+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martellus Bennett "Plans On Retiring" With The Giants

Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    I'll admit I have heard Cruz say he wants to retire a Giant. But I think there is a difference between planning and wanting. Paired with the fact that Bennett has also said he would consider taking a discount to stay here.

I'm not saying that Cruz isn't as selfless as Bennett either, it could just be a case of Cruz's management having him stay a little more tight lipped than Bennett's.

Either way, Bennett has had an opportunity to see the grass on the other side, Cruz hasn't. I believe it's affecting Bennett's approach to this considerably.
    Cruz and his handlers are very wise not to discuss any details in public. Cruz has expressed his thanks to the Giants any number of times. It remains to be seen if he will be a Giant of the future.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Cruz and his handlers are very wise not to discuss any details in public. Cruz has expressed his thanks to the Giants any number of times. It remains to be seen if he will be a Giant of the future.
    I'm a bit surprised he doesn't have a contract yet, is it because we don't have any cap space since we can't cut anyone?

Nice!
    New York Giants Superbowl XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    I'm a bit surprised he doesn't have a contract yet, is it because we don't have any cap space since we can't cut anyone?
    It will happen before March 12th or Cruz may well be history here. So much of who they can re-sign depends on who they can release and at what cost. They can put a tender on Cruz, which hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't mean another team won't pay the price for him with a bigger contract. Personally, I think they will get a deal done.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Cruz is going to get paid either way. It's about time and I couldn't be more happier for him. Bennett is a keeper and should be high in the priority of being re-signed.

I like Martellus...seems like a good guy, but I think it would be a mistake to put that kind of money into the TE position. The Giants' offense doesn't rely on the TE enough to warrant a million dollar contract. Jake Ballard and Kevin Boss were low cost players that were just as effective as Bennett. Hopefully he gets a nice contract but not with the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    I'll admit I have heard Cruz say he wants to retire a Giant. But I think there is a difference between planning and wanting. Paired with the fact that Bennett has also said he would consider taking a discount to stay here.

I'm not saying that Cruz isn't as selfless as Bennett either, it could just be a case of Cruz's management having him stay a little more tight lipped than Bennett's.

Either way, Bennett has had an opportunity to see the grass on the other side, Cruz hasn't. I believe it's affecting Bennett's approach to this considerably.
    GREAT point. bennetts seen how other franchises, supposed top quality ones, are run and for whatever reason, he prefers it here way more. i hope he retires a giant too, after a solid 7-12 yrs lol and he becomes the next tony g.

I'm glad to hear this. If he is utilized more in the coming season, he can be a great asset to the team.
    Adversity makes for a worthy adversary.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    I do too. He had a really good first season for us and he will be a huge part of this offense as his role grows. I would love for him to stay and also to get an OC that can implement a better offensive scheme and use the weapons we have properly.
    he had about as good a year as a giants TE's had, and the scary thing, i dont think he even came close to reaching the potential he has. in todays game, the middle of the field is often the best way to attack defenses, ESPECIALLY with nicks and cruz on the outside. KG better start using the TE as much as possible bc MB is more than talented enough to be a legit 1 option...ideally, imo, this offense running at its best all year would produce a 1,000 yd 60 reception, 6-8 TD season from MB in combo with Nicks n Cruz...

Bennett realizes that we can give him something no other team really can in this day and age: a system that works best with his skills. Bennett is a beast in blocking, and we're one of the few teams that looks at TE first as a blocker and second as a receiver.
    Andre the Giant

+ Reply to Thread