+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The NY Giants 2000 season

Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    I try my best to remember the positives from every season and not dwell so much on the negative, but...it's damn hard to remember the positives when there is a monstrous thing like a SB thrashing to jump out at you.

So put me in the "no" column.
    2000 was a great season.
    In order to be routed in the SB you have to win an NFC championship. Which we did in historic fashion. The reality is that we weren't physical enough for the Ravens defense. But I'm not taking anything away from our team. A team that was fun to watch.

It was a great season.
    Lifetime member of the "specific element" and proud of it.

Veteran
    I enjoyed the season for the most part. That NFC championship game vs the Vikings might have been all around the best game this franchise has ever played. Unfortunately the SB was pretty bad. I have seen bits and pieces of the game again...I don't think we would have won. ...even with the bad calls. Our offense was Dave Brownesque that game.

Thunder (Ron Dayne) and Lightning (Tiki Barber) RB combo, Jim Fassel's Guarantee... etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Did he? I did not know that was a proven fact.

I've always despised the Niners and their fans since the early 80's. I see no reason to stop now.
    I have mixed feelings about Lewis. I wasn't in the car or at the scene. I do believe Lewis knows what happened and has never told it. So - I respect what he does on the field and try to confine my thoughts about him to what I see on the screen during the game.

As for 2000 - I was glad to see Kerry C recharge his career. I always admire folks who have been down and get back up (well, most folks, anyway). 12 wins and closing out the season with that winning streak made for a good season. A SB win is always the ultimate icing, but the cake underneath can be good too.

The 2000 season was absolutely a successful one. The ULTIMATE success? No. A hell of a ride and a whole lot of fun? Yes! Behind the last couple SB victories, "41-0" is probably my next favorite Giants memory!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    When you think back on that season, what are your thoughts?

Do you see the season as a success since we made it to the Super Bowl? Or, since we got our butts kicked you see it as a failure.

Me, I take no pleasure in that season, despite the playoff ride and truly fantastic championship game.
    Of course we were all dissapointed in losing SuperBowl but doggone it, that was a successful season. We made it to SuperBowl and as Tom Brady says, “it really hurts to lose SuperBowl but it is better to go and lose than to not go at all."

I was really proud of our team for making it there that year although we fell short.

Only championship seasons count. What are we, the Philadelphia Eagles? Moral victories are on a lower plane than championships.

2000 was a good season but it was utterly smashed into bits by the 35-7 Super Bowl loss. I'd like to say it would have been better if they put up a fight, but then again ask the 1990 Bills if their season was a success after a 1 point loss on a missed field goal. Is it really better to go and lose than to not go at all?

And this franchise has seen its share of championship losses. 14, to be specific.

It's a mark of being consistently good to get there so often, but simultaneously a mark of shame that they failed once there. Can anybody truly say they feel good about 14 championship losses?
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 01-23-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    Only championship seasons count. What are we, the Philadelphia Eagles? Moral victories are on a lower plane than championships.

2000 was a good season but it was utterly smashed into bits by the 35-7 Super Bowl loss. I'd like to say it would have been better if they put up a fight, but then again ask the 1990 Bills if their season was a success after a 1 point loss on a missed field goal. Is it really better to go and lose than to not go at all?

And this franchise has seen its share of championship losses. 14, to be specific.

It's a mark of being consistently good to get there so often, but simultaneously a mark of shame that they failed once there. Can anybody truly say they feel good about 14 championship losses?
    Oh come on. One of my greatest moments as a Giants fan was Joe Danelo's FG against the Cowboys in 1981. And then our beating the Eagles the next week in the playoffs. Guess what....we didn't win the SB that year.
    To say that "only championship seasons count" is the view of a spoiled fan.
    I've seen 4 SB wins. Are you saying that only 8% of the seasons I've seen as a fan counted?
    Lifetime member of the "specific element" and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Oh come on. One of my greatest moments as a Giants fan was Joe Danelo's FG against the Cowboys in 1981. And then our beating the Eagles the next week in the playoffs. Guess what....we didn't win the SB that year.To say that "only championship seasons count" is the view of a spoiled fan.I've seen 4 SB wins. Are you saying that only 8% of the seasons I've seen as a fan counted?
    Maybe I came off too harsh. They're good and worth remembering but on a 2nd, lower tier than championships. The Moral Victory shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    Of course we were all dissapointed in losing SuperBowl but doggone it, that was a successful season. We made it to SuperBowl and as Tom Brady says, “it really hurts to lose SuperBowl but it is better to go and lose than to not go at all."

I was really proud of our team for making it there that year although we fell short.
    It's the way we lost that game that makes it so forgettable. Too bad we weren't able to put up more of a fight.
    “One player can’t control the outcome of a whole season or a certain game.” - Eli Manning

+ Reply to Thread