+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Ault Says Eli Manning Could Run The Pistol Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    I think we need a solid running game, we ran the ball ok last season but we were switching RBs because they were injured or not good at blocking. If Wilson becomes a better blocker and is the starter I think that will improve this offense a lot.
    The running game should improve as long as they don't have Bradshaw as the feature back and Brown's leg heals completely.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Pistol has nothing to do with a mobile QB. Just attempts to combine shotgun and QB under center so you could still have power running.

It splits the difference between the two.

Pistol is not a trick formation or any such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I am just thinking ahead to the "first attempt" that fails and see how long it takes for the "Gilbride Sucks" threads to start lol

When I see RG III run those options with three or four players involved I just can't see the Giants pulling that off, as an example. I'm all for whatever works, but sometimes you just don't have the personnel to make some plays work.
    if our run game is effective, Eli doing a typical PA fake out of the pistol will force the LB's to bite just like vs spread option fakes...and ur point about the game being about inches and seconds, and how fractions of a second can be pivotal...well truer words were never spoken. we always get caught up in looking down the road, whats gonna happen a month, 2 months etc from now, when really, the next second is whats most important...and thats not just true for football, but life as well something i bet someone as wise as u can attest to (and no im not brown nosing, id assume everybody realizes u have that characteristic)

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    Its also good for less athletic QB because for the most part they just have to turn to hand the ball off instead of having to get the ball to mesh point like they would if they were under center.

They whole premise of the pistol is spread the field and make the defense defend the entire field. It helps create space in both the running and the passing games. And if anyone is curious to learn more about the the pistol there is a link below to a guide that was created for youth football but many of the principles are the same.

http://www.fbforyouth.com/Downloads/pistol.pdf
    well said, thaks for the link too bud.

The running game should improve as long as they don't have Bradshaw as the feature back and Brown's leg heals completely.
    wilson is gonna go OFF next year...his running style is just conducive to getting maximum yardage possible. hes burst and power creates an inertia that if he is met at the LOS, he's gonna continue moving forward until the kinetic energy is stopped and hes tackled, but if he can get thru the LOS, the momentum builds and well...its just remarkable. i honest to god would not trade wilson for any rb right now, i mean if AP was viable yeah but even then its not automatic for me. i truly believe wilson is going to be something truly special...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    wilson is gonna go OFF next year...his running style is just conducive to getting maximum yardage possible. hes burst and power creates an inertia that if he is met at the LOS, he's gonna continue moving forward until the kinetic energy is stopped and hes tackled, but if he can get thru the LOS, the momentum builds and well...its just remarkable. i honest to god would not trade wilson for any rb right now, i mean if AP was viable yeah but even then its not automatic for me. i truly believe wilson is going to be something truly special...
    I think Wilson played enough in 2012 to make him much more effective in 2013. The real question, for me, is what role they have in mind for Bradshaw. He can still be effective in a lesser role and, hopefully, at a smaller paycheck.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I think Wilson played enough in 2012 to make him much more effective in 2013. The real question, for me, is what role they have in mind for Bradshaw. He can still be effective in a lesser role and, hopefully, at a smaller paycheck.
    i dunno man thats a good question. did u see bradshaws demeanor just completely change when he wasnt like being featured towards the end of the year? he looked like he had a broken heart. He just may be the passionate, and that proud, that he just cant relinquish the spot he worked years to get to...remember, he backed up BJ for a while too...i dunno. My gut says he will come to terms with it, esp when TC reminds him how important and used hes gonna be...just bc wilsons the thorobread dont mean we cant use bradshaw, and quite a bit too

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i dunno man thats a good question. did u see bradshaws demeanor just completely change when he wasnt like being featured towards the end of the year? he looked like he had a broken heart. He just may be the passionate, and that proud, that he just cant relinquish the spot he worked years to get to...remember, he backed up BJ for a while too...i dunno. My gut says he will come to terms with it, esp when TC reminds him how important and used hes gonna be...just bc wilsons the thorobread dont mean we cant use bradshaw, and quite a bit too
    It's very much like watching the transition from Jacobs to Bradshaw a few years ago. I have nothing against Bradshaw and he's still the best blocking back we have (until the rest catch up) but his feet are going to continue to make him a potential liability.

If you don't need a mobile QB, as the article suggests, is it just a coincidence the teams mentioned in the article all have one?
    Well, that's what's evolved into because it is a great formation for the read option offenses. However, just because it fits that mold the best doesn't mean it's the only kind of offense that can be run from it.

In 'The Last Boy Scout' they used the pistol offense in the opening scene. Unfortunately the quarterback didn't make it too much further.

+ Reply to Thread