+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Ault Says Eli Manning Could Run The Pistol Offense

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    You don't need to have running QB to run the Pistol. The formation essentially moves the mesh point between the RB and QB deeper in the backfield opening up more cutback lanes for the RB.
    If you don't need a mobile QB, as the article suggests, is it just a coincidence the teams mentioned in the article all have one?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    If you don't need a mobile QB, as the article suggests, don't the teams mentioned in the article all have one?
    The formation tends to work better with a mobile QB because you can use the zone read. Without a mobile QB when you run the ball you are getting your RB the ball deeper in the backfield and giving him more time to find running lanes. Case and point the Giants did use some Pistol this season and college teams like Syracuse use the formation extensively without a mobile QB.

i forget whic poster, maybe gmen0820, he was talking about this and how hed like to see us use more of the pistol formation...

people need to realize that part of the pistol formation thats actually good for immobile qbs, is that they are already halfway into their drop back by getting the ball in like a half shotgun snap. It kinda adds fractions of a second to the time a qb has to read the defense...and its also effective with running plays and PA's...

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    The formation tends to work better with a mobile QB because you can use the zone read. Without a mobile QB when you run the ball you are getting your RB the ball deeper in the backfield and giving him more time to find running lanes. Case and point the Giants did use some Pistol this season and college teams like Syracuse use the formation extensively without a mobile QB.
    I am just thinking ahead to the "first attempt" that fails and see how long it takes for the "Gilbride Sucks" threads to start lol

When I see RG III run those options with three or four players involved I just can't see the Giants pulling that off, as an example. I'm all for whatever works, but sometimes you just don't have the personnel to make some plays work.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Stick with the run and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i forget whic poster, maybe gmen0820, he was talking about this and how hed like to see us use more of the pistol formation...

people need to realize that part of the pistol formation thats actually good for immobile qbs, is that they are already halfway into their drop back by getting the ball in like a half shotgun snap. It kinda adds fractions of a second to the time a qb has to read the defense...and its also effective with running plays and PA's...
    In a game of seconds and inches, that's enough

# 80

Veteran
    I think we need a solid running game, we ran the ball ok last season but we were switching RBs because they were injured or not good at blocking. If Wilson becomes a better blocker and is the starter I think that will improve this offense a lot.

Pistol? Not on this team. This team has one "trick" play, and one trick play only. That dumbass direct snap to Bradshaw play that average 2.2 yards

Quote Originally Posted by TopleyBird View Post
    Pistol? Not on this team. This team has one "trick" play, and one trick play only. That dumbass direct snap to Bradshaw play that average 2.2 yards
    We have never believed much in "trick plays." I'm not sure the pistol is in that category.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post

Its also good for less athletic QB because for the most part they just have to turn to hand the ball off instead of having to get the ball to mesh point like they would if they were under center.

They whole premise of the pistol is spread the field and make the defense defend the entire field. It helps create space in both the running and the passing games. And if anyone is curious to learn more about the the pistol there is a link below to a guide that was created for youth football but many of the principles are the same.

http://www.fbforyouth.com/Downloads/pistol.pdf

+ Reply to Thread