+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The NY Giants 2000 season

All-Pro
    Total failure since we looked totally unprepared in that game.

We beat up a very good Viking team and the Ravens should not have beaten the Titans. We were badly outplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    Maybe I came off too harsh. They're good and worth remembering but on a 2nd, lower tier than championships. The Moral Victory shelf.
    Obviously, it's on a second tier from actually winning it all. But the season to me is a success when my team is in it until the last possible game. How bad does this season feel that we couldnt even enjoy the post season. At least that year we had the extra month of Giants football. But, you are right not winning it was devestating, but I'd still rather be there every year than have to watch the post season from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Markroman View Post
    Total failure since we looked totally unprepared in that game.

We beat up a very good Viking team and the Ravens should not have beaten the Titans. We were badly outplayed.
    We were not "ill-prepared" at all. We were simply outmanned.
    The Raven defense created huge matchup problems for us. We were a very finesse oriented O line against one of the most physical defenses of all time.
    It just came down to that.
    We simply didn't match up well at all in that game.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    We were not "ill-prepared" at all. We were simply outmanned.
    The Raven defense created huge matchup problems for us. We were a very finesse oriented O line against one of the most physical defenses of all time.
    It just came down to that.
    We simply didn't match up well at all in that game.
    Numerous insiders who spoke about that game criticized our preparation, including Ernie Accorsi.

Collins' 4 INTs in that game against the Ravens defense probably had something to do with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Collins' 4 INTs in that game against the Ravens defense probably had something to do with it too.
    I know one of the O linemen on that team. he told me the first time Kerry Collins got hit his eyes were as big as saucers in the huddle, and they knew they were in trouble.
    Now KC was a tough guy and I loved him as a Giant, but he did get rattled sometimes.

To me ..the notion that we were ill prepared is misguided. They were just better than us. No amount of preparation was going to change that. It wasn't that they were faster and more skilled. It was that they were bigger and stronger.

Banned
    My daughter was born that year. The Giants lost the Superbowl in embarrassing fashion but I still enjoyed my 2001. I had my jersey on in the delivery room. Anyway, I loved that season... we were 7-4 and Fassel made the guarantee. We played some great games, Sehorn had a miraculous int, we routed the Vikings and we were one of the last two teams standing. We lost in a game that didn't seem like a SB but what the heck... nobody was gonna beat the Ravens that year. I was just happy that NO knocked off St Louis and the Vikings knocked them out because the Rams would've been a problem. Come to think of it... Baltimore vs the Greatest Show on Turf would've been a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I know one of the O linemen on that team. he told me the first time Kerry Collins got hit his eyes were as big as saucers in the huddle, and they knew they were in trouble.
    Now KC was a tough guy and I loved him as a Giant, but he did get rattled sometimes.

To me ..the notion that we were ill prepared is misguided. They were just better than us. No amount of preparation was going to change that. It wasn't that they were faster and more skilled. It was that they were bigger and stronger.
    I remember watching some of Tiki's early runs and thinking it wasn't going to be a good day.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    When you think back on that season, what are your thoughts?

Do you see the season as a success since we made it to the Super Bowl? Or, since we got our butts kicked you see it as a failure.

Me, I take no pleasure in that season, despite the playoff ride and truly fantastic championship game.
    naw im with you i didnt consider 2000 a success at all!

maybe if we were a team on the rise one without a superbowl win that might be an accomplishment.

but getting there and losing! that sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    naw im with you i didnt consider 2000 a success at all!

maybe if we were a team on the rise one without a superbowl win that might be an accomplishment.

but getting there and losing! that sucks!
    Would you have rather seen us lose to Philly or Minn. in the playoffs?

I don't get it. Since the merger, we've won 5 NFC championships. That year was one of them.

+ Reply to Thread