+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Joe Flacco the AFC version of Eli Manning?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    How did they get to hold the ball that long?
    They took their time and extended drives. They went for the more time consuming plays than the big strikes downfield for the most part because our defense was in trouble. When it was 17-9 and our defense was huffing and puffing coming off the field, Eli Manning and NY Giants offense took over six minutes off the clock and drove for a field goal giving our defense a much needed rest.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Shutting down the Patrioys was because of the offense? So the. Who's fault is it this year because the offense couldn't score in the red zone and had many 3 and out.
    I have already repeatedly stated that although this was a poor performance by the team all the way around for the most part this past season that the fault i mainly Eli Manning's. He is our leader and star $100 million dollar QB. Unfair as it may sound, he is the one that makes the difference and he is the one that is called upon to make the difference even when the rest of our team is struggling. Not excusing the rest of the teams play but a couple different decisions here and there and we are in playoffs. he doesn't make that throw to Barden at the end of the Philly game is one that sticks out. Granted, our defense as usual was garbage. Our offensive play calling was the worst that it has been in years. However, when it is this close to making the playoffs or not, Eli Manning is the one that needs to step up and make the difference. It is what he has done on the 2 SuperBowl runs. It is what ELIte QBs are supposed to do. It is what Eli Manning is supposed to do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    We'll just add that to the long list of things you have been wrong about.

I hesitate to tell you, since the answer is so team oriented, but the truth is the truth.

What happened in week 17 when they met and why was the SB so different from that game?

The answer...Both defenses made masterful adjustments to the other team.

There is a fantastic clip of a play NE ran in week 17 verses the same exact play in the SB.
    In week 17, Mitchell was in the middle, and when the ball was snapped, he backed into coverage. In front of him was a gaping hole that lead straight to Brady.

In the SB, NE ran the same play. Mitchell took two steps back, and when the same exact hole opened up, he went right after Brady. BOOM

NE made adjustments also...and by NE, I mean Bill B, the defensive play caller. NE's plan, as it always is, was to take away the biggest threat--in this case, it was Eli.

Both defenses did great jobs, and I will easily and completely agree that the Jints did better job...a much better job.

But...in the end, Brady was Brady, and late in the 4th, he drove down on that great D and scored. No shame in that. No fault in that. It felt like destiny to me.

Then Eli needed to do something that had never been done before, and he needed to do it against a team that had not lost a game all season.
    And did they ever bring the heat! They mixed up the coverage. They were making plays.

But it wasn't enough.

Eli kept his cool and became the only QB to make that drive to score a game winning TD when only a TD would do it.

See how I credited both the Giants D and the NE D? The haters just credit the Giants D without remembering how Eli tore into in week 17 and how one of the best defensive football minds came up short in his plan to stop him.

PS...Don't throw the helmet catch/luck thing out at me...it will just end poorly for you.
    +1

If I tell you you don't want to bring up the 2007 SB because it actually helps the pro Eli case, would you believe me?
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    I'm feeling telepathic. You will say that Eli kept potent New England offense off the field by eating up clock.

I hesitate to tell you, since the answer is so team oriented, but the truth is the truth.

What happened in week 17 when they met and why was the SB so different from that game?

There is a fantastic clip of a play NE ran in week 17 verses the same exact play in the SB.
    In week 17, Mitchell was in the middle, and when the ball was snapped, he backed into coverage. In front of him was a gaping hole that lead straight to Brady.

In the SB, NE ran the same play. Mitchell took two steps back, and when the same exact hole opened up, he went right after Brady. BOOM

NE made adjustments also...and by NE, I mean Bill B, the defensive play caller. NE's plan, as it always is, was to take away the biggest threat--in this case, it was Eli.

Both defenses did great jobs, and I will easily and completely agree that the Jints did better job...a much better job.

But...in the end, Brady was Brady, and late in the 4th, he drove down on that great D and scored. No shame in that. No fault in that. It felt like destiny to me.

Then Eli needed to do something that had never been done before, and he needed to do it against a team that had not lost a game all season.
    And did they ever bring the heat! They mixed up the coverage. They were making plays.

But it wasn't enough.

Eli kept his cool and became the only QB to make that drive to score a game winning TD when only a TD would do it.

See how I credited both the Giants D and the NE D? The haters just credit the Giants D without remembering how Eli tore into in week 17 and how one of the best defensive football minds came up short in his plan to stop him.

PS...Don't throw the helmet catch/luck thing out at me...it will just end poorly for you.
    I'll ask you again, what have I been wrong about?

As for the rest, where is all this coming from? Why are we even talking about blame or credit to begin with? My comment was strictly tongue-in-cheek.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but you're taking this way too seriously and making mountains out of molehills. Or are you mixing up posts by different posters. But either way, I really don't care why we won the SB. Just that we did win.

I'm a Giants fan. I have 0 emotional attachment to Eli, Cruz, JPP, or any of the players when it comes to the team. Ultimately, I treat everyone the same - as pawn pieces. Nothing more. Nothing less. I love Cruz to pieces, but the minute he asks for some ridiculous contract (if it happens), I'd be more than happy to show him the door if it is in teh best interest of the team.

Edit: And your assessment of the SB? I completely agree with you. Football is a team game. As for the helmet catch thing, I'm curious to know what you would have said. And just for fun, I'll say this. The entire play was ridiculous. Great plays by Tyree and Eli. Did that play and the drive win us the game? Probably and Absolutely. But was it the main reason why we won? No.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    +1
    I love the one disclaimer "when only a TD will do". As you know, its actually easier to move the ball when only a TD will do (or at least both Peyton and Eli agreed it was).
    Ben moved the ball in SB 43 and scored to win as did Montana vs. Cincy. As did Brady twice.
    Not taking away from Eli. He did a great job. But it wasn't just Eli making plays. It was a lot of guys who don't get as much credit as the QB. Like the great blitz pickup by BJ to allow Plaxico the time to get open. Not to mention the great play by Steve Smith to turn a 3 yard pass into a first down.

This entire "Eli did it...Eli did it" as if they both weren't great team efforts is silliness in my humble opinion.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I love the one disclaimer "when only a TD will do". As you know, its actually easier to move the ball when only a TD will do (or at least both Peyton and Eli agreed it was).
    Ben moved the ball in SB 43 and scored to win as did Montana vs. Cincy. As did Brady twice.
    Not taking away from Eli. He did a great job. But it wasn't just Eli making plays. It was a lot of guys who don't get as much credit as the QB. Like the great blitz pickup by BJ to allow Plaxico the time to get open. Not to mention the great play by Steve Smith to turn a 3 yard pass into a first down.

This entire "Eli did it...Eli did it" as if they both weren't great team efforts is silliness in my humble opinion.
    However, Eli Manning is THE MAIN reason. You know this but refuse to admit it, VDC.

However, Eli Manning is THE MAIN reason. You know this but refuse to admit it, VDC.
    He was the most important factor in our win last season.
    2007 was a championship won primarily by the defense.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

No. However, Eli Manning and NY Giants offense controlling ball for almost 38 minutes was The Best defense in SuperBowl XLVI.
    he will never grasp that. or in sb 42, how we essentially turned it into a 3 quarter game with us starting up by 3 points with that record longest time opening drive...and i love how buddy always tries talking up our d to knock eli down a few pegs all the while completely ignoring the FACT that in the sb 42 yr, NE had the better defense. in sb 42, eli was hit almost as much as brady...

But it wasn't enough.

from where i stand, its ended poorly for him every point/counter point you've made

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    Some people don't think Eli is in the same class as Flacco but more like Brady lol. But I agree with you Flacco has played great this year.
    I agree, but Baltimore fans kill the guy even when he is playing well. I hear the complaints about this guy all year round on Baltimore sports radio stations.
    "In Reese, We No Longer Trust"

+ Reply to Thread