+ Reply to Thread

Chase Thomas drawing alot of interst from 4/3 teams...

Rumour has it, a ton of 4/3 teams are interviewing and taking a liking to Chase Thomas of stanford, and its said, not for SLB, but DE... A very strong guy, who can bull rush well, and plays with alot of tenacity, and solid length, are a few reasons why i suppose.. Do u guys think Thomas can bulk up some and play DE in a 4/3? I don't really see it personally...

I guess, why not. I'd rather have him as a strong side LB.. what NY needs..

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    I guess, why not. I'd rather have him as a strong side LB.. what NY needs..
    I would imagine he'd have to bulk up, he only was listed at 241lbs at yesterdays weigh in though.. I could see putting him there on some pass plays or something, but i just can't see him playing END for the majority of a full NFL game , wk in and wk out, without gaining at least 10-13 more lbs, and that would hinder his athletic abiilty, which all ready isn't his fortay..

It just goes2 show u, the more we think we know, the less we know..

teams talk to everyone at the senior bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    teams talk to everyone at the senior bowl.
    The Article speciafically says 43 teams looking at em for DE... I'm hoping that the writer has heard this from someone adn isn't just assuming its DE and not a pass rushing SLB..

Former Stanford LB Chase Thomas drawing interest from 3-4, 4-3 teams
    By Matt Rybaltowski | CBSSports.com
    January 22, 2013 8:26 pm ET Though former Stanford defensive coordinator Vic Fangio has moved on to the NFL, he still remains in close contact with many of his former Cardinal players.

Fangio, the second-year 49ers' defensive coordinator, has helped prepare a number of the Stanford defenders for the next level by sending them film on the 49ers' suffocating defense. For former Stanford LB Chase Thomas, the cut-ups on Aldon Smith have provided him with a way to hone his pass-rushing skills.

“He does a little stutter, he'll go straight into a bull rush and then he'll go inside,” Thomas said. “It's kind of a three-way move he has going on.”

In 2012, Thomas was one of just two defensive players in the Pac-12 to earn First Team all-conference honors for the second consecutive season. The 6-3, 241 pound linebacker tied Ben Gardner for a team-high 14.5 tackles for loss and also tied Gardner for second in sacks with 7.5.

At this week's Senior Bowl, Thomas has drawn interest from 3-4 teams as an outside linebacker and 4-3 teams as a defensive end. The Texans and Chiefs are among the 3-4 teams Thomas has met with this week. He's also had brief meetings with a number of 4-3 teams, including the Cowboys, Dolphins, Jaguars, Falcons and Bucs. The Cowboys are planning on switching to a 4-3 after the hiring of Monte Kiffin.

“A lot of them talk about how I can play strongside linebacker and play over the tight end, which is pretty much the same thing I did at Stanford,” Thomas said.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz, who is coaching the South team, has been impressed with Thomas' play.

“He's very smart,” Schwartz said. “He's shown good football sense on the field.”

Right... They want him to play the up LB in an over/under front. Almost the same position as a 3-4 OLB, but with less pass rush responsibility.

Thomas isnt a pass rusher. Hes a Jarrett Johnson type.

He is great at setting the edge. Thats what he will do in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Rumour has it, a ton of 4/3 teams are interviewing and taking a liking to Chase Thomas of stanford, and its said, not for SLB, but DE... A very strong guy, who can bull rush well, and plays with alot of tenacity, and solid length, are a few reasons why i suppose.. Do u guys think Thomas can bulk up some and play DE in a 4/3? I don't really see it personally...
    He'd have to put on at least 20 lbs. and from what I gather, his upside is that he's got great range from the LB position at his current size.

I don't see him as a 4-3 DE either but I guess that would depend on his commitment to the position and how desperate a team is to have a DE