+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senior Bowl Week

Senior Bowl Week

The Senior Bowl practice week is arguably the most important week of the offseason for a lot of these players. Fans love the combine, but scouts like the senior bowl week.

So, Because we have a lot of conversation about it going on spread throughout the various draft threads right now, I decided to give the Senior Bowl it's very own thread.

Ill start of with the 1st impressions I had:

Jordan Poyer came in at 6'0 tall which is taller than expect. His skillset has never been in doubt and this measurement will vault his stock up because now scouts will have to look at him in a new way, as something other than just a slot guy.

DJ Fluker came in at 355lbs and reportedly didnt look sloppy at that wieght. I still think the wear and tear on his body at that wieght could be a problem, and I want to see how he does in drills this week as foot quickness might be a problem. But he passed the eye test at that weight, according to scouts.

There are 2 small school guys that have everyone talking right now:

Jonathan Cyprien, DB Florida international reportedly had the best practice of any DB on monday.

Vance McDonald, TE rice. Scouts have seen enough already of his catching and running. If it turns out he can block too, this kid's stock will fly up.

Thanks for the info!
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Rumour has it that Tony Jefferson's stock is getting tore up right now, as some of his old coaches said hes got a terrible work ethic and dosent get in the weight room nearly enough..

This is off Waltfootball.com

Another safety prospect that is trending in the opposite direction is Oklahoma safety Tony Jefferson. Scouts are saying that Jefferson has been getting trashed by some of his former coaches for horrible practice habits and a lack of work ethic in the weight room. Jefferson has a lot of physical talent, but it is really going to hurt his draft stock to have former coaches telling NFL teams to pass on him. A couple sources said they wouldn't be surprised if Jefferson has a free fall in the draft from a second-day pick to the third day. It will be really important for Jefferson to test well and interview well at the Combine.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Rumour has it that Tony Jefferson's stock is getting tore up right now, as some of his old coaches said hes got a terrible work ethic and dosent get in the weight room nearly enough..

This is off Waltfootball.com

Another safety prospect that is trending in the opposite direction is Oklahoma safety Tony Jefferson. Scouts are saying that Jefferson has been getting trashed by some of his former coaches for horrible practice habits and a lack of work ethic in the weight room. Jefferson has a lot of physical talent, but it is really going to hurt his draft stock to have former coaches telling NFL teams to pass on him. A couple sources said they wouldn't be surprised if Jefferson has a free fall in the draft from a second-day pick to the third day. It will be really important for Jefferson to test well and interview well at the Combine.
    Yea I saw that. That is really bad. Coaches usually do the exact opposite for their guys. This will raise flags.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Yea I saw that. That is really bad. Coaches usually do the exact opposite for their guys. This will raise flags.
    Ya, i've never been as high on em as u were, but still, i didn't dislike em enough to be bummed if we drafted em.. Now i certainly would be.. I hope we stay far far away.. Jefferson was never super high on my S rankings anyhow..

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Ya, i've never been as high on em as u were, but still, i didn't dislike em enough to be bummed if we drafted em.. Now i certainly would be.. I hope we stay far far away.. Jefferson was never super high on my S rankings anyhow..
    Well, his play on the field has been pretty good. But when coaches talk ill of a player like that, especially when they are still coaching at that school that has a vested interest in churning out more high picks(for recruiting purposes) then it is an absolute red flag.

Its no trade secret of mine, but 1 of the things I pay the most attention to is what the coaches and teamates have to say, and often what they leave out about former players.

It has paid dividends doing this over the years.

I remember being flamed on these boards for reporting a comment I read about Jimmy Clausen being disliked by his college teammates.

I also remember a few comments by the strength and conditioning coach at Memphis last year about Dontari Poe that I brought to this board. This was way before most people had any idea who this kid even was.

When it comes to character of a kid, which obviously the Giants do care about, the comments and support of the people around the kid means a lot to me. People don't support kids they dislike so if a school or a team has negative things to say about a kid, that is not just a red flag, but a HUGE red flag. Those coaches at Oklahoma actually have a vested interest in Jefferson going sooner rather than later in the draft. It is a huge recruiting tool to say "we had x" number of guys taken in the draft this year and "y" number taken in the 1st 3 rounds. Come to our school and that could be you!. That is just 1 example.

So, for a coach to say something to actually hurt a kid's stock is rare and has to be taken seriously. So if I like a kid or liked a kid it is only based on what I know, and there is no way I can know the practice/ workout habbits of a kid. Im not in their practice.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 01-22-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Well, his play on the field has been pretty good. But when coaches talk ill of a player like that, especially when they are still coaching at that school that has a vested interest in churning out more high picks(for recruiting purposes) then it is an absolute red flag.

Its no trade secret of mine, but 1 of the things I pay the most attention to is what the coaches and teamates have to say, and often what they leave out about former players.

It has paid dividends doing this over the years.

I remember being flamed on these boards for reporting a comment I read about Jimmy Clausen being disliked by his college teammates.

I also remember a few comments by the strength and conditioning coach at Memphis last year about Dontari Poe that I brought to this board. This was way before most people had any idea who this kid even was.

When it comes to character of a kid, which obviously the Giants do care about, the comments and support of the people around the kid means a lot to me. People don't support kids they dislike so if a school or a team has negative things to say about a kid, that is not just a red flag, but a HUGE red flag. Those coaches at Oklahoma actually have a vested interest in Jefferson going sooner rather than later in the draft. It is a huge recruiting tool to say "we had x" number of guys taken in the draft this year and "y" number taken in the 1st 3 rounds. Come to our school and that could be you!. That is just 1 example.

So, for a coach to say something to actually hurt a kid's stock is rare and has to be taken seriously. So if I like a kid or liked a kid it is only based on what I know, and there is no way I can know the practice/ workout habbits of a kid. Im not in their practice.
    I think the biggest red flag for me from Dontari Poe was he did absoulutley nothing in college..lol I did like Claussen, but more so because i am a ND fan, and i might of overrated em some.. I also really like Brady Quinn, and there was nothing that said he wasen't liked by teammates and he has done nothing in pros as well...

As u know with me, i'm a production guy, but every so often, guys with alittle less then norm production will get my praise, for certain reasons, like maybe they just started playing a certain positon, so u expect there production to go up from where ever it was, and maybe u see a few plays that kinda give u the idea the player is getting it, and just needs a bit more time to really evolve..etc Stuff like that... But for most part, i'm a production guy...

The Senior Bowl practice week is arguably the most important week of the offseason for a lot of these players. Fans love the combine, but scouts like the senior bowl week.

So, Because we have a lot of conversation about it going on spread throughout the various draft threads right now, I decided to give the Senior Bowl it's very own thread.

Ill start of with the 1st impressions I had:

Jordan Poyer came in at 6'0 tall which is taller than expect. His skillset has never been in doubt and this measurement will vault his stock up because now scouts will have to look at him in a new way, as something other than just a slot guy.

DJ Fluker came in at 355lbs and reportedly didnt look sloppy at that wieght. I still think the wear and tear on his body at that wieght could be a problem, and I want to see how he does in drills this week as foot quickness might be a problem. But he passed the eye test at that weight, according to scouts.

There are 2 small school guys that have everyone talking right now:

Jonathan Cyprien, DB Florida international reportedly had the best practice of any DB on monday.

Vance McDonald, TE rice. Scouts have seen enough already of his catching and running. If it turns out he can block too, this kid's stock will fly up.
    Thanks for the update bro. I have this kid Cyprien as my 7 round pick in the sub-forum members mock draft. He is relentless. Ironically too bad he had a good day because his stock is going up.

I guess Poyer had a outstanding diving INT , making a beuatiful break on the ball.. I've been high on Poyer since early in the season, having him as a 1st rder before said and done, and worst case early 2nd, and hes pretty much all ready done the early 2nd par.. Poyer was ahead of much hearlded CB's in my personal rankings for some time, and hes showing why with his play at the SR BOWL.. The kid just has "IT" and was born to play CB in the NFL.. I honestly would not mind trading down a handful of spots and selecting the Org St CB and securing a additonal pick if we could.. Not saying thats what i would do, but i woulden't mind.. He would be a great CB to have opposite Prince.. Same with Trufant....

Cool article on some guys that are cruising up draft boards with there success at sr bowl.. Most guys i knew would rise, like Fish and Johnson, and i've been intrigued with Vance McDonald for some time, trying to get redeye to make a video of him for about a month now... Jordan Poyer is 2nd on my CB ranking(personal), ahead of Jon Banks even for some time, so nothing unusual to me, that hes doing so well, and Trufant has impressed me since watching Washingto play Stanford awhile ago...

2013 Senior Bowl: Tuesday risers-fallers
    By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
    January 22, 2013 6:44 pm ET RISERS
    OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan (North Team)
    After two days of practice, it's clear that Eric Fisher has separated himself as the best prospect in Mobile this week. He hasn't been perfect, but he has won more battles than he's lost, displaying the coordination and feet to hold up in space. Although he will get too tall at times, Fisher has shown better base strength than expected to absorb contact and hold his ground to control blockers, flashing a nasty demeanor as well. He has cemented himself as a top-12 pick, and it isn't a stretch to consider him one of this year's top prospects.

TE Vance McDonald, Rice (South Team)
    With Travis Kelce pulling out of the Senior Bowl due to injury, the distinction of top tight end in Mobile is wide open, but Vance McDonald is making a strong case for the spot. He looks the part with broad shoulders, long arms (34.5 inch) and big hands (10 inch) to extend and pluck the ball out of the air. McDonald also looked aggressive during blocking drills, staying balanced through contact and flashing a finishing attitude. He did have some drops on Tuesday when trying to run before securing the grab, but for the most part, McDonald has been impressive this week and is making a strong case to be a top-100 pick in April.

WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech (South Team)
    Although this year's senior wide receiver group doesn't have a lock first-round talent, Quinton Patton is making a strong case to be considered among the top-32 picks. Thus far at practice, he has looked more impressive than Baylor's Terrance Williams and others with his controlled athleticism to separate and change gears. Patton doesn't have elite size (6-foot, 202) or speed, but he plays fast and balanced with the hands to be a reliable go-to target. He likely won't get out of the top-60 selections.

OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma (South Team)
    There is no question that Eric Fisher has been spectacular thus far, but Lane Johnson has also been impressive and isn't far behind Fisher in the tackle rankings. Lining up at both left and right tackle, he has looked very natural in his kickslide off the snap with a very wide base to cover a lot of ground, not lumbering or struggling to adjust to edge rushers. Johnson has only two years of experience on the offensive line and it shows at times, but his combination of length (35-inch arms), hand strength and movement skills should guarantee him a spot in the top-20 picks, possibly in the top-15.

DE Datone Jones, UCLA (North Team)
    After an impressive practice on Monday, Datone Jones kept the momentum going on Tuesday, standing out as one of the best defensive stars on the North squad. He is very strong from head to toe and does a nice job using his powerful arms and hands to rip past blockers. He wasn't overly productive as a pass rusher at UCLA, largely due to the fact that he was moved all over the Bruins' hybrid 3-4 scheme, but he did make 19 tackles for loss as a senior with his impressive blend of burst and power to dispose of blockers at the point of attack. Jones is a name that will start to appear in first-round mock drafts moving forward.

FALLERS
    C Braxston Cave, Notre Dame (North Team)
    This year's crop of centers leaves much to be desired, and the group in Mobile hasn't done much to change that opinion. Braxston Cave was the anchor of Notre Dame's offensive line this past season, but he has struggled to sustain blocks during practice this week, playing tight and lacking the athleticism to recover. He needs to be more aggressive with his hands and stay balanced in his stance to control defenders and not overextend himself.

CB Will Davis, Utah State (North Team)
    After a strong senior season, Will Davis created some buzz as a possible early-round draft choice, but so far through two practices, he hasn't lived up to those expectations. He has struggled on an island in man coverage, playing undisciplined and often getting turned around by receivers. Davis has the athleticism and ability to potentially start at the next level, but he needs to do a better job staying balanced to anticipate routes and gain accurate position.

DRAFT NOTES:
    -- Syracuse offensive tackle Justin Pugh is an intriguing prospect, but through two practices it has become more evident that his best position is probably inside at guard. He has the mobility and body control to protect the edge, but he has suspect core strength and struggles to properly use his hands to control rushers at the point of attack. Pugh also lacks the length (31.5-inch arms) and growth potential to convince NFL teams he can stay at left tackle.

-- While tight end Vance McDonald has impressed on the South squad, Colorado tight end Nick Kasa has stood out on the North team. A former defensive end, he didn't make the move to offense until late last season, entering the 2012 campaign with just one career catch on his resume. Kasa plays a bit tight and bulky, but he is an intriguing athlete and has really impressed as a blocker this week. He obviously needs some more seasoning, but the tools are there for Kasa to be an interesting developmental draft choice early on the third day.

-- The South team has been mixing and matching their offensive linemen through the first two practices with players like Lane Johnson and Oday Aboushi seeing reps on both the left and right sides. Florida tackle Xavier Nixon also has moved around the offensive line this week, seeing extensive time at left tackle, where he lined up mostly in Gainesville, but also taking reps inside at left guard on Tuesday. He flashed the hand strength to deliver a jolt off the snap and hold his ground, but his best attribute is his feet and athleticism, which makes him a better fit on the outside.

-- Oregon offensive lineman Kyle Long was absent from the South practice on Tuesday due to dehydration, according to his Twitter account. He needed an IV for over an hour and had a tough time keeping food or liquids down, However, he is expected to be back on the practice field on Wednesday.

+ Reply to Thread