+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 182

Thread: Is Joe Flacco the AFC version of Eli Manning?

  1. #31
    All-Pro Delicreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    5,446
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    It's simple. If you thought that Eli was elite after his 2007 SB win, you better think that Flacco is also elite. Anything else is a double standard.
    I don't think you are following me:

    If the birds win, you, Gumby74 (and Buddy33), will be exposed to a great many talking heads who will say that Flacco ain't no Eli.

    You will hear, "yes, but Manning..." over and over again.

    And if Flacco doesn't get MVP, then you will hear how Manning has two.

    If he does get MVP, you will also hear how Manning has two.

    You see this coming, right? This is exactly what talking heads do; there is no stopping it. Best case for you is that a few do compare Eli and Flacco favorably and you can hold onto that, and ignore the massive number of talking heads who will say that Eli is in another class.
    This space for rent

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    I don't think you are following me:

    If the birds win, you, Gumby74 (and Buddy33), will be exposed to a great many talking heads who will say that Flacco ain't no Eli.

    You will hear, "yes, but Manning..." over and over again.

    And if Flacco doesn't get MVP, then you will hear how Manning has two.

    If he does get MVP, you will also hear how Manning has two.

    You see this coming, right? This is exactly what talking heads do; there is no stopping it. Best case for you is that a few do compare Eli and Flacco favorably and you can hold onto that, and ignore the massive number of talking heads who will say that Eli is in another class.
    Ha. More nonsense the merrier. I'll say this. Flacco is better than Eli at the same point in their career imo. But as it is now, Flacco is not as good as Eli - even if Flacco win's a SB.

    If Flacco does win a SB, he'll be under similar scrutiny that Eli did when he won his first. The 2 QBs just aren't very - for lack of a better word, convincing. And until they are more convincing, the public will be all over them.

  3. #33
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,947
    Still don't get at its wrong to say they are both good QB's:

  4. #34
    All-Pro Delicreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    5,446
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    Ha. More nonsense the merrier. I'll say this. Flacco is better than Eli at the same point in their career imo. But as it is now, Flacco is not as good as Eli - even if Flacco win's a SB.

    If Flacco does win a SB, he'll be under similar scrutiny that Eli did when he won his first. The 2 QBs just aren't very - for lack of a better word, convincing. And until they are more convincing, the public will be all over them.
    Wow...didn't think you would set me up like that. Or were you just looking for a preview of what you will hear post SB?

    "Whatever questions there were after Eli won his first SB, the were pretty much erased when he won his second (and second MVP)."
    "A lot of guys have won 1 SB, but just a few have one more than one"
    "Only 5 guys have more than one MVP--Eli is one of 'em"
    "Beat the most dominant team of the decade...twice!!"

    By the way, the public is not all over Eli any longer.
    The public is trying to decide if Eli belongs in the HOF.
    This space for rent

  5. #35
    I think it really helps to be an underdog where people are writing you off and have so much less expectations. If Flacco lost, what else could have people said that hadn't been said anyway? You can always improve from that and might as well shut up the critics and the detractors along the way. I think Brady, otoh, is in some kind of a slump, and his poor play during the postseason may be mental. I think he's feeling the pressure that keeps building up since he lost in 2008, and he could not get out of the funk. It's an enormous responsibility to be in the precipice of history. Hopefully, Eli, whenever he gets a chance again in the Super Bowl (next year at MetLife cough cough) will not wilt against the pressure.

  6. #36
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Del Boca Vista
    Posts
    16,493
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBookOfEli View Post
    I can't help but see how strikingly similar Joe Flacco and Eli Manning are. Of course Eli has the 2 rings but both are wildly inconsistent but come crunch time, including playoff time, these 2 always show up. I would love to one day see these 2 go at it in a Superbowl.

    Both even have similar nicknames- Joe Cool and Easy E.
    We could even the score from 2000.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905
    Get well, get back #80

  7. #37
    All-Pro gmen0820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Audubon, New Jersey
    Posts
    19,492
    Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Luck, are all guys that I'd take over Flacco, just from the AFC. If he is barely cracking the top five in his own conference, how can he be the AFC version of a bonafide top 5 NFL QB?

  8. #38
    All-Pro JJC7301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    5,324
    I've been hard on Flacco because I'm sick of hearing about good he was for the past 4 years without accomplishing anything, but his team is always in the playoffs and they play in a very tough division with the Steelers.

    Yeah, I understand the Manning comparisons. They make sense. If Flacco wins the SB, he'll get more props and deservedly so.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    Ha. More nonsense the merrier. I'll say this. Flacco is better than Eli at the same point in their career imo. But as it is now, Flacco is not as good as Eli - even if Flacco win's a SB.

    If Flacco does win a SB, he'll be under similar scrutiny that Eli did when he won his first. The 2 QBs just aren't very - for lack of a better word, convincing. And until they are more convincing, the public will be all over them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    Wow...didn't think you would set me up like that. Or were you just looking for a preview of what you will hear post SB?

    "Whatever questions there were after Eli won his first SB, the were pretty much erased when he won his second (and second MVP)."
    "A lot of guys have won 1 SB, but just a few have one more than one"
    "Only 5 guys have more than one MVP--Eli is one of 'em"
    "Beat the most dominant team of the decade...twice!!"

    By the way, the public is not all over Eli any longer.
    The public is trying to decide if Eli belongs in the HOF.
    Actually, i think you read too much into my post. Just take what I wrote at face value. When I say that the public are all over Eli/Flacco, i just mean that they will continue to be criticized by the media. In Eli's case, it's his inconsistency. In Flacco's case, I don't know what it is. But I'm very unimpressed.

    But I think the public is still unimpressed with Eli. Can you imagine if Rodgers had 2 rings? What about Brees? Would there be any debate if they will be in the HoF? The answer is a definite, there will be no debate. Yet, here Eli is at age 32, with 2 SB rings and people are still debating and wondering.

  10. #40
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,947
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC7301 View Post
    I've been hard on Flacco because I'm sick of hearing about good he was for the past 4 years without accomplishing anything, but his team is always in the playoffs and they play in a very tough division with the Steelers. Yeah, I understand the Manning comparisons. They make sense. If Flacco wins the SB, he'll get more props and deservedly so.
    He has actually been very good in the post season which is almost every year.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts