+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    You cant draft in hindsight. No team saw him as a certain all-pro. If they had they would have drafted him in the first, not at the end of the 3rd.I could give a crap if he was from Penn State, I look at players, not schools.
    Yeah, and the two guys he took are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    you can say the same about JPP, it was a gamble that we were lucky that paid off,,,,,he did not do much this year so next year will be very telling.
    I dont understand what you are saying.

Giants thought JPP and Linval Joseph and Chad Jones were all better players coming out.

Not a team in the league thought Bowman was better than a late 3rd round pick.

you can say the same about JPP, it was a gamble that we were lucky that paid off,,,,,he did not do much this year so next year will be very telling.
    If you didn't think JPP did much this year, then you need to relearn how to watch football. His sack numbers were down, but he was still a disruptive force and one of the best run stopping DEs in the NFL.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I dont understand what you are saying. Giants thought JPP and Linval Joseph and Chad Jones were all better players coming out. Not a team in the league thought Bowman was better than a late 3rd round pick.
    Think what could have been had Jones been playing today?

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    If you didn't think JPP did much this year, then you need to relearn how to watch football. His sack numbers were down, but he was still a disruptive force and one of the best run stopping DEs in the NFL.
    lol...ok kid,,,what we need is for him to get after the QB,,,,what I saw was a guy who was good against the run but couldnt fight through a double team like all the greats do. maybe you should adjust your screen?
    Last edited by ELI_HOF_NYG; 01-22-2013 at 10:27 PM.

lol...ok kid,,,what we need is for him to get after the QB,,,,what I saw was a guy who was good against the run but couldnt fight through a double team like all the greats do. maybe you should adjust your screen?
    So, you don't ***** when Osi loses contain on a run play?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    When did we stop drafting LBers early? and why?
    Heard Reese isn't too big on LBers.
    Essentially LBer has been considered the position(s) to have the least priority with current NFL trends. With the new defenseless receiver rules and the league going towards more of a passing league, CBs and Safeties become paramount on the back end, while the defensive line is always en vogue for the pass rush (this includes 3-4 OLBs). The by product of LBers becoming the last positions to be filled, is that they are also the cheapest positions to fill (which makes them good FA targets).

I think running QBs (Kapernick, Wilson, RGIII, Vick, etc ...) and the return of strong run games (Redskins, Seahawks, 49ers, etc ...) will start having that trend reverse over the next few years (to a degree).

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    awesome post man...dang i haveta kick my own *** for giving u **** all that time before...
    Yes, yes you do

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Do we not have the players to play man to man defense?
    Do we only play man when we can get pressure on the Quarterback?

Also, does anybody know specifically how much zone defense we played this year?
    I would love to go back and go through each game and see if they played more man with Phillips playing. It seemed like the Giants were a more aggressive with their coverage. Giants really only have Prince and Michael Coe " Who is gone now" that are capable press man corners.

Running QB's u have to play more zone or u get what happened to the Packers in the playoffs. U get all your LB's and CB's with their backs turned while a QB has 10 yards before u can get a guy to him

I like the Tampa 2 Defense but U need the Front 4 to be very good and it was pretty pedestrian this season. The Giants missed on Marvin Austin in the draft and that hurt pretty bad. They also have ignored the DE spot for 5 seasons its no wonder they have gotten old. They have added 1 player in 5 Drafts
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 01-23-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Essentially LBer has been considered the position(s) to have the least priority with current NFL trends. With the new defenseless receiver rules and the league going towards more of a passing league, CBs and Safeties become paramount on the back end, while the defensive line is always en vogue for the pass rush (this includes 3-4 OLBs). The by product of LBers becoming the last positions to be filled, is that they are also the cheapest positions to fill (which makes them good FA targets).

I think running QBs (Kapernick, Wilson, RGIII, Vick, etc ...) and the return of strong run games (Redskins, Seahawks, 49ers, etc ...) will start having that trend reverse over the next few years (to a degree).
    It's hard to argue with success. This model worked to bring us two SBs. But personally, I think more empahsis needs to be put on the LBers. They are the guys that contain the run and cover the short and intermediate routes, which is essentially most plays. And yes, these things seem to be cyclical, so a return to LBer prominence will come.
    the "realist" is a lazy piece of crap that works on his tan while sipping a margarita,
    the pessimist changes the sails while complaining about the lazy piece of crap,
    and the optimist changes the sails while hoping the lazy piece of crap will start to do his share of the work.