic frame with plenty of room to grow, and possesses all the tools to be a 3 down LB. the problem is I believe he is gone by 19, and if so then nobody else interests me in the first. possibly arthur brown or kasheem greene in the 2nd if they are still there.
    I also think he has the tools to be a MLB at the next level but I feel like he is going to be available at 19 but that been said don't think the Giants are willing to spend the a first for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    I was shocked by the Wilson pick, but it was a need.. I think MLB is the biggest need
    I would not be angry if the Giants draft Alec but sure will be shock if the do, at least with the first pick.

Don't think it's a dying breed . just that the gmen suck at picking linebackers. Williams is the last decent one they pick in a long time. This yr I hoping for Kevin Red**** of UNC in the 2nd rd. Think he is very underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    With lots of school programs playing 3-4 D and hybrids systems scheming against wide spreed O's it seems every year finding a " true " 4-3 MLB gets more and more difficult. The talent level gap between Te'o and Ogletree and the rest of the MLB seems quite considerable. This is nothing new as we all know and have living proof on our team with Fewell running the 3 safety look often and relying less of a MLB in his system. This year isn't the exception with only Te'o and Ogletree worthy of 1st round pick and of course Te'p looks like he would battle to fit Fewell system and Ogletree a reach at 19. Another year without a " true MLB " ? Thougths?
    The Redskins are a good example of why the 4-3 defense will never go away.

A great run game.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    It wont happen but do you think the Giants have the personal to switch to a 3-4..?

DT - Tuck / Canty
    NT - Lival
    OLB - JPP / Kiwi
    ILB - Blackburn?? / I have no idea
    Not even remotely.

While more teams are switching to a 34, the collegiate ranks are still dominated by the 4-3, albeit in multiple hybridized schemes. I think you'll prboably see more teams switching to the 43 in the NFL though.

The 43 LB position isn't a dying breed, but possibly an evolving one. I think the position that will change the most is the sam, where teams may favor more speed as a containment player over a stacked run stuffer in order to counter team's passing attacks and the new breed of TEs. I think the perception of lack of MLB talent has more to do with the fact that it doesn't carry the positional value of pass rushers and corners in the early rounds. I think we're even starting to see the recent trend of high picks on safeties tempering a bit.

we really need to come away with a talented LB prospect in this year or next years draft. the two championship games today proved how important good linebackers really are. san fran's LB core is just absolutely filthy, I would love to have just one of them.
    Bowman was a 3rd round pick they picked the right guy thats all. .Aldon Smith is a pass rusher he would be good on any team just because he is labeled a LB makes no difference. The only true LB they spent a high pick on was Willis. The spot for value on LB's is the 2nd or 3rd round

I do agree that adding more bulk to his base especially may fix his faults. Its entirely possible that he is gone when the Giants pick, so will Ansah. The Giants could be left with some meager choices at 19 and will be forced to reach