+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Ault Says Eli Manning Could Run The Pistol Offense

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I am just thinking ahead to the "first attempt" that fails and see how long it takes for the "Gilbride Sucks" threads to start lol

When I see RG III run those options with three or four players involved I just can't see the Giants pulling that off, as an example. I'm all for whatever works, but sometimes you just don't have the personnel to make some plays work.
    We wouldn't be running the read option aspects of the formation.

Think if it this way, it's like a shotgun formation where nearly the entire running playbook is still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    In 'The Last Boy Scout' they used the pistol offense in the opening scene. Unfortunately the quarterback didn't make it too much further.
    Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Well, that's what's evolved into because it is a great formation for the read option offenses. However, just because it fits that mold the best doesn't mean it's the only kind of offense that can be run from it.
    the reason why its so effective for mobile qbs in the same reason it can be effective for immobile qbs...it opens up a lot more space, more plays can be run from it as u allude to...its a better starting point for mobile QBs...honestly, I think we will see a lot more teams use pistol shotgun formations, even immobile qb teams...i know quite a bit use it already but bc the option read isnt being done its not as noticed...

It's very much like watching the transition from Jacobs to Bradshaw a few years ago. I have nothing against Bradshaw and he's still the best blocking back we have (until the rest catch up) but his feet are going to continue to make him a potential liability.
    i think most of us would have said bradshaw would handle this situation better than BJ, but now that the time is actually upon us, i dunno i feel differently about it. i dont think bradshaw would be vocal and throw tantrum(s) (he might be good for 1 lol), but i dunno. just the way he looked so dejected on the sidelines...im kinda surprised it wasnt talked about as much...u could clearly see bradshaw was no where near as i dunno the word hyped up? he looked somber on the sidelines he really did...no not all the time, but there were several instances i noticed he just looked, well, sad...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i think most of us would have said bradshaw would handle this situation better than BJ, but now that the time is actually upon us, i dunno i feel differently about it. i dont think bradshaw would be vocal and throw tantrum(s) (he might be good for 1 lol), but i dunno. just the way he looked so dejected on the sidelines...im kinda surprised it wasnt talked about as much...u could clearly see bradshaw was no where near as i dunno the word hyped up? he looked somber on the sidelines he really did...no not all the time, but there were several instances i noticed he just looked, well, sad...
    When we lose a job, we go out and find another one (very over simplified, I know). When many professional athletes "lose their job" they have nowhere to go in terms type of employment or salary. It's got to be a very difficult adjustment to come to terms with. You'd think these guys would have "stored nuts away for the winter" when the big bucks were coming in, but all too often that's not the case.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

When we lose a job, we go out and find another one (very over simplified, I know). When many professional athletes "lose their job" they have nowhere to go in terms type of employment or salary. It's got to be a very difficult adjustment to come to terms with. You'd think these guys would have "stored nuts away for the winter" when the big bucks were coming in, but all too often that's not the case.
    Seriously. I know I probably wouldn't have made many wise decisions if I found myself a millionaire at 21.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    You don't need to have running QB to run the Pistol. The formation essentially moves the mesh point between the RB and QB deeper in the backfield opening up more cutback lanes for the RB.
    It would benefit both Wilson and Eli, likewise he would have more options to audible based on coverage, versus that of a shotgun formation into a draw, with the pistol you can audible to both sides into multiple run formats from inside tackles to outside tackles, sweeps, tosses etc

i would like to see that happen next year,

very true. but wouldnt u agree that in bradshaws case its something different than that? i think that his drive, his pride, is so strong that to kinda be told, we can do it better a different way, it like kills him. remember how he and TC had that little back n forth on the sidelines as he was going onto the field? his belief, self conviction is so strong that I think he even realizes what we have with Wilson (and his own condition with feet/knees...were bradshaw healthy, who knows. but he isnt) and i dunno.

with BJ, he threw the tantrums, but i at least still felt he was gonna go out there and be his usual self. i dunno if i can say that with bradshaw. a huge part of his game is playing with that passion and self conviction/belief (its how he can carry 350 lb DT's 6 yds in SB's), if that passion and emotion arent there and even worse, if its negative, then i dont know how he'd be the same effective bradshaw despite my hope thats what we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Seriously. I know I probably wouldn't have made many wise decisions if I found myself a millionaire at 21.
    I blame their handlers
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    very true. but wouldnt u agree that in bradshaws case its something different than that? i think that his drive, his pride, is so strong that to kinda be told, we can do it better a different way, it like kills him. remember how he and TC had that little back n forth on the sidelines as he was going onto the field? his belief, self conviction is so strong that I think he even realizes what we have with Wilson (and his own condition with feet/knees...were bradshaw healthy, who knows. but he isnt) and i dunno.

with BJ, he threw the tantrums, but i at least still felt he was gonna go out there and be his usual self. i dunno if i can say that with bradshaw. a huge part of his game is playing with that passion and self conviction/belief (its how he can carry 350 lb DT's 6 yds in SB's), if that passion and emotion arent there and even worse, if its negative, then i dont know how he'd be the same effective bradshaw despite my hope thats what we get.
    It's easier to see in Brdshaws case. He just wants to play, money is secondary

+ Reply to Thread