+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mock take 2

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I've watched a lot of video of Ansah. His speed to close is very impressive. But I have never seen him dip around the edge. He just doesn't do it. He does not explode off the ball either.

Combine those two, and you have a guy who is probably better off as a 5 tech. He's not a natural edge guy.
    I do understand your point but I truly believe he still learning the game, to say not a natural edge rusher is accepting he is a finished product and here is where I think he could mature into a complete DE, a freakish one for that matter. Still I'm very impress in his closing speed, in how fast he reads and reacts in the running game and how ridiculous the opps. looks when he runs down RBs and TE in the backfield or in the screen game. The only occasions I saw him out of sync it was against teams running the pistol Offense or the option. Other than that solid all around.
    Last edited by G-Men Surg.; 01-25-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    I do understand your point but I truly believe he still learning the game, to say not a natural edge rusher is accepting he is a finished product and here is where I think he could mature into a complete DE, a freakish one for that matter. Still I'm very impress in his closing speed, in how fast he reads and reacts in the running game and how ridiculous the opps. looks when he runs down RBs and TE in the backfield or in the screen game. The only occasions I saw him out of sync it was against teams running the pistol Offense or the option. Other than that solid all around.
    I don't think he can "learn" the flexibility to dip around the edge. That's a natural gift. He could learn to play with better leverage and use his hands better. But none of that will ever make him a premiere edge guy, IMO. There's a chance he could be an 8 or so sack a year guy. But that may be about it

I don't think he can "learn" the flexibility to dip around the edge. That's a natural gift. He could learn to play with better leverage and use his hands better. But none of that will ever make him a premiere edge guy, IMO. There's a chance he could be an 8 or so sack a year guy. But that may be about it
    Not sure I agree with that. A lot of popular edge rushers have stiff hips. Bending at the waist at an extreme angle is just one method of disengaging the lineman and closing the gap quickly (ala Dumerville). Osi and Strahan both have/had very stiff hips and they're known as premier edge rushers.

But to your point, I see Ansah playing the strong side and setting the edge rather than beating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Not sure I agree with that. A lot of popular edge rushers have stiff hips. Bending at the waist at an extreme angle is just one method of disengaging the lineman and closing the gap quickly (ala Dumerville). Osi and Strahan both have/had very stiff hips and they're known as premier edge rushers.

But to your point, I see Ansah playing the strong side and setting the edge rather than beating it.
    Both Strahan and Osi won off the edge, with a combo of burst (better than Ansah), flexibility (better than Ansah), and far better hand usage. And not just hip flexibility, Osi and Strahan had great ankle flexibility too, they could loop around and maintain speed and balance, something Ansah has never shown.

Ansah's edge rushing video consists of a bull rush into the OL every time. I have never seen in all his film a single time where he won to the outside with any combination of burst/flexibility/or hand usage.

He doesnt even attempt to take the edge, he fights to the inside almost every play.

Yes hes strong and he has amazing chase speed, you dont get that at the snap. The OL just inside sets and prepares for the bull rush because they have no fear at all of him going outside.

I just think its a huge projection to take him as an edge rusher. Now if you put him inside at 5t, give him 1 gap to hit, or tell him to jam the OL back into the QB, and you focus on his hand usage, he could be a really good player.

Sorr bro but I don't " buy " your theory on that. Even JPP depends in fast moves and power to get around or through linemen, look at his film in college and this past 3 years with Big Blue, he doesn't depend on " that natural gift " like you mention like Osi, Von Miller and others. JJP and Ezekiel are just a diferent breed of players. That same skill to run down runners and TE is displayed when he attacks the passer. If you are not sold on him I respect that but don't kid your self he is worthy of the 19th pick. That been said it looks more and more ( senior bowl and wait for the numbers he will put up in the combine ) like he will be long gone before Big Blue turn comes up in the 1 st.

round 1 - CB - Xavier Rhodes
    Big physical CB, fits if the giants want to run more tampa 2.

round 2 - ILB - Arthur Brown
    Think he can play inside in a 4-3. Best stack/shed LB in the draft

round 3 - DE - Corey Lemonier
    Undersized, but could be a great sub package rusher. But him at DE on passing downs and move Tuck/Kiwi inside.

round 4 - OLB - Sio Moore
    Going to be at a minimum a very good ST player, but I think eventually he could play some SAM, could offer some ability as a blitzer as well.

round 5 - DT - Bennie Logan
    Think he is the next Barry Cofield

round 6 - TE Michael Williams
    Tremendous blocker, potentially could add some weight and move to OT. Could be a great replacement for Pascoe at least

round 7 - K Dustin Hopkins
    If Tynes is not brought back need to bring in some kickers to compete for the job.
    what no ziggy ansah? like everyone else seems to be sure of? I love this kid Rhodes,,,like you said, big and physical..let me ask you this cause you seem to be the shed/block enforcer,,,is this something that other players can fix through strengthening and technique? and although 38,,I would love to see the giants take a look at phil dawson,,even if it's only a few years, long enough to groom another.

+ Reply to Thread