+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adrien Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    If JR really believes in Robinson, he may not even re-sign Bennett. He's done just that sort of thing to us in the past, where everyone anticipates he will do something, but he does something else, knowing he has someone special waiting in the wings. That said, I sure hope he re-signs Bennett.
    Thats what I was saying about James Brewer and the RT spot the Giants may be thinking he is the RT next season

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    I sure as hell hope not.. we need the Black Unicorn and all his magical powers..
    Bennett is an entertaining guy and the Black Unicorn thing is funny but we didn't see many magical powers last year. He is an NFL calibre TE and nothing more. If we can get him for "ordinary" money then we should. If not, save the $$ and rebuild the OL. TE is not going to ever be critical to a Gilbride offense, so why burn a bunch of cash there?
    No one remembers who came in second.

I don't feel we spend much at TE again this year. I think Bennett goes elsewhere via FA by getting a larger contract. Pascoe and Robinson may be the TEs of our 2013 season, with the addition of another TE either later in the draft or FA, but a cheap one.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=144536&dateline=14121  66338

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Didnt JR say they were thinking 5th round but didnt have a 5th round pick and he was the highest graded guy so they took him. I thought I read that after the draft or maybe I hallucinated it
    you are correct i remember that clearly...

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Bennett is an entertaining guy and the Black Unicorn thing is funny but we didn't see many magical powers last year. He is an NFL calibre TE and nothing more. If we can get him for "ordinary" money then we should. If not, save the $$ and rebuild the OL. TE is not going to ever be critical to a Gilbride offense, so why burn a bunch of cash there?
    I'm not sure a bunch of cash is involved other than the already obscene salaries most players get. For his first year in this system, I think he put up better than average numbers, and should be a better player for us this coming season. For a position thought of more as a linemen than a receiver, making 55 receptions and 5 TDs (second to only Cruz). I think he will provide a key link in the OLine in 2013 and it would be better to have him with us than break in someone new.

If Robinson were ready he'd have been playing in 2012. Pascoe has not measured up but is versatile and can block.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Thats what I was saying about James Brewer and the RT spot the Giants may be thinking he is the RT next season
    God I hope not. The guy was awful last preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    God I hope not. The guy was awful last preseason.
    Yup....

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I'm not sure a bunch of cash is involved other than the already obscene salaries most players get. For his first year in this system, I think he put up better than average numbers, and should be a better player for us this coming season. For a position thought of more as a linemen than a receiver, making 55 receptions and 5 TDs (second to only Cruz). I think he will provide a key link in the OLine in 2013 and it would be better to have him with us than break in someone new.

If Robinson were ready he'd have been playing in 2012. Pascoe has not measured up but is versatile and can block.
    But aren't 55 receptions ordinary? And isn't "first year in the system" an excuse? Ballard was a rookie and had 38 catches with 4 TD's in only 13 starts...........no rookie excuses there. I like the guy, respect his durability and impact at the edge of the line. I just don't want us getting carried away by paying for more than he's worth............not worried about JR on that front so let's hope he's back next year and we can move onto the really important stuff like finding OL and LB replacements.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    But aren't 55 receptions ordinary? And isn't "first year in the system" an excuse? Ballard was a rookie and had 38 catches with 4 TD's in only 13 starts...........no rookie excuses there. I like the guy, respect his durability and impact at the edge of the line. I just don't want us getting carried away by paying for more than he's worth............not worried about JR on that front so let's hope he's back next year and we can move onto the really important stuff like finding OL and LB replacements.
    First year in the system isn't an excuse, it's a reference point. My hope is he will be better this season which is logical but not always a reality. As far as 55 catches with 5 TDs being ordinary, I look at it a little differently. He's a lineman first and caught more passes and scored more TDs than most of the wide receivers. I want him back because of his blocking first, and receiving second.

I do wish I knew more about all of this CAP stuff and how it all works. Restructuring alters the playing field, workout bonuses alter the playing field, guaranteed money alters the playing field, and releasing a player under contract doesn't necessarily release all or part of his salary. So if releasing Canty means we get all of his salary out from under the CAP, then fine if he's not teh right guy for the job.

But if, as with Bradshaw and Baas as examples, releasing them would cost us in excess of $9M then it's not as simple as it may appear.

I desperately want tomorrow to be the night before the first preseason game
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-23-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1