+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Why do we play so much zone?

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    I don't think they would play less zone if the pass rush was more affective.....but I do think this zone would be a hell of a lot more affective if the pass rush was relentless

...and in my personal opinion LB is the second or 3rd need on this teams list behind O line ........CB and LB being tied for second possibly

you will see a huge difference in this defense with some more athletic LBs
    agreed.. Not to mention, LB's that actually can make plays on the ball..

When did we stop drafting LBers early? and why?
    Heard Reese isn't too big on LBers.

MUCH better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    well banks was the last one i can remember in 84 i think...we've gotten quality LB play over that span but I cant recall how highly we invested the picks ex. Armstead...iirc he was a 6th round pick, coulda been an 8th even back when the draft was longer. but LT was in 80, Banks 84 iirc i could be off...i havent hit my "wrong" quota for the day so be warned

and i dunno if JR isnt big on LB's, I think he just values it less than other positions, like significantly less. If u think about it, itd almost require more time and attention trying to hit on a LB in the 6th round than the 1rst or 2nd ya know what I mean...its not like he isnt investing time into the LBs, just in our system, JR is cognizant of the value in relation to the defensive scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Well, the thing is, u can go stretches in drafts where there simply is a better player at a certain positon, and also u can sign LB's via FA'cy, and then when a LB falls to the value at a certain round of draft for you, u think u don't need LB anymore, and then the FA u picked up ends up not being the player u thought, and then the whole thing starts again, with LB just not being of good value for sometime when ur picking..etc

We've picked up guys like Mike Barrow, Antonio Pierce, Mike Boley, Carlos Emmons, Barrett Green in FA'cy over the yrs, and had moderate success filling in with other picks in mid to late rds like Brandon Short, Dhani Jones, Jaquain Williams, just 2 name a few, which all changes the landscape of what u do in the draft at the positon..

I would say now more then ever, its seemed like the LB core if as bare, and not as potentially solid a unit as its been in some time.. even when guys like Barrett Green were busting for us, u still gotta give him his chance to proove hes a bust, and stuff like that.. For all we know, the GIANTS can go grab a couple FA's at the LB positon, and then we have a sick LB fall to us in a certain round, but we think we fixed the problem, and pass on em to fix other positons, and then u just wait and see, and it seems were ignoring hte positon in draft, but in reality, the thought process is we fixed it via FA'cy..
    Last edited by nycsportzfan; 01-22-2013 at 10:06 PM.

not sure why either ,zone seems to be more of a detriment to the D rather than a help more times than not. guys seem to always be too far off the ball, receivers running wide open all the time. I like my corners to be physical at the line, jam the receiver, disrupt his route and the timing with the QB all together. I dunno, maybe it's just me,,I played corner from pop warner through HS and that's how we were taught to play. I guess our coach's weren't a zone guys.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Well, the thing is, u can go stretches in drafts where there simply is a better player at a certain positon, and also u can sign LB's via FA'cy, and then when a LB falls to the value at a certain round of draft for you, u think u don't need LB anymore, and then the FA u picked up ends up not being the player u thought, and then the whole thing starts again, with LB just not being of good value for sometime when ur picking..etc

We've picked up guys like Mike Barrow, Antonio Pierce, Mike Boley, Carlos Emmons, Barrett Green in FA'cy over the yrs, and had moderate success filling in with other picks in mid to late rds like Brandon Short, Dhani Jones, Jaquain Williams, just 2 name a few, which all changes the landscape of what u do in the draft at the positon..
    I understand that but we passed on the likes of navarro bowman, sean witherspoon and sean lee.

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    I understand that but we passed on the likes of navarro bowman, sean witherspoon and sean lee.
    And got JPP and Linval Joseph instead.

Bowman every team in the league passed on at least twice. Lets not pretend he was a surefire all-pro.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    And got JPP and Linval Joseph instead.

Bowman every team in the league passed on at least twice. Lets not pretend he was a surefire all-pro.
    lets not pretend that he didnt have skills,,and from penn state to boot,,how many backers have panned out from there compared to the ones who didnt? I am in pa,,penn state is LB country.
    Last edited by ELI_HOF_NYG; 01-22-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    lets not pretend that he didnt have skills,,and from penn state to boot,,how many backers have panned out from there compared to the ones who didnt? I am pa,,penn state is LB country.
    You cant draft in hindsight. No team saw him as a certain all-pro. If they had they would have drafted him in the first, not at the end of the 3rd.

I could give a crap if he was from Penn State, I look at players, not schools.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    You cant draft in hindsight. No team saw him as a certain all-pro. If they had they would have drafted him in the first, not in the middle of the 3rd.
    you can say the same about JPP, it was a gamble that we were lucky that paid off,,,,,he did not do much this year so next year will be very telling.

+ Reply to Thread