+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Why do we play so much zone?

Do we not have the players to play man to man defense?
    Do we only play man when we can get pressure on the Quarterback?

Also, does anybody know specifically how much zone defense we played this year?

Please support.
    Get well soon #80.

They have always played a lot of zone. Spags called a ton of it

As to why they play so much zone. Well that is what fewel has always called.

And it's not a negative. Especially with how many running QBs there are now. You really can't play man against them.

i think we played more of it this season bc the DL wasnt getting home. If the DL is generating consistent pressure, you can play more man. When the QB isnt getting pressured, you cant expect the corners to hold up coverage 4 seconds or more really, especially Webster this past season at least. I also think bc of who we could field at LB, our more athletic guys were hampered all season, PF might not have been comfortable depending on them tracking the athletic TE's and RB's we faced downfield...theres a ton of reasons...'

btw, rudy, this is a good question. and notice how theres like 2 replies? dont u find it funny, ironic, hypocritical how theres certain posters who complain that eli gets all this attention and its on "homers" minds non stop, meanwhile theyre creating eli threads to pick at and instigate banter?? i dunno i just find it funny at least...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post

btw, rudy, this is a good question. and notice how theres like 2 replies? dont u find it funny, ironic, hypocritical how theres certain posters who complain that eli gets all this attention and its on "homers" minds non stop, meanwhile theyre creating eli threads to pick at and instigate banter?? i dunno i just find it funny at least...
    Well, I think some of the lack of response is because a lot of people just don't know the answer and/or aren't strong enough in the X's and O's to give an informed opinion on why we run so much zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Well, I think some of the lack of response is because a lot of people just don't know the answer and/or aren't strong enough in the X's and O's to give an informed opinion on why we run so much zone.
    This is also true.

Please support.
    Get well soon #80.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i think we played more of it this season bc the DL wasnt getting home. If the DL is generating consistent pressure, you can play more man. When the QB isnt getting pressured, you cant expect the corners to hold up coverage 4 seconds or more really, especially Webster this past season at least. I also think bc of who we could field at LB, our more athletic guys were hampered all season, PF might not have been comfortable depending on them tracking the athletic TE's and RB's we faced downfield...theres a ton of reasons...'

Yes I do find it funny, it is what it is. They know who they are.

Anyway, I find it interesting that under Spags we were this powerhouse defense. Maybe it's because he had better players under his belt.

Please support.
    Get well soon #80.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post

Anyway, I find it interesting that under Spags we were this powerhouse defense. Maybe it's because he had better players under his belt.
    We had a great pass rush in '07 that petered out at the end of '08, though, we did play excellent defense for most of '08.

I just think that Spags' defenses were kind of a perfect storm of personnel that fit great and players that truly got his scheme. I really would have been interested in seeing if he could have had continued success or if he was just a two year wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post

while slip is right when he says spags used a lot of zone, spags used a lot more fire zone schemes. a lot more OLB or MLB or DB's or sometimes a combo of 2 were coming on blitzes. and instead of just blitzing out of man which is often done, Spags designed zone coverages to compensate for the blitzing defender that otherwise would be in coverage. PLUS, we also had strahan, osi, and a hungry young Tuck with Kiwi all getting after the QB pretty relentlessly...

people forget bc (and i dont blame them either) of the last two putrid defensive seasons, but in 2010, when we had the pass rush and were somewhat healthy, PF's defense was like top 10 across the board and top 5 in many areas...its hard to get the most out of ur scheme when ur getting pivotal injuries and lack of pressure, but that doesnt absolve PF from failing to make the necessary adjustments. Just in terms of the zones, in 2010, they worked much better bc the DL. and the postseason in 2011, as well, zone worked much better bc of the DL getting pressure...

football is perhaps the best example of the necessity of so many different parts and aspects/units coming together and playing as 1 (in terms of personnel and scheme). when one of those aspects isnt working, it can create a domino effect that causes every other unit to struggle, sheerly bc of those units dependency on the failed aspect to actually work. (sorry i know that was confusing lol)

edit-meaning, for example, while the DL, LB, and DB's are all seperate units individual of another, if one of those units struggles, it leads to the other units struggling as well even tho they're independent (did i just make it more confusing lol)
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 01-22-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Banned
    I don't know if this has been said yet but with Vick(possibly), RG3 and Tony Romo in our division zone defense is a good thing because in zone the CBs eyes are looking at the QB where in man the CB will have his back to the QB(makes it more difficult for a QB to be able to run and pickup huge chunks of yardage).

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    I don't know if this has been said yet but with Vick(possibly), RG3 and Tony Romo in our division zone defense is a good thing because in zone the CBs eyes are looking at the QB where in man the CB will have his back to the QB(makes it more difficult for a QB to be able to run and pickup huge chunks of yardage).
    excellent point shaneandbake...so true...