+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    As much as Tim Lewis' defense was doo doo, Strahan still managed to break the single season sack record under it and got DPOY. Sheridan had some very big shoes to fill with Spag's scheme. I feel that he was under an enormous amount of pressure and some people cannot perform under such conditions. I'm sure Tampa Bay will get better in time if they decide to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    ... and now wrap your head around the fact that we just had the absolute worst defense in franchise history under Fewell

I'm going to be sick...
    I share the same sediment. Bill Sheridan was given one opportunity while Fewell has been given chance after chance.
    "In Reese, We No Longer Trust"

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    A big issue with the defense was the sheer number of big plays allowed. I think we gave up something like over 40 plays of over 20 yards. We were the third or fourth worst team in the league.
    it seemed like we gave up a 3rd and 20 or more at least 1x a game

Quote Originally Posted by Drystt View Post
    As much as Tim Lewis' defense was doo doo, Strahan still managed to break the single season sack record under it and got DPOY. Sheridan had some very big shoes to fill with Spag's scheme. I feel that he was under an enormous amount of pressure and some people cannot perform under such conditions. I'm sure Tampa Bay will get better in time if they decide to keep him.
    ??wasnt that under Fox?

Ah tooshe, Confused 01 & 02 seasons. ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Drystt View Post
    Ah tooshe, Confused 01 & 02 seasons. ;/
    u might be right i was more asking. i thought it was fox...

The defense is the main issue, but upgrading OLINE is also a must.. But its kinda hard to blame fewell, when he had to deal with tons of injuries and TUCK OSI and JPP combining for 16.5 sacks, which just isn't gonna cut it...

As far as i'm concerned, PF played with much more of a handicap this season than Killdrive did. Webster, Tuck, and Osi flat out refused to perform at the level they are known for (it is unknown whether it was injuries or decline, perhaps both, that affected them). Boley, Williams and Rivers were both injured for a large part of the season, as was Canty, and KP as well. For the most part, PF tried to work with the personnel he had. 3 safety sets happened a few times (especially when KP was able to see the field), and while the 4-4 set that was used against the Ravens didn't really work, I have to give PF credit for at least trying something new instead of just going with the same old BS. Not to mention PF actually gave rookies a chance to grow and develop (Hosley, Kuhn). The ONLY thing I personally lay at the feet of PF is the fact that he didn't give any playing time to Ojomo and little to Tracy, even with regards to a rotational basis, and I still wonder if that was his decision or if TC overruled him on personnel (Ojomo was only active in one game all season, for instance).

Killdrive had a LOT more to work with. The only real injuries were to Brown, Locklear, and to a certain extent, Bradshaw and Nicks. Yet Killdrive forged on ahead as though they were all healthy. Moreover, giving Diehl play time over a healthy Locklear makes me scratch my head (although I feel that was TC's choice). He didn't let Wilson or Randle gain crucial field experience until it was too late, and pretty much NEVER gave Robinson a chance (is he REALLY worse than Bear Pascoe or Travis Beckum?) The system never changed as well... it was the same old predictable playcalling: throw deep on third and short, run on third and long, use low% deep passes a lot with no slants or screens, and the famous shotgun draw. The funny thing is, the games where Killdrive actually did show some spark of creativity were games we won in blowout fashion (49ers game had direct snap to Bradshaw, Saints game had a reverse to Cruz, etc., both fairly early in the game as well)

TL;DR, defensive woes are due to injury more than system, while the opposite holds true (to a lesser extent) for offense. Overall, however, there was a lot of untapped talent in depth that we didn't use.

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

I would take this year's D over Lewis and Sheridan's D anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    The defense was bad, but the offense was worse.
    This should be in red font.

I am not going to sit here and tell you the offense was great or even good but I will confidently say they were a little bit above average. The defense on the other hand was ATTROCIOUS. Come on man, how many 500 yard games did they give up? They couldn't get off the field. Who gives a flying fark how many point the give up if they let the other team control the clock and have multiple long drives a game? They were putting our offense in bad a position by having less time of possession and worse field position. When did you ever feel comfortable that they would ever force a 3 and out? For me thats a simple answer, NEVER!