+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The NY Giants 2000 season

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I know one of the O linemen on that team. he told me the first time Kerry Collins got hit his eyes were as big as saucers in the huddle, and they knew they were in trouble.
    Now KC was a tough guy and I loved him as a Giant, but he did get rattled sometimes.

To me ..the notion that we were ill prepared is misguided. They were just better than us. No amount of preparation was going to change that. It wasn't that they were faster and more skilled. It was that they were bigger and stronger.
    That game was definitely winnable. Dilfer was their QB for crying out loud.

Fassel **** the bed on his game plan and preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post

All games are winnable.

But with KC being off, we weren't going to win THAT one.

Banned
    I know one of the O linemen on that team. he told me the first time Kerry Collins got hit his eyes were as big as saucers in the huddle, and they knew they were in trouble.
    Now KC was a tough guy and I loved him as a Giant, but he did get rattled sometimes.

To me ..the notion that we were ill prepared is misguided. They were just better than us. No amount of preparation was going to change that. It wasn't that they were faster and more skilled. It was that they were bigger and stronger.
    We were not ill prepared. We lost to a better team.We didnít stand much of a chance in that game. They were a better team than we were, it happens.
    I am proud of 2000 NY Giants team for getting to SuperBowl.

If I am not mistaken, I think Baltimore Ravens defense jumped off sides to start the game just to rattle KC.

What specifically didn't he prepare for? What were the errors he made.
    Since you are so emphatic about this....please be specific.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

What specifically didn't he prepare for? What were the errors he made.
    Since you are so emphatic about this....please be specific.
    Toomer is on record as saying that Fassel coached scared of the Ravens defense and that the game plan was the "worst he had ever been a part of".

Accorsi is on record as saying that he never felt good about the preparation for that game because it was too "light-hearted" for him. He felt that the Giants team didn't have the intensity to win the game because they were just happy to be there.

Toomer is on record as saying that Fassel coached scared of the Ravens defense and that the game plan was the "worst he had ever been a part of".

Accorsi is on record as saying that he never felt good about the preparation for that game because it was too "light-hearted" for him. He felt that the Giants team didn't have the intensity to win the game because they were just happy to be there.
    Again...what specific failings in the preparations are you talking about.

And BTW....coaching "scared" of that defense was a very smart thing.

You should ask Accorsi or Toomer.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A96E9C8B63

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...ants-1.2662593

Yes, coaching scared worked out very well for us.

Toomer didnt offer any specifics in the radio interview I heard, he only mentioned that Fassel went in with a different gameplan, different from what got them there. For that reason alone he has regrets because they were never given the chance to play "their" football and match up to the Ravens with their strengths. The only specifics he went into was that the loss was on Fassel and the coaching staff.
    Last few avatars: Nicks, Bradshaw, Jacobs - who's the next future ex-Giant

You should ask Accorsi or Toomer.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A96E9C8B63

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...ants-1.2662593

Yes, coaching scared worked out very well for us.
    Both these articles are definitely checks on your side of the ledger. And they definitely give me pause regarding my position. But I will say that no gameplan was going to be enough to win that game. That defense was way to physical for us and our finesse O line. We had three guys near the end of their careers who had no chance against those guys.

So, while you have made valid points, I would still maintain my view that we essentially had no chance to win that game (barring a crap load of huge breaks going our way)

Both these articles are definitely checks on your side of the ledger. And they definitely give me pause regarding my position. But I will say that no gameplan was going to be enough to win that game. That defense was way to physical for us and our finesse O line. We had three guys near the end of their careers who had no chance against those guys.

So, while you have made valid points, I would still maintain my view that we essentially had no chance to win that game (barring a crap load of huge breaks going our way)
    I don't know if we ever would have won the game if we had a good plan, but I heard Accorsi on the radio with Colin Cowherd and he sounded downright angry about the preparation and coaching leading up to that game. He said something like (I am paraphrasing here) even after speaking with Fassel about the game years later he still wasn't sure that Fassel had any plan at all to attack the Ravens defense.

+ Reply to Thread