+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Senior Bowl Week

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Well, his play on the field has been pretty good. But when coaches talk ill of a player like that, especially when they are still coaching at that school that has a vested interest in churning out more high picks(for recruiting purposes) then it is an absolute red flag.

Its no trade secret of mine, but 1 of the things I pay the most attention to is what the coaches and teamates have to say, and often what they leave out about former players.

It has paid dividends doing this over the years.

I remember being flamed on these boards for reporting a comment I read about Jimmy Clausen being disliked by his college teammates.

I also remember a few comments by the strength and conditioning coach at Memphis last year about Dontari Poe that I brought to this board. This was way before most people had any idea who this kid even was.

When it comes to character of a kid, which obviously the Giants do care about, the comments and support of the people around the kid means a lot to me. People don't support kids they dislike so if a school or a team has negative things to say about a kid, that is not just a red flag, but a HUGE red flag. Those coaches at Oklahoma actually have a vested interest in Jefferson going sooner rather than later in the draft. It is a huge recruiting tool to say "we had x" number of guys taken in the draft this year and "y" number taken in the 1st 3 rounds. Come to our school and that could be you!. That is just 1 example.

So, for a coach to say something to actually hurt a kid's stock is rare and has to be taken seriously. So if I like a kid or liked a kid it is only based on what I know, and there is no way I can know the practice/ workout habbits of a kid. Im not in their practice.
    Good post.

I started a thread about it, but heres waltfootballs prospect meeting list from today, and its got GIANTS meeting with Brian Winters OT/G Kent St on it.. A player i've coveted for sometime and reminds me of a GIANTS type draft pick..

2013 Senior Bowl: Wednesday Prospect Meetings Report (North Team)

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Here is a recap of the player interviews that were conducted on the field after Wednesday's practice by the North team. Typically, these interviews with area scouts are to set up longer, formal interviews for a night during the week. While teams say they "talk" to every player, teams do not take the time to conduct formal interviews with every draft prospect, so this can be a clue as to which players are on their radar.

Chicago - Missouri Southern defensive tackle Brandon Williams

Denver - Fresno State safety Philip Thomas

New Orleans - Missouri Southern defensive tackle Brandon Williams

New York Giants - Kent State tackle Brian Winters

New York Jets - Purdue defensive tackle Kawann Short

Philadelphia - Oregon State wide receiver Markus Wheaton, Colorado tight end Nick Kasa, Illinois defensive end Michael Buchanan, Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin and Connecticut cornerback Dwayne Gratz

San Diego - UCLA defensive end Datone Jones and North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams

San Francisco - Fresno State safety Philip Thomas

St. Louis - North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams and Connecticut cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson

Washington - Fresno State safety Philip Thomas

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have conducted interviews with Cornell guard J.C. Tretter, Kent State tackle Brian Winters, San Jose State guard Dan Quessenberry and Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin.

Baltimore Ravens senior personnel assistant George Kokinis interviewed Syracuse tackle Justin Pugh and Connecticut cornerback Dwayne Gratz.

I thought Brian Schwenke looked superb in the 1on1s. The OL and DL in general were a fun watch. Some good players to handpick from the trenches.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    I thought Brian Schwenke looked superb in the 1on1s. The OL and DL in general were a fun watch. Some good players to handpick from the trenches.
    I don't know much about Scwenke, but i have noticed him in the 3rd-4th range by some draft places, and his measurables are pretty solid as well...

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    I don't know much about Scwenke, but i have noticed him in the 3rd-4th range by some draft places, and his measurables are pretty solid as well...
    Schwenke did look great. I wonder if the Giants would entertain the thought of drafting a Center and moving Baas to LG, where supposedly he was a better player.

+ Reply to Thread