Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Eli Manning age 32

I know its been kicked around, but how many more productive years can we expect from Eli and when, if not this year, had we better draft a top QB to groom? As of now, we have no one like a lot of teams ( San Fran ) that have QB's that can step in!
    Giants fan since '58

I would say around 5 or so more years.

Problem is to find starting QBs they need to be drafted early, usually 1st round.

Can the giants afford to spend a 1st round pick to get a guy to backup Eli?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post

Problem is to find starting QBs they need to be drafted early, usually 1st round.

too early to draft a QB right now imo

It is a bit too early to do that now as cloud57 said. But when the time comes, it's definitely affordable with the rookie wage cap. Not only is it an investment in the backup QB position, but it's also to start training and preparing for the future after Eli. I'm thinking Marcus Mariota.

I think any pocket passer can play into their 40s. Especially with the new rules protecting them. If Eli stays the same productivity wise, he won't be going anywhere for a very long time. 32 is nothing, he's a strapping young lad.

QB's have primes that vary so often, its hard to say? I mean, not every good QB has a HOF type long career at there peak.. Look at Phillip Rivers, Jim Everett, Jake Delhomme, Steve McNair, Jeff Garcia, Daunte Culpepper, Bernie Kosar, just for starters.. I mean, its hard to tell if ELI is gonna be one of those 36yr old studs, or a guy who just started his decline this past season.. Its not easy to fall into the Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning type echelon of guys who are super productive right into there mid to late 30's.. Thats what seperates the ALL TIME GREATS from the very good NFL QB's...

From reading the posts, fans seem to think he's good for another 5 or 6 years either with us or some other team. I guess it depends on how soon we need to rebuild. To be able to draft high for a QB, I guess we will have to finish with a losing record.
    Giants fan since '58

5 years is a lot to expect. I think we could get 3 more good years for sure after that who knows

I agree.....about 5 years. And since Eli is more of a thinking man's QB, I wouldn't be suprised if he could tack on another year or two.

In the next couple years, the Giants should be looking at a new QB to draft and bench for a season or two.....kind of how Green Bay groomed Aaron Rodgers.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

I'd say 5 more as well, but there are good QB's to be found out there in the 2 - 7 rounds when it's time to start thinking about another QB. If they see another Kaepernick out there in the 2nd round, I wouldn't mind drafting and developing in another 2 or 3 years.
    Last edited by JJC7301; 01-22-2013 at 02:27 PM.