+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 182
  1. #71
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    Eli Manning is the QB with the most passing yards in a single postseason (1,219 yards in 2011)

    So if I understand your post above, the fact that it's a team game means that all QB's are equal, and I assume at all times as well?

    Is that what you are saying; that top flight play is irrelevant and Brady and Tebow are equals?

    'Cause I am saying something different.
    Well I'm not sure how you get from "its a team game" that "all QB's are the same".
    My point is that ELI didn't win a SB. The GIANTS won those SB's.

    Now everyone knows me as a huge Phil Simms fan, but I would never say that Phil (as an individual) won a SB. The 86 Giants did and Phil was the QB.

    I just don't look at individual accomplishments the same way you do I guess. I mean "passing yards in a playoff" is less than irrelevant to me. I see that those kinds of things are important to you. Those "stats" only mean something as they are needed to win games. Its the win that matters.
    Coaches and players really don't care about those things. (at least not the ones that matter) I promise you, "yards in a playoff is not only irrelevant to me, its also irrelevant to Eli.
    Last edited by Morehead State; 01-22-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  2. #72
    All-Pro Delicreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    By the way. At one time mark Sanchez was playing the steelers in Pittsburgh not so long ago (2010) in the AFCCG for the right (at the time) to have a record setting 5th Road Playoff win. He came into that game having 4 with wins at NE and Indy over Brady and Peyton. There were quite a few top notch former QBs all tied at 4 RD playoff victories. For Sanchez we all know the ending. He didnt get that 5th Road playoff win that night and his career has been on a study decline ever since.
    That road win thing is the weirdest thing: If I didn't know that Eli had it until this year, I would have never guessed it. Seems just wrong.
    This space for rent

  3. #73
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,371
    People still throwing around that elite label. Lol. There is like one elite QB in the league right now, some better than average, and a bunch are good.

  4. #74
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    Is your point that the Eli's record playoff performance, a performance never before equaled by any QB in the league ever, has some relevant connection to a 2 game streak featuring a 40% completion percentage and two touchdowns (although the one against the Steelers was epic).

    Care to tell the class in detail why the compare?
    No. But your characterization of Eli's play in the playoffs is WAY overstated. His play last year in the playoffs was very good, but hardly the greatest of all time. Its not like we went out and scored a ton of points. As a matter of fact, our offense with Eli as our QB has only scored more than 24 points once in the playoffs.
    That's hardly "unmatched" in NFL history.
    "Moving the ball between the 20's".. isn't hard in today's NFL.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  5. #75
    All-Pro Delicreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well I'm not sure how you go from "its a team game" to "all QB's are the same".
    My point is that ELI didn't win a SB. The GIANTS won those SB's.

    Now everyone knows me as a huge Phil Simms fan, but I would never say that Phil (as an individual) won a SB. The 86 Giants did and Phil was the QB.

    I just don't look at individual accomplishments the same way you do I guess. I mean "passing yards in a playoff" is less than irrelevant to me. I see that those kinds of things are important to you. Those "stats" only mean something as they are needed to win games. Its the win that matters.
    Coaches and players really don't care about those things. (at least not the ones that matter) I promise you, "yards in a playoff is not only irrelevant to me, its also irrelevant to Eli.
    Those passing yards were irrelevant? I promise we needed every one of 'em to win in SF and to win the SB.

    Care to argue that?

    Let me help you...you don't. There is no arguing it. We won because of those yards. And in SF, we won because Eli was able to take a horrific beating and still make those throws.

    in 2007, Eli set an odd SB record in the 4th quarter...do you know what it is?
    This space for rent

  6. #76
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    No. But your characterization of Eli's play in the playoffs is WAY overstated. His play last year in the playoffs was very good, but hardly the greatest of all time. Its not like we went out and scored a ton of points. As a matter of fact, our offense with Eli as our QB has only scored more than 24 points once in the playoffs.That's hardly "unmatched" in NFL history."Moving the ball between the 20's".. isn't hard in today's NFL.
    This may be true but that beating he took in the 49ers game was impressive.

  7. #77
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    This may be true but that beating he took in the 49ers game was impressive.
    I thought Eli played very well in all 4 games.
    I just resist looking at a stat like "yards in a single postseason" and drawing some grandiose conclusion from that.
    I mean Joe Flacco will probably beat that this year. What does that tell you?
    First of all it tells me that we didn't earn a first round bye.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #78
    All-Pro Delicreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    No. But your characterization of Eli's play in the playoffs is WAY overstated. His play last year in the playoffs was very good, but hardly the greatest of all time. Its not like we went out and scored a ton of points. As a matter of fact, our offense with Eli as our QB has only scored more than 24 points once in the playoffs.
    That's hardly "unmatched" in NFL history.
    "Moving the ball between the 20's".. isn't hard in today's NFL.
    Yeah...I think the point was to tell me why they compare...you got a timetable for that or should I assume you will just say stats don't matter.
    This space for rent

  9. #79
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I thought Eli played very well in all 4 games.I just resist looking at a stat like "yards in a single postseason" and drawing some grandiose conclusion from that.I mean Joe Flacco will probably beat that this year. What does that tell you?First of all it tells me that we didn't earn a first round bye.
    Yeah stats are not always the way to go. If they where people would never call Eli elite.

  10. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    Those passing yards were irrelevant? I promise we needed every one of 'em to win in SF and to win the SB.

    Care to argue that?

    Let me help you...you don't. There is no arguing it. We won because of those yards. And in SF, we won because Eli was able to take a horrific beating and still make those throws.

    in 2007, Eli set an odd SB record in the 4th quarter...do you know what it is?
    and hes not even telling the truth in the post u quoted. like a month ago there was a thread that got turned into a simms discussion and MS was pulling stats and saying verbatim "Simms beat Marino, Montana, Elway..." and talking about how Simms won the SB with his performance...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts