+ Reply to Thread

Time For Belickick To Move On?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50536233/ns/sports-nfl/

Excerpt: "Maybe Bill Belichick should become the next Andy Reid.

You know, an excellent NFL head coach who has outlived his usefulness with the same franchise and understands that it’s time to move on.

Belichick earned three Super Bowl rings while serving as head coach of the New England Patriots, but none since the Spygate scandal broke in September 2007. Maybe it’s coincidence or bad luck that Belichick hasn’t won another world championship since then. Maybe it isn’t." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

INteresting article.

I think the problem with Belichick since the 2007008 team is that he has ignored his defense. And that's ironic coming from a coach whose defensive schemes helped the Giants win 2 Super Bowls and have one of his game plans (Super Bowl 25) in the Hall of Fame. Since 2007-08 name a defensive player on the Patriots that actually puts fear in the hearts of other teams OC's and offensive players? Wilfork is the only player and he was there before 2007.

Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Teddy Bruschi, Richard Seymour. Those players were forces to be reckon with. They don't have any impact players on defense and Belichick of all people have rested on his laurels on that side of the ball.

I can't imagine him ever leaving The Patriots
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Agreed. I think he will be in NE for a long time. They will have to rip the whistle and clipboard out of his cold dead hands before he steps down.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Depends a change of scenery may be necessary at some point. There should be an opening with the Giants 2 years from now when Tom Coughlin is ready to call it a day.

I said in another thread that the way he handled himself in that tour of the old Giants Stadium before it was torn down it seems to me that if the situation presented it self and timing was right he may want to finish out his career where he started it. In NY with Big Blue
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I think the problem with Belichick since the 2007008 team is that he has ignored his defense. And that's ironic coming from a coach whose defensive schemes helped the Giants win 2 Super Bowls and have one of his game plans (Super Bowl 25) in the Hall of Fame. Since 2007-08 name a defensive player on the Patriots that actually puts fear in the hearts of other teams OC's and offensive players? Wilfork is the only player and he was there before 2007.

Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Teddy Bruschi, Richard Seymour. Those players were forces to be reckon with. They don't have any impact players on defense and Belichick of all people have rested on his laurels on that side of the ball.
    This is my thinking, too. 2007 was the year when he really "unleashed" Brady. Prior, his offense was more predicated on taking what the defense gave you. From 2007 on, they've tried to take what they want.

He hasn't won anything since adopting this philosophy; the Pats tear teams apart in the regular season, but come playoff time, they struggle to stop anyone. Defense does win championships, and it's an area in which the Patriots struggle.
    I think the timing of Spygate was only a coincidence.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 01-21-2013 at 10:28 PM.