+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Chris Ault Says Eli Manning Could Run The Pistol Offense

Water pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/22...rt-griffin-iii

Excerpt: "Chris Ault, architect of the pistol offense employed by the San Francisco 49ers, Washington Redskins, Seattle Seahawks and others, says a team without a running quarterback can still use many of the concepts.

Could the New York Giants run some of the newly-popular -- and wildly successful -- pistol offense, even with the slow-footed Eli Manning at quarterback? Chris Ault, architect of the pistol, told NFL.com on Tuesday that teams with non-running quarterbacks -- like the Giants -- can certainly implement parts of the pistol running attack.

"They could run the pistol formation," Ault said Tuesday on 'NFL AM.' "They don't need to run the read part of it. When we first put the pistol in, in 2005 and 2006 (at Nevada), that's all we ran. We ran the power, the gaps, the counters, the zones, the outside stuff. We did not run the read at that time. So, the pistol offense, the most important thing there, is you can run any offense you've been running. And this is how we created it, and then we advanced the pistol run game -- the read part of it -- two years later." Read more...

No offensive concept works without a bruising offensive line. We haven't had one of them in quite some time.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    No offensive concept works without a bruising offensive line. We haven't had one of them in quite some time.
    We need to address that for real this season. That's one of the reasons I hope we keep Bennett and Beatty.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All-Pro
    Eli Manning could play with a hula hoop too.

The pistol garbage is fad. Defenses will adjust like they have to other gimmick offenses. Relying on Qbs to run in the NFL has a very limited shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post
    You can run the pistol without necessarily having a option or running QB. Quick slants, direct snaps to the RB, and Play action bombs are all effective w/o the threat of a QB run. However, I'm not sure that our completion % or yards per carry would increase at all. No real data to compare.
    Agreed....the Steelers actually ran the pistol when Roethlisberger was injured....the idea is that the running back gets the ball closer to the line of scrimmage than the shotgun, but the QB doesn't need to drop back as much as when he's under center.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by Markroman View Post
    Eli Manning could play with a hula hoop too.

The pistol garbage is fad. Defenses will adjust like they have to other gimmick offenses. Relying on Qbs to run in the NFL has a very limited shelf life.
    Pistol isnt a gimmick, it has nothing to do with a running QB.

Starter

Pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Pistol isnt a gimmick, it has nothing to do with a running QB.
    The last gun incident we had was with Plaxico.

I think Eli could possibly consider adapting a portion of this new fad occasionally, but honestly i think Gilbride would
    hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by paulj View Post
    The last gun incident we had was with Plaxico.

I think Eli could possibly consider adapting a portion of this new fad occasionally, but honestly i think Gilbride would
    hesitate.
    We used it a few times late last season.

Why do you think Gilbride would hesitate?

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    He ran for our first score of the year in '11 against Washington.
    That's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Drystt View Post
    That's right.
    I wonder what the odds in Vegas were on that​!!!!

+ Reply to Thread