+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Joe Flacco the AFC version of Eli Manning?

Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    Well, all that meant to say was that he is CLUTCH and he can close out the game when needed to bring home the trophy, which he did twice both in the last two minutes and winning 2 Super Bowl MVPs along the way, one which you would like to discount. Hey, if trophies were easily won, then how come none were won since the 1990 and before 2007? It's not like we did not get a chance, you could not say the 2000 Giants were not better in the regular season than these last two who won. The 2000 Giants were 12-4 after all. Eli did not make boneheaded mistakes in his two postseason runs, he had amazing stats and that's what counted. We brought him here because the scouting report basically summarized in one word that he's clutch, which to me means postseason success and bringing home a trophy when given a chance, no more than a chance that 9-7 team who got out scored all season long deserved, and more certainly not against the best team ever that played the regular season.

For someone who hated to be misquoted or misinterpted, you seemed to have no problem doing the same thing.
    I promise you that I didn't misquote you. I actually copied and pasted your post.
    My only point is that our TEAM won those two (actually all 4) SB's. Not one player. I do understand that the QB is a very important component of course.
    But those wins were really team victories, especially given the tremendous defensive performances in both those playoff runs.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBookOfEli View Post
    I can't help but see how strikingly similar Joe Flacco and Eli Manning are. Of course Eli has the 2 rings but both are wildly inconsistent but come crunch time, including playoff time, these 2 always show up. I would love to one day see these 2 go at it in a Superbowl.

Both even have similar nicknames- Joe Cool and Easy E.
    No way. Joe Flacco has a rocket arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I promise you that I didn't misquote you. I actually copied and pasted your post.
    My only point is that our TEAM won those two (actually all 4) SB's. Not one player. I do understand that the QB is a very important component of course.
    But those wins were really team victories, especially given the tremendous defensive performances in both those playoff runs.
    No one is arguing that, I'm certainly not about the team game. But we got Eli because he's clutch and he's proven that. Clutch players when given a chance will play their best at the biggest stage and at the most pressurized situation which he did in his two postseason runs. That's pretty much all I am saying. Yes, he played clutch in the two Super Bowl runs to win us the game, or better yet to outscore the opponent. I really don't know what term to use, so you will not misinterpret me. He could have just been flustered, and not play out of his mind. He could have been Mcnabb and threw up. Or he could just be Kerry Collins. Or he could just be Tony Romo in the posteason. At the worst, he did not lose us the Super Bowl games and at the best, he actually rose up to the challenge and outscored the opponent in the last 2 mins. Nothing against everybody else who played tremendous in the two postseason runs either, but their individual merit is not necessarily in discussion here. I guess what I'm saying is that if our QB was not Eli in those two postseason runs, who else could have played that position that would have not messed things up? Certainly, not Kerry Collins. We can even start in our division with Tony Romo. You think Tony Romo would not have squandered those two postseasons runs? He did have a better team in 2007. It was All-Pros vs All-Joes. We were never the best team in the regular season in both those runs, we actually just squeaked by and if we did not have a QB like Eli then we would still be chasing our 3rd Super Bowl.

Banned
    No one is arguing that, I'm certainly not about the team game. But we got Eli because he's clutch and he's proven that. Clutch players when given a chance will play their best at the biggest stage and at the most pressurized situation which he did in his two postseason runs. That's pretty much all I am saying. Yes, he played clutch in the two Super Bowl runs to win us the game, or better yet to outscore the opponent. I really don't know what term to use, so you will not misinterpret me. He could have just been flustered, and not play out of his mind. He could have been Mcnabb and threw up. Or he could just be Kerry Collins. Or he could just be Tony Romo in the posteason. At the worst, he did not lose us the Super Bowl games and at the best, he actually rose up to the challenge and outscored the opponent in the last 2 mins. Nothing against everybody else who played tremendous in the two postseason runs either, but their individual merit is not necessarily in discussion here. I guess what I'm saying is that if our QB was not Eli in those two postseason runs, who else could have played that position that would have not messed things up? Certainly, not Kerry Collins. We can even start in our division with Tony Romo. You think Tony Romo would not have squandered those two postseasons runs? He did have a better team in 2007. It was All-Pros vs All-Joes. We were never the best team in the regular season in both those runs, we actually just squeaked by and if we did not have a QB like Eli then we would still be chasing our 3rd Super Bowl.
    You know what... you're absolutely right and Eli does deserve a little bit more respect. I was on his case after the 2010 season for numerous reasons that I don't care to specify but since we won our 2nd title, how can you not appreciate the man? I'll probably criticize him again but not to the point where I wanna dump him... I mean unless he starts playing like Dave Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by par404 View Post
    No way. Joe Flacco has a rocket arm.
    I think you're underestimating Eli's arm strength. I happen to think he's got a great arm, sure not as strong as Flacco but Eli can sling it.

These 3 stooges need to knock off this nonsense about Giants fans claiming ELI won the SB. Every fan who gives credit to Eli bringing us rings in 07 and 11, realize that it was a TEAM effort. The defense played much better in both playoffs than their regular seasons. That was quite obvious. Every Giants fan will tell you holding NE to 14 points was remarkable. Nobody in their right mind will suggest anything different.

When Giants fans give credit to Eli or the offense, it isn't a knock on the defense. So shut up with the nonsense bickering because it is getting very annoying for us to have to keep repeating our stances in every thread.

Next time someone says Eli played a helluva game, please try not to say "Oh so the defense and the other 50+ guys didn't show up." You guys (MS, gumby, buddy) are the obvious ones who continue to put words in peoples mouths unnecessarily. Please try not to imply anything differently when someone is just throwing a compliment out there towards our QB. We mean no offense towards other players and the coaching staff.

Your position in this post is quite valid. there is no doubt that Eli has been a clutch QB throughout his career. And I wouldn't suggest anything other than that.
    But it generally bugs we when I hear posters use terms like "Eli carried the team" or Eli won us 2 SB's". I just believe that this is a team sport and our two SB's recently were especially team efforts. Our defense played tremendously in both runs and were were winning games by small margins. Our offense made plays when they had to and deserve great credit. Its also true that in those 8 playoff wins, we scored more than 24 points just once.
    I would say that in general, the defensive performances were somewhat more impactful than the offense. especially in SB 42.

Eli is our QB and most certainly a leader on this team. He gets great credit for his contribution. But thats what it was...his "contribution". He didn't single handedly beat anyone.
    And to your question about who could have given us the same result? Its impossible to know. i would say that Phil could have without question. But all that is pure speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by EliDaMANning View Post
    These 3 stooges need to knock off this nonsense about Giants fans claiming ELI won the SB. Every fan who gives credit to Eli bringing us rings in 07 and 11, realize that it was a TEAM effort. The defense played much better in both playoffs than their regular seasons. That was quite obvious. Every Giants fan will tell you holding NE to 14 points was remarkable. Nobody in their right mind will suggest anything different.

When Giants fans give credit to Eli or the offense, it isn't a knock on the defense. So shut up with the nonsense bickering because it is getting very annoying for us to have to keep repeating our stances in every thread.

Next time someone says Eli played a helluva game, please try not to say "Oh so the defense and the other 50+ guys didn't show up." You guys (MS, gumby, buddy) are the obvious ones who continue to put words in peoples mouths unnecessarily. Please try not to imply anything differently when someone is just throwing a compliment out there towards our QB. We mean no offense towards other players and the coaching staff.
    I just got banned for a lot less than this. Be careful my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I love the one disclaimer "when only a TD will do". As you know, its actually easier to move the ball when only a TD will do (or at least both Peyton and Eli agreed it was).
    Ben moved the ball in SB 43 and scored to win as did Montana vs. Cincy. As did Brady twice.
    Not taking away from Eli. He did a great job. But it wasn't just Eli making plays. It was a lot of guys who don't get as much credit as the QB. Like the great blitz pickup by BJ to allow Plaxico the time to get open. Not to mention the great play by Steve Smith to turn a 3 yard pass into a first down.

This entire "Eli did it...Eli did it" as if they both weren't great team efforts is silliness in my humble opinion.
    Comrade Morehead,

We are all aware of you belief that all quarterback are equal, and that you can simple sub out any quarterback at any time and the Proletariat will get the same glorious results. The individual does not matter; only the collective.

Fun fact from Morehead: Montana is just as good as Leif.

And by your massive distortions about Comrade Ben, Comrade Brady and First Secretary Montana I see you used to work for Pravda. Comrade Ben and Comrade Montana both started the drive knowing a FG would send it into overtime. True they scored, but General Eli remains the only one who had to score a TD and did it.
    You simply and completely made up the Brady stuff out of whole cloth. Both time no where near fit the description of what General Eli did (or Comrade Ben and First Secretary Montana).
    I honestly thought you were Gumby there for a second.

And way to twist what the Manning boys said. They didn't say it was easier to score a TD than a FG (something that every school child is taught on the collective).
    They were talking about the mindset going in, not that it was easier to drive 88 yards than it is to drive 50ish. Knowing that you had to score made it easier on you mentally, because you didn't need to do the calculations, you just had to score.

Big, big difference.

It's not that it's silly to say "Eli did it", it's silly to argue that he didn't. I never said it was all Eli, I just said to give him credit for what he factually did and what is recognized world wide as having been done by Eli.

Comrade Morehead...it is you that is rejecting the glorious reality.

Dasvidaniya,

Delicreep
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    Comrade Morehead,

We are all aware of you belief that all quarterback are equal, and that you can simple sub out any quarterback at any time and the Proletariat will get the same glorious results. The individual does not matter; only the collective.

Fun fact from Morehead: Montana is just as good as Leif.

And by your massive distortions about Comrade Ben, Comrade Brady and First Secretary Montana I see you used to work for Pravda. Comrade Ben and Comrade Montana both started the drive knowing a FG would send it into overtime. True they scored, but General Eli remains the only one who had to score a TD and did it.
    You simply and completely made up the Brady stuff out of whole cloth. Both time no where near fit the description of what General Eli did (or Comrade Ben and First Secretary Montana).
    I honestly thought you were Gumby there for a second.

And way to twist what the Manning boys said. They didn't say it was easier to score a TD than a FG (something that every school child is taught on the collective).
    They were talking about the mindset going in, not that it was easier to drive 88 yards than it is to drive 50ish. Knowing that you had to score made it easier on you mentally, because you didn't need to do the calculations, you just had to score.

Big, big difference.

It's not that it's silly to say "Eli did it", it's silly to argue that he didn't. I never said it was all Eli, I just said to give him credit for what he factually did and what is recognized world wide as having been done by Eli.

Comrade Morehead...it is you that is rejecting the glorious reality.

Dasvidaniya,

Delicreep
    Maybe you can refresh my memory.....
    Why is it your view that I think all QB's are the same?

BTW...... you get big time style points from me for a creative post

+ Reply to Thread